Blackfin Tuna

MuskiemanNCMuskiemanNC Posts: 134 Deckhand
Looks like restrictive limits for blackfin tuna are coming. How many blackfins make a 100 lb limit right now anyway?

https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/rulemaking/workshops/

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,465 AG
    Looks like restrictive limits for blackfin tuna are coming. How many blackfins make a 100 lb limit right now anyway?

well, most folk can master basic math??
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I'm sorry, I see you're from NC, maybe take someone from Ga, to help you when fishing.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,105 Admiral

3 big ones or 30 little ones.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,366 Officer

3 big ones or 30 little ones.

Agreed. How much yield is on a 2 lb tuna?

Never understood the point in pounding the peanuts like we see here so often.

• MuskiemanNCMuskiemanNC Posts: 134 Deckhand
    I guess I’m trying to understand if blackfin are truly overfished or not 
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,282 Officer

I don't think that is even part of the equation.
    Very small commercial market for them unlike Skipjack, Yellowfin and Bluefin. Doubt they are overfished.

― Ernest Hemingway

never could sell one in this part of FL, maybe crabbait but really not commercially feasible..
    Simple equation: No commercial market = Not overfished
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,442 Captain
    Locally... (south Florida).....  Years ago, every oriental restaurant that served fresh sushi/sashimi were glad to get all the blackfins around while they wouldn't touch any mackeral or bonito (local name for little tunny...).  Don't know if this market still exists or whether standard commercial landings would work since all the places I knew of back then wanted the absolutely freshest catch possible....  Back then, late eighties, all of those places were eager for fresh product (and any recreational would have a heart attack if they looked in their walk-in coolers...). In that era (long before FWC...) enforcement of existing regs was pretty spotty (understatement....).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    They also used Sailfish in the Tuna rolls. I doubt any customers actually knew the difference.

― Ernest Hemingway

drgibby said:
    Spanish mackerel,  good commercial market,  large TAC = not overfished. 
    drgibby said:
    Redfish,  no sale since 1990, recreational only = overfished. Lol
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
    Maybe redfish still haven`t fully recovered from the net slaughter.LOL .
    A few that come to mind, Aj`s, Red Grouper, Gag Grouper, King mackeral, swordfish, Vermillion snapper, yellowtail, and grey trigger, just to name a few that come to mind that would seem to support the equation. Commercial market=overfished
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    drgibby said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
    A few that come to mind, Aj`s, Red Grouper, Gag Grouper, King mackeral, swordfish, Vermillion snapper, yellowtail, and grey trigger, just to name a few that come to mind that would seem to support the equation. Commercial market=overfished
          how bout the species who's numbers have dropped that have never been commercially targeted ????....Houndfish , Toadies , Sand Eels up north , Mola Mola 
    drgibby said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
    Gag and grey trigger is all y'all hoss.

King is in good shape.
    RG is hurting but from a massive red tide several years back. 

Thanks for playing. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,138 AG
    Art what are they doing with kings and spanish on the commercial market?  cat food?   Kings don't keep well that i'm aware of and spanish aren't much better.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Art what are they doing with kings and spanish on the commerccial market?  cat food?   Kings don't keep well that i'm aware of and spanish aren't much better.   
    Fresh h&l kings bring upwards of $2/ lb.
    Fresh  Spanish same thing, back in the day Morrisons cafeteria bought millions of lbs of Spanish every year. 

That was their broiled fish, was pretty tasty. 
    drgibby said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
          how bout the species who's numbers have dropped that have never been commercially targeted ????....Houndfish , Toadies , Sand Eels up north , Mola Mola 

Not sure about any up north species, I am a cracker. But none of those mentioned sound too tasty!
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

King is in good shape.

Thanks for playing. 
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

King is in good shape.

Thanks for playing. 

Aren`t Gags on the IFQ system?

Always enjoy a good game...............

Yep, about 65% rec.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,138 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Art what are they doing with kings and spanish on the commerccial market?  cat food?   Kings don't keep well that i'm aware of and spanish aren't much better.   
    Fresh  Spanish same thing, back in the day Morrisons cafeteria bought millions of lbs of Spanish every year. 

10 4 thanks 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    ANUMBER1 said:

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0814F09.htm#5

― Ernest Hemingway

ANUMBER1 said:

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0814F09.htm#5
    Thanks!
    I'm gonna give that a try. 
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 402 Deckhand
    Redfish numbers are directly correlated to the loss of habitat/algae blooms and red tide.  If we had the habitat back our fisheries would be much better. 
    The slot limit preserves young fish and breeder fish.  Probably IMO the most sustainable harvest practice.

"He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"

• saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    drgibby said:
    drgibby said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

Not sure about any up north species, I am a cracker. But none of those mentioned sound too tasty!
    tasty or not,,,,their numbers (houndfish and toadies) down here dropped and they are not commercially targeted....your claims do not hold water for all species in the oceans.....agencies , biologist  , and lawmakers do not bring up the effect of natural cycles.....they have no answers to mother nature's motives so it is ignored'''    
    hunterjw said:
    Redfish numbers are directly correlated to the loss of habitat/algae blooms and red tide.  If we had the habitat back our fisheries would be much better. 
    The slot limit preserves young fish and breeder fish.  Probably IMO the most sustainable harvest practice.

what about the NW sector?

and what about the population (human) no effect there?   lol
    drgibby said:
    drgibby said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

tasty or not,,,,their numbers (houndfish and toadies) down here dropped and they are not commercially targeted....your claims do not hold water for all species in the oceans.....agencies , biologist  , and lawmakers do not bring up the effect of natural cycles.....they have no answers to mother nature's motives so it is ignored'''    
    Please post up stock assesment data on the above mentioned species, houndfish and toadies. I must admit I am not too familiar with these and would like to be enlightened.  I can`t recall either of them being listed as species of special concern that are currently being overfished or have experienced overfishing. Thanks!
    drgibby said:
    drgibby said:
    drgibby said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:

Please post up stock assesment data on the above mentioned species, houndfish and toadies. I must admit I am not too familiar with these and would like to be enlightened.  I can`t recall either of them being listed as species of special concern that are currently being overfished or have experienced overfishing. Thanks!
    feds call that type of finfish  "no data species" (NDS)

all NDS are coming under some type of management plan in the not too distant future.