Upcoming Sebastian Inlet Trip

I will be in Sebastian Inlet camping at LongPoint Park April 12 - 14.  Brining my 19' pathfinder bay boat.  I haven't been to Sebastian in April, should I come prepeared to fish the inlet, flats, beach, or off shore this time of year?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,537 AG
    Yes.......you should be prepared..... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    J / K....What are you hoping to catch? If you are just trying to catch fish....is a lot different than if you have a target.  
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    I'd like to catch something besides trout, redfish, and flounder; that seems to be all I catch up where I am here in Jacksonville.  Snook would be great
  • FlecFlec Posts: 535 Officer
    small snook should be around most mangrove shorelines in the lagoon,north and south of the inlet. Could be some larger snook and reds around the jetties at the inlet mouth if its calm enough to fish there. Possible cobia, kingfish,spanish mackeral, and bluefish outside the inlet.
    Will you have a trolling motor on your boat? 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,657 Admiral
    just don't poop on the islands.....
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

I have a trolling motor on my boat. 

How is the inlet navigating in and out.  Is it squirrely at times or not that bad? 

I have a trolling motor on my boat. 

How is the inlet navigating in and out.  Is it squirrely at times or not that bad? 

I will PM you some info on the fishing....

As for the inlet....a hard SE wind and a strong outgoing tide has sunk more boats there...than we sank in the Pacific during WW II  LOL 

It is do-able for a reasonably competent skipper on most days...but April can bring some wind....and that would mean paying attention to tide. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Thanks for the warning on the inlet.  I will definitely pay attention to the tides if attempting to venture out.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 535 Officer
    Just keep in mind the inlet is a lot safer to navigate when the tide is running IN. So you would have roughly 6 hours of each direction. Know before you go!
    Good to know for sure, thank you!
    You get my PM stonehenge ? 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,096 Officer
    Im not sure if its the same down there but in Jax the advertised lowtide and outgoing are never the same. The 2-3 hours after the posted low tide time are usually when its ripping out the hardest. That could be because of the natural flow of the St Johns. 
    2 hours 30 - 3 hours different depending on wind and moon phase between High / low....and Current change. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • reelfirereelfire ny/flaPosts: 32 Greenhorn
    Im not sure if its the same down there but in Jax the advertised lowtide and outgoing are never the same. The 2-3 hours after the posted low tide time are usually when its ripping out the hardest. That could be because of the natural flow of the St Johns. 

Its like this all over. People need to learn the difference between tide and currents. They don't match. Running and fishing some nasty inlets in the northeast I always have a current chart.
    If you aren't fishing on the edge, youre probably blocking the channel.
    duckmanJR said:

Yes I got your PM, I responded with a Thank You!

duckmanJR said:

Yes I got your PM, I responded with a Thank You!

Your welcome...

I answered your questions.... Good luck.... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled