Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Travel to Dome Homes in a 15ft Skiff????

Will be fishing out of Goodland in my Pathfinder 15T for a week in late April.   I have fished out of Goodland like this for a few years and always think about making the ride to the Dome Homes.  I usually never get out of the backcountry- so curious about the trip to the Dome Homes.
Should I even consider making the trip in the 15T--- even on a flat calm morning.
Any insight from those that have been out there would be appreciated.   

Replies

• 1outlaw1outlaw Senior Member Naples FLPosts: 1,861 Captain
    Pretty much no issue. I have seen kayaks out there LOL.
    A stiff south wind would might make it a bit rough but you could run Blind pass and minimize open water.
    Jason :USA
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Senior Member Naples, FLPosts: 1,301 Officer
    Agree with 1 outlaw. Plot your route carefully so that you don't run up on shoals or oyster bars.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • MangroovinMangroovin Member Naples, FLPosts: 149 Deckhand
    No problem at all unless its windy out of the south.  You could go through blind pass and then head south on the outside or follow the marked channel that bends around the southern side of Cape Romano. :)

• jpscott1jpscott1 Junior Member Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Thanks everyone-- this is great info.  I appreciate it!

• BobberBobber Senior Member Posts: 943 Officer
    Rule of thumb: anyplace with the term "Cape" in it can have some shifting winds that seem to come out of nowhere. But Cape Romano is easily doable with your boat,plenty of back door routes to get back to Goodland.
  • flredfishflredfish Belleview FLPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    I’m old enough to remember when they were on dry land. 
    Triton 220 LTS Pro
    200 Yahama
  • jpscott1jpscott1 Junior Member Posts: 30 Deckhand
    As a follow up- I made the trip to the Dome Homes in my 15T without any issues.   Pretty cool to see them in person.
    Thanks for the info!
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Senior Member USA, USA, USAPosts: 13,014 AG
    Used to make the run on the outside in my Gheenoe with an 18hp.  Run down early trolling and throwing into shore then around to the backside for the trip home once the wind came up or through the MOrgan river and out through snook hole.  Sometimes if the tide and wind were in sync the jump across Cax could require some attention, but overall, no problems.
    There is a deeper channel about 1/2 way from dickmans to Blind that almost always produced something and the grass flats below Ramano are known for their trout.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...