Reds on Fire!

It certainly looked like a great day to get on the water yesterday from a wind and weather standpoint so I grabbed my gear and cast net and headed out to see what the LORD had in store for me. It started out a little rough as I hit something with my lower unit despite the fact that I was in the channel. Then my gas line detached and the motor shut down until I noticed it off. I quickly reattached it and got back on plane....As I came up to the flats to start chumming I could see lots of activity and figured bait would come fast which it did.....

After a quick rinse down I was soon on plane for a short jog over to a nearby pot hole. There were tons of mullet swimming and milling around but no red takers on any of my live baits or with the spoon. Looking back I probably should have went to the top water mullet imitator but I didnt do that. After about an hour I jumped up and ran a short distance again to check out some sand hole depressions and again saw nothing to make me want to stop and fish hard. I trolled for a few minutes and then headed a couple hundred yards away to check out yet another area.....

It was here that the catching officially began. I used the gold spoon and worked over the intrance to a cut, in a nice little 3 ft. drop off area. The water did not reach the bushes yet and as it turned out the fish were staging now on the beginning of the incoming right out off of them about 30 ft......my first few cranks on the reel came and went, then I was slammed hard by a red that broke me at the power pro/leader. I quickly retied and sent another spoon flying back out over that area of interest...after about 10 ft. I was slammed again! A quick pic and release with this 11 spotted redfish that went 24 inches and healthy....

cid_X_MA2_1322095811aol.jpg

cid_X_MA1_1322095811aol.jpg

I ended up picking up 5 more reds all in the mid slot size all on the spoon. I did get one fish to eat a pin fish and missed maybe two others.....this spot was slowing down and with that I headed far south to look over a vast flat but as I arrived I noticed a boat full of anglers and I could not get in. It would have been intruding to do so. I did notice that the mullet were very happy now and jumping with vigor...a good sign....

It was now later in the morning and since we had a helping wind I thought maybe I could hit the last spot of the day. I jumped up and taxied to the area and approached on the trolling motor. Again, many mulllet acting like kids in the water at the beach. I was hopeful. My first baits hit the water and were eaten within 5 minutes. 3 fish back to back to back. And then it shut down for a few.....here is the first landed...

cid_X_MA3_1322095811aol.jpg

I made a short move on the tm and put the power pole back down...the first baits out now were smashed again and the onslaught was on! For the next hour or 2 the fish were in a frenzy. I went through 75 pin fish easily as the redfish and 2 big trout were dining. Here is pic of a beautiful 24 inch Gator Trout that devoured a pin.....

cid_X_MA4_1322095811aol.jpg

And as the tide and I both wore down I realized that it was time to get on in. It had been an incredible day with lots and lots of fish and all of them really quality fish. I am so thankful to have such a wonderful family and friends. I thank the LORD for PISound and the great fishery that it is. I feel truly blessed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....

Replies

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,381 Officer
    Man, you tore-um-up. Good pics.
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    Thanks SCFD, it was a shame my partners werent out there with me. Isnt that what happens half the time? Get on a good bite and your buddies have to work....
  • reeladventuresreeladventures Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Way to go! Awesome report! Sounds like you sure are blessed!
    2015 Hewes Redfisher18
  • CaptCapeCoralCaptCapeCoral Posts: 137 Officer
    Great job, That is a Sweeet Trout!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    Cape,

I was using huge pin fish and clipping the tails off.....the reds and trout really got aggressive and that trout was as fat as a football....thanks bro.
  • FlatNastyFlatNasty Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    good job! ur rite the reds are on fire!!!!