Home Off Topic

Country Music

GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,820 Admiral
Ken Burns eight part series will be broadcast on PBS in September. I'm looking forward to seeing this. All of his other series were great. 

Vince Gill Stuns at Ken Burns’ All-Star ‘Country Music’ Concert

Gill, Dwight Yoakam, Rosanne Cash and Marty Stuart honor musical roots at Burns’ “Country Music: Live at the Ryman” in Nashville

Vince Gill, pictured at the 50th CMA Awards, performed a stunning cover of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" at Ken Burns' 'Country Music' concert. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/ken-burns-country-music-concert-vince-gill-dwight-yoakam-814475/ 

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,104 Moderator
    Vince Gill is a mega talent that is very under rated by the listening public. One of my top five guitar players.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    I won't bother with any country when Sam Hunt isn't involved.  He's a living legend.

Captain Todd Approves

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,627 AG
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Ha, that reminds me when as a kid my parents and my sister and her family drove down to FL in 2 cars.  We were going through ATL and my brother-in-law got off the freeway because he was low on gas.  We got a lot of stares.  Probably didn't help my dad drove a Caddy.  My dad was not happy.   Ever since that day when I drive though a sketchy place I joke in dad's voice, "Lock the Doors!"

Captain Todd Approves

Buddy Brown has some serious paranoia issues but it is a catchy tune.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,820 Admiral
    I made a U-turn on a one way street in Detroit. Even though I was 'packin'.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

I went to Detroit once......................ONCE!!!! :#
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,701 AG
    I have spent many nights just of Memorial Drive in Atlanta..

I weren't scairt and I weren't packing either.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    The Dead held a Working mans dance party

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,820 Admiral
    The Dead held a Working mans dance party
    I went to that concert.

The Sports Arena was a great place to see groups play.

Probably only held a thousand people.

I saw John Mayall, Chuck Berry, Fleetwood Mac, Spirit, The Hampton Grease Band, The Allman Brothers, The Eagles, Buddy Miles, Capt. Beefheart

The one concert that I missed that I wish I had gone to was when Elvis played there in 1955.

Unfortunately I was on an all expenses paid vacation to SE Asia at that time. But did enjoy many a concert at the Sports arena. No A/C and the contact high was great. :)

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

edited March 2019 #14

You remember The Bistro. An old house on Spring or maybe W. Peachtree? Saw Buffet there several times, prior to him getting on the Holiday Inn tour.

Jeff Espina, Ray Whitley, a lot of local talent played there. Whitley wrote a slew of hits for The Tams. Hey Girl, Don't Bother Me, What Kind of Fool...etc. Whitley died several years, homeless. Last I heard, Espina was in the charter boat business in Tampa.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Can't believe I found this..and it's got a Bistro poster on it. LOL.

The Rondels..

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Unfortunately I was on an all expenses paid vacation to SE Asia at that time. But did enjoy many a concert at the Sports arena. No A/C and the contact high was great. :)
    I was in country about a month then.
    Missed a lot of good concerts.
    Was in basic during woodstock. :'(
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    I know a lot of you dont like many of the new hip hop country artists but there are a few gold flakes in the dirt that have emerged. Cody Jinks, Luke Combs and some of Chris stapletons stuff is pretty awesome. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    I know a lot of you dont like many of the new hip hop country artists but there are a few gold flakes in the dirt that have emerged. Cody Jinks, Luke Combs and some of Chris stapletons stuff is pretty awesome. 
    Said it before, will say it again

Country music died the day they made Billy Ray Cyrus a star. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Ill check out the others, but Chris Stapleton is definitely old school country 
    You should have been here yesterday

It's still around. You just have to go looking for it.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

edited March 2019 #21
    Ill check out the others, but Chris Stapleton is definitely old school country 
    Luke combs doesnt have as much twang, he does some slow songs they sound modern but arent hip hoppy like FGL or Sam Hunt or them. His stuff is pretty refreshing. He also looks just like my brother that past away. Here is one of my favorites by Luke. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDgFN5d5TVk
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    Music genres evolve.  I believe there are some sub genres out there that are just like old country.  Outlaw country I believe is one.

I like some pop country.  I also like a lot of bands that are sort of more true country like Eric Church, Midland, Jon Pardi and Easton Corbin.

Don't get you chaps in a bunch, I qualified it with "sort of".

Captain Todd Approves

This is country.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Im not saying that stuff isnt country, it very much is country. You do not define country though. I think Luke Combs and some newer artists are also country. Good thing this is America where we can all have our own opinions. 

It is a great country. Far better than some give it credit for.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral

That album is on my phone.... love it
    You should have been here yesterday
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    If it ain't got a dog, an  exwife, whiskey or beer in it, it ain't real country.  :)

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,554 Admiral
    I liked Marty Robbins when i was a young kid.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,552 AG
    edited March 2019 #30

That album is on my phone.... love it
    My phone too. And I’m not 44.
    edited March 2019 #31

This is my country..

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)