Wade fishing in this area

Hey guys, I’m freed up and was planning to make a trip out to Mosquito Lagoon or any where nearby to do some shore or wade fishing this Saturday. I’m coming from Gainesville so mosquito lagoon is about 2.5 hours away and I wanted to be prepared. I usually fish in NE FL so I’m very unfamiliar with this area.

Do you guys have any specific tips/locations I should check out? Is there any where closer to Gainesville than Mosquito Lagoon? I’m planning to just throw artificials as well. Would love any advice I can get and if you’re not comfortable sharing it publicly then feel free to shoot me a PM and I could even text you. Thank you!

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,383 Captain
    Water's dirty, but for wade fishing opportunities, check out the south ML in the wildlife refuge. Plenty of dike roads to wade from. But I would go somewhere else personally. Not much wading in the north end bc you have to cross deep water. 
  • prknprkn Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Reel Teal said:
    Water's dirty, but for wade fishing opportunities, check out the south ML in the wildlife refuge. Plenty of dike roads to wade from. But I would go somewhere else personally. Not much wading in the north end bc you have to cross deep water. 
    I recently read that the water in ML isn’t as good as it used to be any more. Do you have any recommendations on where I could go without a boat/kayak? I’m just tired of NE FL because it seems like most spots are overfished so I’m trying to drive farther down
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,383 Captain
    edited April 10 #4
    I'm sure others can chime in. You can always fish the lagoon with the thousands of others on the weekend but making that drive, just be prepared to have 6 inch visibility or less out there. And being in foot youre limited. I'm a north IRL/lagoon guy so I'm not too familiar with the areas and access farther south.

The beach has been good if you want to try something different.
    Reel Teal said:
    I'm sure others can chime in. You can always fish the lagoon with the thousands of others on the weekend but making that drive, just be prepared to have 6 inch visibility or less out there. And being in foot youre limited. I'm a north IRL/lagoon guy so I'm not too familiar with the areas and access farther south.

The beach has been good if you want to try something different.
    Gotcha, I’ll start looking at other areas to consider. I didn’t know it gets that busy out there. Thank you for your help!
  • JohnABJohnAB APOPKAPosts: 191 Deckhand
    I used to wade the southern Lagoon but haven't since the water got bad.  But, if you want to try it...go to Playa Linda Beach..park in the last lot on the left.  There used to be a path into the lagoon from there..wade knee deep to waist deep to the left...good luck!
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 94 Greenhorn
    Whatever you do...DON'T wade around Joyce's dock. You might get sprayed with a hose. (Inside forum joke) :D 
    JohnAB said:
    I used to wade the southern Lagoon but haven't since the water got bad.  But, if you want to try it...go to Playa Linda Beach..park in the last lot on the left.  There used to be a path into the lagoon from there..wade knee deep to waist deep to the left...good luck!
    Marlinman said:
    Whatever you do...DON'T wade around Joyce's dock. You might get sprayed with a hose. (Inside forum joke) :D 
    Haha, I think I'll head down to the Tampa area this weekend instead but thank you for all of your input