Home Off Topic

Speaking of guns

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,579 AG
I have had to switch over to revolvers due to old age and arthritis. The slide on a semi auto can be a literal pain to deal with in my old age. There is also an issue of jams due to wrist fatigue in my old age I didn't have when I was younger. 

Anyone else find that old age is affecting your choice of handgun. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,381 Captain
    not yet at 62
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,408 Admiral
    edited April 2019 #3
    No, but I'm sure that day will come if I live long enough.
    I don't have a genetic history of arthritis, but some of my joints have endured trauma and I can feel the results more and more.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,579 AG
    Arthritis runs in my family. I am only 60 and have it in my knees, shoulders, and hands. The issue with a semi auto is the joint between the thumb and forefinger won't let me have the grip I once had. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,021 Admiral
    You bedn to do rice grabs everyday starting now. Get to work old man. You'll thank me later
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,351 Admiral
    At the range I usually have my son load the magazine if he is with me. Or a auto loader. My thumb is good for about 4 rounds. Have very large strong hands. But that joint in my thumb cant take it.
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,381 Captain
    I bought an auto loader from the get go
    guy at the range mentioned to his buddy that he should start looking as he is getting older
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,441 Captain
    cadman said:
    Arthritis runs in my family. I am only 60 and have it in my knees, shoulders, and hands. The issue with a semi auto is the joint between the thumb and forefinger won't let me have the grip I once had. 
    We all get it, arthritis, that is.
    Ever try a custom grip??
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,609 AG
    I had/have arthritis bad, so bad at times i couldn't even make a fist.
    A friend in the body building business gave me a regiment to follow that has worked wonders for me.

If y'all are interested  i'll post it.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Scoutboat said:
    cadman said:
    We all get it, arthritis, that is.
    Ever try a custom grip??
    The grip isn't the issue. It is working the slide that is a pain, literally. Trying to grab the slide with the forefinger and thumb was getting more difficult as I got older. Some slides are easier to work than others, haven't tried them all. I can still fire a semi-auto for about 100 rounds (Baretta 40 cal) before the wrist wears out. Don't have an issue with a .38 revolver though. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I had/have arthritis bad, so bad at times i couldn't even make a fist.
    A friend in the body building business gave me a regiment to follow that has worked wonders for me.

If y'all are interested  i'll post it.
    Please post it. I have some a personal trainer friend of mine gave me, but always interested in new stuff. 

Mini Mart Magnate

1-Cucumin2K 1330mg 1x a day.
    Can be bought at "stop aging now"

Sundown Naturals fish oil
    3-1200mg caps twice a day (yes, you read that right)

You have been around for awhile, do you remember snook hooker from Miami?
    He's the one who gave me this and for the past three or four years it has been great.
    I'm telling you I couldn't make a fist and my elbows and knees where pretty bad too..
    I've passed this on to a bunch of people and they all see improvement.
    Hope it works for you.

FWIW, he said to use those particular brands.
    Pro tip: keep the fish oil in the freezer and you won't get the fish taste.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    On a side note this was really odd for me. In 1995 after working in the field for 25 years squeezing screwdrivers, pliers, side cutters, and other tools. Every knuckle in my right hand seemed to have seized up so to speak. If I had to squeeze a pair of pliers I had to flex my fingers back and forth several times before using the pliers so that my hand would work.

I rode and raced dirt bikes all my life since I was a child but gave it up when I got married. In 1995 I bought a CR500 the baddest fastest two-stroke dirt bike vibrating machine around. My concern was how am I going to hang on to this thing on my throttle hand in my condition.

I rode it two days straight through the woods. The first thing I noticed is not only did I not suffer any extra pain in my right hand, the pain in my joints completely left and to this day I have zero pain in any knuckles. 

Like I said my thumb knuckle gets sore loading ammo after a while but the arthritis and all of my knuckles that bothered me on a daily basis is still completely gone to this day. I don't understand it but it's true and I ask my doctor about it they had no clue either, but it happened. I'm convinced the extreme vibration in the handlebars help cure me. I don't see any other explanation. Maybe I'm onto something. LOL
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    getting harder to hold my Mac10 down when I run a 30rd mag thru in one burst..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Aint getting old a b,tch
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,540 Admiral
    Getting old ain't for the weak.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,002 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    That's why  I finally broke down and got a SAW with a Tripod.
    Belt Fed , It's for Men..winning..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    Yall are bumming me out...
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    edited April 2019 #19
    You'll be there before you know it scary fast! Bought my first hand gun at 18. You could do that then. S&W 357 Bull barrel. Bought it to shoot hogs on my parents property in Dixie county. They  sold it so it never happened.I'm 62 now. It looks like the day I bought it. In 1974 revolvers were the way to go. The Python., Dirty Harry. Etc.lol.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    Bought a Ruger Bisley last year in .41 mag.

I love it.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    edited April 2019 #21
    AC Man said:
    You'll be there before you know it scary fast! Bought my first hand gun at 18. You could do that then. S&W 357 Bull barrel. Bought it to shoot hogs on my parents property in Dixie county. They  sold it so it never happened.I'm 62 now. It looks like the day I bought it. In 1974 revolvers were the way to go. The Python., Dirty Harry. Etc.lol.
    Always wanted to own a .44 automag because of one of Clint Eastwood's films where he carried one. Never could make a deal work when I saw one for sale used. Lot of money to part with for a gun I wouldn't use much. 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited April 2019 #22
    The day I knew I was getting old was when I stopped at a curb to decide which leg to step up on the curb with. You don't notice curbs when you are young. Need to be sure to use the good knee these days. 

Don't worry, your day will come. My only advise is, don't abuse the body too much. All those mistakes will come back in old age. Proper Stretching is more important than you think. Don't stop exercising and keep the weight off. 

Most importantly. don't marry a crazy woman

Mini Mart Magnate

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,060 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    A Mac 10 will jam before you get 30 rounds through it.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    edited April 2019 #25
    I got doubly unlucky as I have both rheumatoid and psoratic arthritis. I self inject enbrel twice weekly which for the most part controls the arthritis and more importantly prevents further joint damage. That said my fingers tire easily and if I do much physical activity using them I pay for it for several days.

An example, last week I mulched some flower beds with thirty bags of much which totaled 60 cubic feet. Today my fingers and knuckles are still swollen.

I routinely carry a 40 cal Springfield XDS loaded with 12 rounds but do have trouble at times racking the slide. I also am prone to drop my S&W 442 loaded with +P ammo in my front pocket more often these days

It sucks
    Deo Vindice
    Fish Haid said:

All i can say is that along with the fish oil has worked for me for the past four years.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,540 Admiral
    My wife is in bad shape too. Both knees & both ankles are bone on bone.
    stc1993 said:
    My wife is in bad shape too. Both knees & both ankles are bone on bone.
    Agreed. Kinda sucks when I jump out of my F 350 4x4  and your leg buckles when landing. I still don't see it coming. Two years ago I was jumping out of the bed. We all end up there sometime.
    My dads side of the family has horrible joints. I am 23 and have sprained both of my knees, one of which twice, sprained both of my ankles twice, tore one ACL without knowing it, broken 4 fingers on one hand, compressed my spine, and sprained both wrists twice. Oh and that doesnt include the head trauma. Yall are making it sound like this will all catch up to me real fast. I take good care of my internal health though.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,536 AG
    My dads side of the family has horrible joints. I am 23 and have sprained both of my knees, one of which twice, sprained both of my ankles twice, tore one ACL without knowing it, broken 4 fingers on one hand, compressed my spine, and sprained both wrists twice. Oh and that doesnt include the head trauma. Yall are making it sound like this will all catch up to me real fast. I take good care of my internal health though.
    You may need more beer to catch up.
    dave44 said:
    You may need more beer to catch up.
    Beer to catch up what? My internals?