Reel backing, What do you use?

I just stripped my 80s down for their yearly breakdown and I'm going to change the backing on them. I usually use tuf line XP because that is what I jig with. Anyone came across a good braid they like at a fair price. XP is $264 for 2500 yards of 100lb test.
"KULEANA"
2008 Worldcat 270TE W/T225 Hondas

Replies

• snookcatcher1snookcatcher1 Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Jerry Brown Hollow Core Braid is considered the best by many. It's right in your budget. Worth considering.
  • Night MovesNight Moves Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Cheapest I can find JB is $400 for 2500 yards! XP has been great. I'm looking for something that works as well and is less expensive.
    "KULEANA"
    2008 Worldcat 270TE W/T225 Hondas
  • flvol77flvol77 Posts: 261 Officer
    I just stripped my 80s down for their yearly breakdown and I'm going to change the backing on them. I usually use tuf line XP because that is what I jig with. Anyone came across a good braid they like at a fair price. XP is $264 for 2500 yards of 100lb test.

$264 for 100 pound test in any good braid is the going price. Since XP isn't hollow core you have to compare apples to apples

JB One braid 2500 yards is around 289

I say stick with what you like and are comfortable with because you aren't going to find a quality braid for too much less than what you are paying now. JMO
    We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance.

Benjamin Disraeli
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    at the Florida Sportsman show last year they were selling 1500 yards of Fins 50lbs for $90. I'm real happy with the line for that price. Most of my big reels i fill 30% with mono. It's very rare that i ever get down that far in a season. and it's cheap.
  • tuna mantuna man Posts: 628 Officer
    I say the cheapest crap there is! After all, like nuclear says, you probably wont see it till you change it next time. question, and don't take me wrong. why backing as expensive as what you're talking? What do you use for the top wind?
  • flvol77flvol77 Posts: 261 Officer
    For me I don't use that long of a top shot, I use about a 100 foot Fluro wind on made by BHPTACKLE. I think that is all the shock leader I need and have never had a problem, now on my wahoo stuff and my heavier gear I use a 100 yard top shot for more shock.

This is who I get my wind ons and top shots from, he is one of the best.

http://www.bhptackle.com/home.php?cat=201
    We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance.

Benjamin Disraeli
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Although more than you want to spend, the Jerry Brown hollow core backing will be able to stay on your reel for several seasons before needing replacement. If you break that down to a yearly cost it really puts it in perspective as a viable option. I personally have 130 Jerry Brown as backing on my Tiagra 50WLRSA's only because the 130 JB is actually cheaper than the 80 lb JB in bulk. I have roughly 625 yards of 130 lb JB as backing, then 150 yards of 80 lb Momoi Diamond high-vis as a topshot. This is a great combo for high-speed wahoo trolling, swordfishing at night locally, or blue marlin fishing in the Bahamas.

I'll change the 150 yard top shots of mono after any busy trip that saw a lot of action or at least once every season. It's very inexpensive to just change that.

If you're hell bent on a cheaper backing alternative, dacron is about as cheap an alternative as you can find, but be sure to get the hollow core dacron that is able to be spliced.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM