Peacock bass in august

We will be in the jupiter area august 8th through 12th.  How difficult will it be to catch some peacock bass or some tilapia from shore or possibly a kayak?  Just wanting to add the the list of different species we catch.  

Thanks

Replies

• greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 775 Officer
    Highly doubt you will find any peacocks in Jupiter. You will need to go down to Palm Beach or further south for that. I would recommend driving at least an hour south and looking on google maps for canals down there. Any canal that far south will hold Peacocks, Tilapia, and Cichlids.
  • dbooth76dbooth76 IowaPosts: 8 Greenhorn
    Ok   thanks.  Any advise on techniques to use?
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    I am not much of a Peacock fisherman but I have herd of anglers catching them on live shiners. Some artificials that I have seen work are hard plugs/swimbaits.

Hope this helps
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 972 Officer
    Visit www.myfwc.com and look in the freshwater forecasts, search butterfly peacock if need be.  There are multiple brochures that will provide good information.
    I'd suggest Caloosa FMA or lakes Ida and Osborne.  Those three are all solid producers and closer to Jupiter than the urban canals of Miami-Dade, which are also solid producers.  Try to go during the week if you're kayaking in Osborne.
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 465 Deckhand
    We do really good in boynton and delray but the further shout the better it is. Best bait is shiners, but  can be caught on artificial lures also
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,309 Captain
    Lake Ida and live shiners is your closest best bait. 
    peacock charters are pretty cheap too and you'll catch a ton plus lots of other cool stuff. 
    swamp to sea guide service 
    X2 for swamp to sea
    If you get lucky you'll catch a clown knife fish to
    dbooth76 said:
    I sight fish them from the banks using gotcha flies or marabou crappie jigs. Those work better than anything including shiner. I hate fishing peacocks with shiners. I think it takes the fun out of getting them all riled up and watching an aggressive strike plus the cost of shiners around me is like $2ea so that cost adds up pretty quick if there is alot of gar or big cichlids around. Just keep a crappie jig in the peacocks face and they will keep striking at it until you have them hooked up. Even if you pull the hook throw at him again. Once angry they will continue to attack anything in their face. 
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,309 Captain
    dbooth76 said:
    I sight fish them from the banks using gotcha flies or marabou crappie jigs. Those work better than anything including shiner. I hate fishing peacocks with shiners. I think it takes the fun out of getting them all riled up and watching an aggressive strike plus the cost of shiners around me is like $2ea so that cost adds up pretty quick if there is alot of gar or big cichlids around. Just keep a crappie jig in the peacocks face and they will keep striking at it until you have them hooked up. Even if you pull the hook throw at him again. Once angry they will continue to attack anything in their face. 
    That's good advice if they are on their beds and he knows where to find the beds. They won't be in August and he'll be on shore and will not know where beds are or they will be overfished from the shores of Ida, unless he gets a charter
  • dbooth76dbooth76 IowaPosts: 8 Greenhorn
    I really appreciate the responses. 
    brianb said:
    That's good advice if they are on their beds and he knows where to find the beds. They won't be in August and he'll be on shore and will not know where beds are or they will be overfished from the shores of Ida, unless he gets a charter
    They do not need to be on bed. That will work anytime of year.. Maybe not on Lake Ida but just walk pretty much any canal from broward country south and you should see plenty from shore all very willing to take jigs or flies. 
  • RedfinaticRedfinatic Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Went last Friday to lake Ida. Got the Ida Slam.  Nice ramp there to use. Pick up live bait (Shiners) at College Park Bait and tackle. Not sure how August bite will be but they say the Fall time would be better. Good luck
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Greenie slayer is dead on. I use crappie jigs and other small plastics and blind casting will get you a few.