cobia

Have yall ever cobia fished from a kayak around canaveral or daytona? Im looking to get up on some cobia but my only boat option is my kayak. I might have to fly solo as well. Any words of advice or locations?
If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 

Replies

• zerepenerzerepener Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    edited April 13 #2
    I don't kayak fish but I'm sure that it's possible.  Sight fishing for them will be difficult due to your height above the water and the fact that power boats will beat you to them.  I used to fish for them out of the port on my Gheenoe with some success but at least I had range.  If I were to try it, I would probably put a pinfish or a croaker on a jig and drift with it on or near the bottom near the channel.  You will definitely catch something doing that, but only a chance that it would be a cobia.  Have something to pitch ready though because the cobia will come to you and just hang out under the boat sometimes.  A better plan is to drive up and down the beach and look for the Schools of drum or tarpon.  Cobia hang out near other schools of fish
  • ShoNuffNoahShoNuffNoah Edgewater, FLPosts: 74 Greenhorn
    I would try to go to one of those Flagler Ave Reef Balls and use a balloon with a mullet or crab, guaranteed to be some kind of fun action as it continues to warm up!  
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 823 Officer
    Where do yall think would be the best place to go out of? Im trying to get my friend to take out his boat but chances of that are slim.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    Go right off New Smyrna Beach, If you go down the north causeway, that turns into flagler avenue.  Drive on the beach, launch your kayak and paddle to those reef markers.  You can catch tripletail, blues, whitning, reds, flounder, etc.  Last week I caught a handful of Spanish and blues trolling a small silver spoon around those buoys.  when it warms up I have a feeling kings will be hanging out there too.
  • reelfirereelfire ny/flaPosts: 32 Greenhorn
    Have yall ever cobia fished from a kayak around canaveral or daytona? Im looking to get up on some cobia but my only boat option is my kayak. I might have to fly solo as well. Any words of advice or locations?

Ill be moving to Port Orange in June. Im up to try anything. Cobia are on my bucketlist. Have a peddle yak with electric motor.
    If you aren't fishing on the edge, youre probably blocking the channel.
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,378 Moderator
    Found Cobia on manta rays really tight to Playalinda beach last Friday. As others have said, its going to be tough to spot from a kayak and don't think people won't pull up on you because they will. Was fighting one and had 2 others still casting at the ray the other day when a dude in a little "tower" bay boat pulled right up to the ray and set up to cast.  :|
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
    reelfire said:

Ill be moving to Port Orange in June. Im up to try anything. Cobia are on my bucketlist. Have a peddle yak with electric motor.
    I dont have one I just have ol reliable. We should definitley go out though.
    Fletch said:
    Found Cobia on manta rays really tight to Playalinda beach last Friday. As others have said, its going to be tough to spot from a kayak and don't think people won't pull up on you because they will. Was fighting one and had 2 others still casting at the ray the other day when a dude in a little "tower" bay boat pulled right up to the ray and set up to cast.  :|
    Would they even pull up to a dude on a kayak, I mean thats pretty dangerous...
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,657 Admiral
    absolutely people will.   There are no manners on the water anymore.   They see a fish, they'll run you over to get it. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    absolutely people will.   There are no manners on the water anymore.   They see a fish, they'll run you over to get it. 
    Thats just wrong man. Whatever happened to decency?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,657 Admiral
    edited April 17 #12
    yeah....IDK.   I try to be careful and mindful on the water.   But with so many "new" boaters out there that have no experience that's just the way it goes.   If you follow the Qualified captain on IG you see it every day.  Stupid people doing stupid things because they have way more money than brains.  

My family went on the lake 2 years ago and my brother and his GF came along, she had a pair of jetskis.  He gets on one and 10' from the ramp just guns it, not knowing any better. I hollar at him "WOAHHHH" and slow him down.  Then explain to him what a no wake zone is and where he needs to go to cut it loose.   After that he was fine but not everyone has someone to slow them down and show them.  

which is ironic because no one showed me crap, i just went out on the water and paid attention.   Looked at signs, watched what other boaters were doing, etc.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Yeah, I think with fisherman a lot of the problem comes from guys with the mentality that "this is MY spot". Guess just dont know how to share the water. My dad definitley instilled fishing etiquette in me and I have been rude once and felt horrible for moving into that guys spot. Fishing etiquette drastically needs to make a comeback. 
    Holler at me when you move to Port Orange, I'm always looking for someone new to fish with!
    reelfire said:

I dont have one I just have ol reliable. We should definitley go out though.
    Anytime you want to head out anywhere. Im up for it if Im not working. No wife, no kids no pets. Im free to fish finally.
    reelfire said:
    Anytime you want to head out anywhere. Im up for it if Im not working. No wife, no kids no pets. Im free to fish finally.
    Sweet man sounds good!
    Holler at me when you move to Port Orange, I'm always looking for someone new to fish with!
    Ill holler at you man, we will make it happen