Rod/reel question?

Dog GuideDog Guide Posts: 193 Deckhand
I have just bought 3 Penn Battle combos with the 6000 reel spooled with 450 yds of 30# braid on 7' MH rods and am considering a conventional trolling combo as well BUT I don't want to spend another $300-400 for a good one.  Will be trolling/casting for Mahi and anything else that might swim by and bridge fishing Tarpon.

Do i need a trolling rod? Is it a waste to get a cheap one even for a week?  I just have this image of a cheap reel siezing up when that 50# Mahi or Wahoo hits.

I have 5 great Shimano 2500 sized set ups for the general inshore or casting to schoolies.
Member since 2001 but this **** format makes me look like a newb.:huh

Replies

• msk99msk99 Posts: 354 Deckhand
    I'm just a few years into this game and bought a few used Penn Senator 3/0 and 4/0 off EBay for under a hundy each.  Then I bought a few of the cheap Penn Mariner II rods that are going on 4 years old now.  The guides are crap but that's all I could afford to get me up and running.  This setup has worked well for me and only cost 125 per rig and they've held up just fine. One by one I'll swap out the mariner rods with better quality rods....as finances allow me.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,138 AG
    check some local pawn shops you can sometimes find older penn senators and get them rebuilt or just use them as is.  Way cheaper as an entry level setup until you feel like you want to spend more money.  i'm just going to troll with spinning reels for now when i'm in the mood.    the fish don't seem to know the difference. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • TONY_YNOTTONY_YNOT Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    I personally would have at least 2 trolling setups. Rigged Ballyhoo on one, and the other a Yozuri or Rapala X-rap. Run and gun for Mahi doesn't always work if you can't find any structure or debris. Trolling you can find other pelagic species (kingfish, wahoo, tuna & etc).

I have a Penn 6/0HLW (high speed + wide spool) on a Star Rod Hand Crafted Rod B30/80HC 5'9", that I wouldn't mind parting with. Rod and Reel have been lightly used, always rinsed and lubed. Perfect trolling setup, or bottom fishing combo.

• AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,992 Captain
    Unless targeting wahoo we use mainly spinners for trolling(6500 and 8500).  Also put a topshot of mono to help with tangles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,104 Admiral
    I personally hate spinning rods and only use them for bailing dolphin. I would have 2 4/0s or TLDs for trolling and 2 spinners if that is all your budget allows.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Walleye33Walleye33 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    AOKRVs said:
    Unless targeting wahoo we use mainly spinners for trolling(6500 and 8500).  Also put a topshot of mono to help with tangles.
    Can u share the braid / top shot ratio and line weight?
    also do u run colored top shots?
    6500 - 50lb braid - 30lb hi vis yellow
    8500 - 65lb braid - 40lb
    about 150 yds of mono
    TLD25 is a great entry level conv. for trolling
    Spinners are more versatile - Troll, pitch, jig, reef, bridges, bottom etc
    If budget only allows one more outfit, I would make it a 8500
    unless you are only trolling
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

573-216-4078

• Walleye33Walleye33 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thank u!  R u running hollow core for the braid?
  • Dog GuideDog Guide Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the comments guys.  I have assembled 3 Penn Battle 6000 spinning reels on  7' MH Battle rods (all with 450+ yds of 30# braid) and 1 Penn Squall 30 (conventional) on a 7 M rod spooled with 450 yds of 40# braid.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,644 Moderator
    edited April 19 #11
    All I can say is, for trolling you are making a mistake with the braid.  For pelagics which hit hard, run fast and surge a lot, you need the stretch of mono.  I know you have a lot of $ invested in the braid, but at least add a long, 50-100' top shot of mono.  Braid is NOT the cure all for fishing.  It has it's place, trolling is not one of them
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,295 Officer
    edited April 19 #12

I agree with Hexter for most trolling. However braid is commonly used in deep trolling with planers, I just set up a detachable planar wind-on bridle rig on a 6/0 and a old custom rod with large roller guides that was build for marlin. Tested in out not too long ago and it worked perfect, but a lot of scattered grass made it very difficult on a solo trip.

The three component fluorocarbon leader is 65 ft long and is attached to 80 lb braid. The cost of the mono leader, planar, spiro swivels, offshore swivel, and lure is about 80 bucks. Now I just have to catch a fish on it.

Giimoozaabi
  • Dog GuideDog Guide Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Point taken on the braid.  I have no problem adding a 100' of mono and then 10-12' of fluoro.  The reasoning for the braid was simply more is better as in line capacity.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    jack is correct, Mono is best for trolling.  i bet you could find a used TLD 30 or something set up for 200 bucks or so.  Running gunning is best, but sometimes you do need to troll a weedline, or a rip, or a floater.  You can troll with the spinners for dolphin and tuna but definitely add 100 yards at least of mono top shot. 
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Dog Guide said:
    Thanks for all the comments guys.  I have assembled 3 Penn Battle 6000 spinning reels on  7' MH Battle rods (all with 450+ yds of 30# braid) and 1 Penn Squall 30 (conventional) on a 7 M rod spooled with 450 yds of 40# braid.
    Take the braid off the squall and fill it with 30lb mono.  You can still save the braid and roll it on to a spool.  I dont recommend braid on any conventional unless you are jigging.
    Dog Guide said:
    Point taken on the braid.  I have no problem adding a 100' of mono and then 10-12' of fluoro.  The reasoning for the braid was simply more is better as in line capacity.
    Need a min of 100yds not feet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

573-216-4078

• rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 660 Officer
    I am familiar with the penn battle. I like them, but there is a significant difference between the 6000 and 8000 in terms of “cranking power”. I would never use 6000’s on the troll Then again when I used to go with my dad 15-20 years ago we used 6000’s exclusively. There were many times when my dad and I fought fish for over an hour on 25/30 pound mono. That’s when catching 30+ pound dolphin was a guarantee. nowadays we know how much more challenging it is to get your shot at one. 
    I know for a fact that I hook and land more fish compared to with my father and family from the past. The key- I have an adjustable levered drag on conventional reels. 
    Now I can and sometimes troll with spinners, but I limit the type of bait/lure that I’m using. 
    Good luck with your decision.