Please pray for my fishing buddy Doug!

CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 515 Officer

Doctor recovering at Delray Medical Center after ambush shooting in Haiti

Today surgeons attempt a risky procedure to remove a bullet from his shattered neck.

https://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-palm-beach-county/delray-beach/doctor-recovering-at-delray-medical-center-after-ambush-shooting-in-haiti

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Replies

• flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 173 Deckhand
    Wow remarkable story and miracle of survival. Will pray 
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 546 Officer
    Wow!!  we will definitely keep him in our prayers
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 515 Officer
    UPDATE:

"Surgery is over.  It was a success!  They took out the big bullet from the spine and 4 bullet fragments.  It will take about a week to recover.... another miracle!  Thank you Lord! 
    The surgeon  thinks there wouldn't be any neurological deficit post-op..."

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 546 Officer
    That is awesome to hear thank you for the update
    edited April 16 #6
    Interesting that 275 fishermen read this post but only 3 posted comments...must be a lot of closet-Christians in this fraternity! 

"So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven." ~ Matthew 13:32-33

• 2amigo2amigo Posts: 4,837 Captain
    Just saw this. Goes to help and this happens. It’s funny how That in certain threads Christians are made fun of but they seem to be the only ones I see trying to help others. Glad his prognosis is good. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,011 Officer
    Unbelievable....our thoughts and prayers are with him
    edited April 14 #9
    UPDATE from his son Michael, who still plans to be a missionary pilot...

"Dad had a very successful second surgery!!
    He was the first to receive this type of procedure which combines CT technology with Xbox gaming technology.They removed one large caliber bullet through a first-ever method. The bullet was on the fractured spine. It was removed through the back of his mouth. Following that, the surgeons removed 5 more bullet fragments through 2 incisions in the side of his neck. This was more than they had hoped to remove! They were dangerously close to his jugular vein and other vital structures.

Dad had a rough day today but is in good spirits. Words cannot express how much my dad's friends mean to him. Thanks for just loving on him at this time, and I thank God for all He is doing in my dad's life."

• restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,133 Captain
    Will pray for a continued successful and speedy recovery.
  • billybobbillybob Posts: 926 Officer
    Just saw this.  Don't normally see this section.  Prayers sent for him,family and Drs
    UPDATE from his son Michael, who still plans to be a missionary pilot...

"Dad had a very successful second surgery!! They removed one large caliber bullet through a first-ever method. The bullet was on the fractured spine. It was removed through the back of his mouth. Following that, the surgeons removed 5 more bullet fragments through 2 incisions in the side of his neck. This was more than they had hoped to remove! They were dangerously close to his jugular vein and other vital structures.

Dad had a rough day today but is in good spirits. Words cannot express how much my dad's friends mean to him. Thanks for just loving on him at this time, and I thank God for all He is doing in my dad's life."
    Thanks for the update.....let's hope the recovery is fast and he is back on the water.
    Entry wound of the face and entry wound of the neck where bullet #2 and bullet #3 entered.

edited April 14 #14
    Hole in door frame where God slowed the bullet that struck Doug in the cheek!  

• jensenjeff1955jensenjeff1955 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Hope they caught the sobs
    edited April 14 #16
    My friend Doug takes Jesus' words seriously and said that he's returning to Haiti to look over a location for docking a drive-on vessel, which he has retrofitted, to deliver supplies to the various remote communities which Living Water Ministries assists. 

"And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear Him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ~ Matthew 13:28

The day after the ambush a dozen police in 2 armoured vehicles went looking for the perpetrators and were seriously outgunned and lost one officer.

The day after the ambush a dozen police in 2 armoured vehicles went looking for the perpetrators and were seriously outgunned and lost one officer.
    WOW......I didn't realize how bad it is there.  
  • P91473P91473 Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Geez, very sad event. I did a short term trip there to help out a few summers ago. It can be a very scary place. My brother is there twice a week. He flys DC-3s for MFI out of Fort Pierce who have been serving Haiti for many years. Doug is around for a reason. Not his time. God bless.
    Garysmo said:
    WOW......I didn't realize how bad it is there.  
    A second police officer died of his injuries.

Sorry to hear that......
    edited April 15 #22
    Here is some good news...Doug stretching his legs this morning!  :)

• timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 858 Officer
    Glad things are working out. Your friend is beyond lucky to survive. Hope he continues his good work. The world is a little better place because of people like your friend.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
    Pretty amazing that he is up and about so quickly....definitely a good sign
  • Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 348 Deckhand
    I prayed for him a couple times.  Sorry I didn’t post. Glad to c he’s doing better
    edited April 17 #26
    I just wanted to update you all on Doug's condition;

Doug has not been able to swallow after the surgery that removed the bullet from his neck as they had to go through the back of his throat through his mouth to remove it.

Doug has had very little food since the incident that occurred on the 4th of April.
    He has some paralysis in his throat and if he tries to swallow it goes into his lungs.
    The doctors inserted a feeding tube through his nose.
    Doug is down to around a 130 lbs.

Christian fishermen, please lift Doug up in prayer to our great healer of body, mind, and soul.

"And large crowds came to Jesus, bringing with them those who were lame, crippled, blind, mute, and many others, and they laid them down at His feet; and He healed them all."

• MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Prayers continue to be lifted.
  • jman122jman122 33478Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Praying for Doug
    edited April 23 #29
    Doug has a swallowing test tomorrow and hopefully the feeding tube will be removed so he can start regaining the 30-plus pounds he's lost. 

Will say a pray that the test goes well....
    edited April 24 #31

"When Doug watched this video in his hospital bed a couple of days ago his pressure and pulse increased dramatically as he relived the experience. He said he knows what PTSD feels like now. He thanks God that the feeling quickly passed, and that he has the family and friends support to press through this. Doug has been suffering since his 2nd surgery but has made some recent milestones. Sutures and staples removed, the incision in his throat is finally closing, and he had his first BM today! :smile:

Today he failed his swallow test so he'll be on the nose-tube for another week. :s 
    He just received his new phone so he'll be texting because it hurts to talk."

https://vimeo.com/331512661?ref=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR05E4j3h_WslEbwVOLFu9P9J9jQjSq4-GCx0U6kDvjk1_wWhTERy5JpdC8