Neptune Beach surf

BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,090 Officer
fished outgoing tide for a few hours after work yesterday, water was pretty brown.  Lots of dink whiting up to 12”, no pomps for me yet this year.  Used live fleas and fresh shrimp, all fish came on shrimp.

Replies

• model14model14 JacksonvillePosts: 1,016 Officer
    We caught a lot of dink Whiting to the South of the South jetties tip from 10-1130. Current was moving pretty good, taking a 4oz to get on the bottom. Went after Spanish for an hour, when the rip formed up and the birds started feeding, then back to the Whiting in the same place at high tide. We were then successful catching larger Whiting. There was essentially no current.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,209 Admiral
    Monday in St. Aug the whiting were easy, both in the inlet and on the beach. With the west wind we ran out and anchored just outside the tip of the south jetties, maybe a hundred yards down the beach. Once the tide started running out there was no way to fish with more than one rod.

Only had one for sure pompano, though they are there.
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I fished NB Sunday morning and Sunday evening.  Caught nothin' in the AM (last 2 hours incoming).  First hours of incoming in the PM, the bite was decent.  Caught some small whiting and small blues.  Missed one real good strike.  I think we are getting close. Weather and wind should be good this weekend.  Will give it another go.
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 617 Officer
    North of the inlet in st aug the water has been nasty before this blow. The further north you get the uglier the water was and the surf fishing very inconsistent.  Whiting have been stacked in the inlet for several weeks. Weekend of the 16th we caught over 100 by jigging in the inlet during the tide changes but you could only get to them for about 30 minutes before the current got too strong.
    Caught a 10.5" pompano in NB this morning.  So close.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,571 Captain
    I haven't fished in awhile, but some NB regulars are catching a few pomps now...
    Hey Neighbor.   I went again this afternoon.  Caught 2 pompano this time but they got smaller.  One at 10" and one at 6".  That little 6" joker fought like a boss.  I'll try again tomorrow at some point.
    I went twice today. 

Fished 7am-9:30am, and only caught 1 whiting. We also caught a couple of blues w/ a handful of cats.

Fished 4:30p-5:30p, and caught 8 nice whiting w/ zero cats. 
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 714 Officer
    Did you see any bait Joey?
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
    Did you see any bait Joey?

Not yet...
  • 54king54king Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Finger mullet in surf today a.b.
  • 54king54king Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Finger mullet in the surf today in a.b.