Home Fly Fishing

Rod Repair Vent

jaymjaym Posts: 121 Deckhand
I sent a rod back to the manufacturer to have spinning cork rings fixed on the grip. This was a "life time warranty" rod and you would think that it would have been a fairly straightforward fix. I did not care about the time it took (3 months) or $75 because I have others but they had to replace the entire butt section and not just repair the grip. Second they put a fore grip on the rod when it did NOT have one prior and I hate fore grips.

Sorry for the vent but pretty frustrated.

Replies

• sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 684 Officer
    Pretty typical.
    I have G Loomis and Temple Fork rods, and I think the "free lifetime repairs" are $50 an incident now.
    Plus, they look to see if the damage was due to "mis-use."
    I have repaired multiple rods.
    I had a long struggle to get a bigger butt on a Temple Fork Mangrove series 12-weight, which had a tiny butt unfit for fighting big fish. They said, "Flip wants them like that." It finally did get done, after some months.
    In reality, it's not a bad deal to extend the life of a $300 - $ 900 rod.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Jay, are you sure they didn't send you a new rod? Sounds like they possibly sent you a updated version of your rod model. I don't see why they would put a foregrip on a rod that was in for a butt section. I've seen situations in the past where they need to honor a warranty, but no longer make that particular model so they send you the next best thing. Hope it works out.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain

They probably put a fore grip on it to hide something they botched on the repair. Cork is expensive, they wouldn't put it there if they didn't have to. I'd raise hell.
  • jaymjaym Posts: 121 Deckhand
    It was not a new rod but they did build a new butt section, which is really strange for a cork replacement. It took almost three months because they had to order new graphite for the butt section. Crazy. I actually offered to buy up to a current model.

The thing is I could have brought this to a local guy that had been building some of the best custom rods for the last 40 years and it would have been done in a week the correct way.

I have not idea how much the warranty drives up the price of rods but it seems to me there should be a better way to handle this.