Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

How to Fillet Channel Catfish Quickly Without Skinning

MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 537 Officer

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• benwah22benwah22 Posts: 268 Deckhand
    I'm pretty sure they missed Step 1: Humanely kill the fish before cutting. 

Jesus.
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Shimano
    AFTCO
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,030 Admiral
    Who cleans fish inside?
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 537 Officer
    tankard said:
    Who cleans fish inside?

A man who wears the pants in the family and decides to.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    edited April 2019 #5
    Call me crazy, but isnt cutting the filet off then skinning filet the standard way of cleaning a fish if you wish to remove the skin? Do people really attempt to pull all the skin off of a fish first?

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    Reel Teal said:
    Call me crazy, but isnt cutting the filet off then skinning filet the standard way of cleaning a fish if you wish to remove the skin? Do people really attempt to pull all the skin off of a fish first?

That’s how most folks clean freshwater catfish, especially when eating whole( the way I like it). The phrase “ more than one way to skin a cat “ comes from cleaning catfish.  I’ve heard if people doing it w dolphin.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,843 AG
    Reel Teal said:

That’s how most folks clean freshwater catfish, especially when eating whole( the way I like it). The phrase “ more than one way to skin a cat “ comes from cleaning catfish.  I’ve heard if people doing it w dolphin.
    And smaller tuna
    MathGeek said:
    tankard said:
    Who cleans fish inside?

I guess if you have one smallish catfish that could work for you. I'm used to 100lb hauls of grouper.

But to each their own.

• MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 537 Officer
    tankard said:
    MathGeek said:
    tankard said:
    Who cleans fish inside?

I guess if you have one smallish catfish that could work for you. I'm used to 100lb hauls of grouper.

But to each their own.

I fillet big redfish and drum outside.  But bass, catfish, trout, and other fish under 24" are most commonly done inside, especially if it's hot, rainy, or buggy outside.  

My wife is happy enough and does not complain.  We have a deal - I don't ask her to clean the fish, and I can clean them inside if I want without her complaining.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 19,184 AG
    Suddenly the "man who wears the pants" becomes the man who made "a deal".  lol
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Suddenly the "man who wears the pants" becomes the man who made "a deal".  lol
    Good catch. I also noticed he doesnt clean fish outside if it's hot, rainy or buggy ....which means he cleans fish inside all the time lol
    benwah22 said:
    I'm pretty sure they missed Step 1: Humanely kill the fish before cutting. 

Jesus.

But it's so much easier to clean a warm, writhing fish than a dead iced one.

Duh. And then you might not get as much pleasant fish slime on your counter.

• acme54321acme54321 Posts: 353 Deckhand
    Who clean a fish while it's still alive?  ****.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 2,770 Captain
    Just saying, those a the videos PETA and animal rights activists would use against the hunting and fishing community 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 19,184 AG
    edited April 2019 #16
    acme54321 said:
    Who clean a fish while it's still alive?  ****.
    In this case, and not that I'm judging, but it's someone who believes that god gave man dominion over animals....and makes videos like this with some regularity in hopes of spreading his religious views.