This weekend- help me decide.

cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 118 Deckhand
Ok fishing machines - as someone wih 1 whole year of experience in the NE F la offshore scene,  I’ve been studying and wondering about all of your predictions on winds/waves/swell over the past few months because my sea predictions have gotten me nothing but beaten up with a sore back.  For this weekend I’ve checked noaa, the wind apps and every other source I can think of but I am stuck.  I would love to chase cobia on wrecks or rays (if they are here) or to get to the edge for mahi but...what is the weather call this weekend?

is anyone going?  For what?  Why? I won’t crowd anyone (hell, it wouldn’t matter since I boat so few keepers) but I’m trying to decipher the magic.   My family and I have had a lot of fun but big swell surprises far offshore are not what my family lives for.  Just wondering what ya’ll are thinking.
2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.

Replies

• Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 414 Deckhand
    4 footers at 8 seconds all weekend , possible 20 mile an hour gusts out of the south on Sunday. Drink beer at the sand bar. 
  • bigslickbigslick Posts: 104 Deckhand
    Looking like Saturday would be the only day even possible. If I was going itd be to creep to the wrecks inside 25 miles for cobia. But I think I'm gonna pass and just hit the beach for pompano from shore. 
  • bigslickbigslick Posts: 104 Deckhand

• cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 118 Deckhand
    So I wasn’t totally off base.  Thanks.  I have played it safe a few times and watched everyone kill it, then been daring and played “deadliest catch” offshore. Either one sucks. Sandbars are always nice and I can see that happening but the final call will be tomorrow night. Be safe guys.
  • Cracker Jack 45Cracker Jack 45 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    What weather app is that?  Thanks
  • tdogg85tdogg85 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Try to look for wave interval at least three times the wave height to know the best day. winds from the E south east are good winds to fish on. I dont like fishing on a strong north wind. It gets bad quick. 

I try to plan my route to have following seas home too. Makes for a decent ride home. 

But know the limitations of your boat. Alot of people wont tell you but there are plenty of days a year that you have to turn around. It happens. Safety first, especially with you and the precious cargo. I use windfinder app- find the St. Augustine Buoy. (Buoy is gone but still forecast reports for that range, usually matches the NOAA 40 mi report) Again its always a crap shoot, thats what makes in an adventure. 

Tight lines
  • NBredfishNBredfish Posts: 196 Deckhand
    What weather app is that?  Thanks
    Appears to be Ventusky
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,305 Admiral
    YEAH.....Stay in, do boat maintenance or honey-do's......there will be better days !!
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 619 Officer
    edited April 12 #10
    Sea Snake said:
    YEAH.....Stay in, do boat maintenance or honey-do's......there will be better days !!
    THIS. I'll be building up political currency at home with the commander in chief - and maybe sneaking off to do some surf fishing.
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,345 Captain
    Stay home...
  • Cracker Jack 45Cracker Jack 45 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Thanks NBredfish
    Thanks gents. My mind is made. Family time on the icw somewhere.  Either way, water will be under foot. The “interval 3X wave height” is a really handy rule of thumb. 

Ill look forward to that bait delivery on wed or Thursday. 
    As I’ve learned- the boat will handle much more than my back can. 
  • JustDaveJustDave Jacksonville FlPosts: 103 Deckhand
    cftsmoke said:
    As I’ve learned- the boat will handle much more than my back can. 
    No doubt about that, and my back has the wires and screws to prove it! 
    1995 Stratos 2500WA Twin 2013 200HO ETECS!