Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Sling Packs

ReelOfSteelReelOfSteel Senior MemberPosts: 191 Deckhand
Found a couple of Umpqua sling packs at a decent enough price. Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them or if they recommend some other sling packs. The ones I found are the 600zs and the ambi zs. It’s for wading and for having easy access to gear while on the kayak. Any opinions? 

Replies

• OnFootOnFoot Junior Member Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Have a nice patagonia sling and it does a great job, holds much more than you'd think.  Perfect little bag for bringing limited amounts of tackle anywhere you go.  There is a draw back... having it around 1 shoulder all day casting while on foot can get to be a little tedious. for $100 at the time I thought it was the best investment I ever made. I suppose if you are in a yak you can just take it off.  However, I have now changed to a hip pack with a higher belt so it sits around my waist.  Holds plenty of gear and two water bottles, and I have both hands available to do what I please.  For $10 from walmart there is no need to go spending that kind of money on anything different.
  • OnFootOnFoot Junior Member Posts: 4 Greenhorn

very similar to this.... not sure the brand but you get the concept
  • troutbomtroutbom Senior Member Posts: 417 Deckhand
    It may be  just that I'm old , but Ive tried these packs and I like my old Simm's trout vest better. Doesnt get in way of casting and if it doesnt hold what I think I need for the day, I'm carring to much crap.I put a bottle of water and rain jacket in rear and 2 fly boxes , leaders etc in front pockets and 2 different sink rate lines on spare spools with dry line on the rod to start. If I need more than that I'll buy a pack horse. Bonefish easier, no vest, one fly box, one spool tippet, one extra leader all in 2 shirt pockets. Same with snook off the beach.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Senior Member Posts: 2,422 Captain

I've used slings for about 18 years. The umpqua isn't the best I've had, but it's better than others. The one I have is probably the biggest I've every owned, but the fit was right and anyone that has ever tried sprinting down the beach with a loose pack will tell you how important that is. It's very comfortable, but it'll be a couple years before I'll know how durable it is.