Mandarin Report

Replies

• Mogan Man 2Mogan Man 2 Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Flounder and red around the docks off Mandarin Point.  Is it common to catch reds and flounder off Mandarin Point?  I’m asking because it’s rare for me to fish this area. 
  • jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,189 Officer
    You can catch reds trout flounder black drum and sheepshead around the docks in the mandarin area. 
    jimmy06 said:
    You can catch reds trout flounder black drum and sheepshead around the docks in the mandarin area. 
    What time of year is best for Mandarin Point? What do you use? Artificals, shrimp, finger mullet?
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 617 Officer
    I like the area in the summer when we have a good shrimp run.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,812 Admiral
    I've never had any luck with those lures and I've fished the hell out of them. You have a secret for fishing them?
    Just real them in slow always let the lure hit the bottom first. 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,209 Admiral
    Area will get so good later in the year to where there is really not a whole lot of reason to run anywhere else. We've caught blues as south of OP, speckled trout down to the Shands and Pompao in front of Moosehaven............
  • RadJagRadJag Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Any tips for fishing the area, particularly near Beauclerc Point?  I teach over at Bolles and I'm trying to get a fishing team going for next year.  I've caught all sorts of fish between the buckman and downtown, but struggle with consistency. 

When do the two reefs over by San Marco get active?
  • jawrayjawray Posts: 282 Deckhand
    Radjag, im at Bishop Kenny and we are also trying to get a fishing team/ club next year.
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,307 Officer
    Bolles vs BK tournament!!...I'll booster that one!  Go Crusaders
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,209 Admiral
    RadJag said:
    Any tips for fishing the area, particularly near Beauclerc Point?  I teach over at Bolles and I'm trying to get a fishing team going for next year.  I've caught all sorts of fish between the buckman and downtown, but struggle with consistency. 

When do the two reefs over by San Marco get active?
    Have not fished the reefs but a sure bet is that as the docks and drops fill up so too will they......maybe?

Same as with any other place........tide velocity, depth changes, bottom composition, structure.........and then often it won't work no matter what you do.