NSB - Indian River Inshore Report 3/30

Made the drive over from Orlando to NSB quite early Saturday morning. With the paddle board loaded in the truck bed, got in line to get into the park at 7ish. The line was about 20 car lengths back, with red lights flashing at the ticket booth. Cars at a standstill. Waited about 5 minutes, then decided to go launch from JB's fish camp. Changed up the gameplan on the fly. Launched out of JB's around 7:30, and headed east up the shipyard canal. I had never fished North of the state park waters, so this was a first. I fished the oyster beds, and pocket coves branching off the canal. I outlined where I fished in the photo here:
I couldn't buy a fish! Had two rods with me. 1 rod had a popper with 12" of leader and a live shrimp on. This stayed in the water pretty much the whole time. The other had the following tied on throughout the morning; 1/8" red jig head with 2.5" Gulp Shrimp (gray and white), 3.5" gulp shrimp (copper and white), 3" Paddle tail bass assassin rootbeer w/ chartreuse trail, bass assassin houdini 3".

Would get constant little nibbles while reeling in the gulps, sometimes these nibbles were aggressive enough to rip the gulp in half. Figured these are pinfish or something of that nature. Any thoughts? Using the gulps down in the state park usually guarantees 5-10 trout in a few hours. At one point a skiff about 20 yards from me brought in an over slot red on what looked to be a live mud minnow. Regardless, any thoughts? Was I just fishing in an extremely overfished area? Water temp was solid, and clarity was pretty good.

Tight Lines,
SS

Replies

• saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 244 Deckhand
    To me you did everything right. What can we say? We all know what's up...without beating a dead horse, unfortunately :-/
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 163 Deckhand
    Nothing wrong with what you were doing, and yes that entire area is always fished pretty steady, both north and south. Most guys that area are in kayaks or quality fisherman in skiffs.....so not a lot of “spots” are missed. The days of guaranteed fish are gone....but still plenty to be had if you work at it. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,146 AG
    those nibbles were probably puffers if they bit the gulps in half.   they do that to paddletails too. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 590 Officer
    I agree on the nibbling blowfish. I usually catch 2 or 3 an outing on my gold spoon. 
  • ShoNuffNoahShoNuffNoah Edgewater, FLPosts: 145 Deckhand
    Sounds like you have the appropriate arsenal, however I seldom use a cork when fishing in this area.  That particular area is so heavily fished, the more natural presentation the better.  I live in Edgewater (directly west of where JBs is)  PM me and I can give you some areas that you might find more productive.  My guess is probably bluefish was taking your gulps, they have been in droves in that area.