Home Off Topic

Cable alternative?

Replies

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    roku box.... +netflix, prime, and random other addons. No Cabal for 25 years.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    400 channels of cable, Netflix, Amazon Prime TV.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,026 Admiral
    That's just how we roll in Boca....winning....
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I haven't watched a movie in years, am I missing something?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,266 Captain
    I personally would be ok with antenna tv, my wife likes some of the reality things The fat people show and the emergency room shows. Can you get those with one of the services other than cable?
    I was thinking of getting one for the Hatch but, we are a long way from any major city so I am thinking it will be a total waste of money. My wife wants her TV but, fortunately all she cares to watch are the standard channels. The antennae aren't that expensive, wish I could get one for a trial first though.
    Tight Lines, Steve

Gary S said:
    I personally would be ok with antenna tv, my wife likes some of the reality things The fat people show and the emergency room shows. Can you get those with one of the services other than cable?
    Yes, Sling on a Roku box.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    surfman said:
    I was thinking of getting one for the Hatch but, we are a long way from any major city so I am thinking it will be a total waste of money. My wife wants her TV but, fortunately all she cares to watch are the standard channels. The antennae aren't that expensive, wish I could get one for a trial first though.
    You anywhere near Tampa?  I have an extra HD TV antenna I'd be happy to let you borrow for testing.
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 372 Deckhand
    surfman said:
    The antennae aren't that expensive, wish I could get one for a trial first though.
    Try this to get an idea of what's available over the air.

surfman said:
    You anywhere near Tampa?  I have an extra HD TV antenna I'd be happy to let you borrow for testing.
    That would be great, I am in Tampa. I'll send a PM.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,922 Admiral
    I moved 6 months ago and never got cable or wi-fi installed. I have 6 channels, and 3 of those are Spanish. Only one local, ABC. It gets me by, I dont watch a lot of TV, but I have kind of gotten hooked on ABCs daytime shows, when I come home to take breaks and/or naps. The View, Strahan & Sara, General Hospital, Dr. Oz, Ellen, local news at 5, 5:30, 6, and World News at 6:30. Then Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.
    One thing I have noticed is that almost every commercial has black people or mixed race couples in it, as do many of the shows. Must be saying something for ABC's audience.
    I think I'm about ready to get cable and wi-fi back. Enough of Ellen and The View.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,555 Admiral
    edited March 2019 #43
    Cane Pole said:

One thing I have noticed is that almost every commercial has black people or mixed race couples in it, as do many of the shows. Must be saying something for ABC's audience.

Or some lawyer firm advertising their services for accident victims or whatever.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,554 Admiral
    edited March 2019 #44
    Every channel is like that now it seems to me.  Late at night they'll have 2-3 lawyers in a row
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,415 Admiral
    edited March 2019 #45
    Netflix works for me, I don't watch much tv to begin with.  I haven't had cable in well over a decade.  Netflix is cheap, easy and has a good selection.  And no commercials.

Edit
    Also, for those with a smart tv, one can download "show box" on their phone, and mirror it to the screen.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    I use a library card & check out movies & box sets of programs.

Can't beat the price.  A $35 Dvd player.

• chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,124 Officer
    I put TV and internet in peoples houses for a living and nowadays it’s mostly internet. There are so many choices for streaming it’s crazy.

Seen one called mywifiTV that seemed to cover the bases for people that watch a lot of TV. Think the guy said it was about 50 a month.

Thankfully I get the team discount cause I don’t watch a bunch of TV but like sports center in the morning b4 work.

National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    Careful.  Remember when the music industry made an example of 1 Napster user.

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    Careful.
    VPN
    There is still a trail... if someone wanted to follow it.
  • mrblugilmrblugil Posts: 834 Officer
    well I had a chat with local Spectrum counter guy and he said if I went with the bare minimum programing it lower my monthly bill to around $140 and gave me a sheet of paper with channels I could pick ten at no additional cost,guess I'll dump it til college football starts in Sept
  • dnelsondnelson Posts: 246 Deckhand
    Just remember you are streaming that from a phone or iPad , have to have a smart tv or a way for your tv to receive it. Sounded good till I had to buy a device for four tv’s
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,352 Admiral
    Antennae for local free tv and netflix and amazon from wifi. 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    edited April 2019 #53
    Has anybody used or have any information on the Fire-stick? Amazon or other?
    It sounds too good to be true.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    I have a firestick and love it. If you are looking for recent movies not so much. But it has a lot of classics and some great documentary's. So it depends on what you are looking for.
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,124 Officer
    One with the kodi program?  Are those still available?  Haven’t heard much about it lately 
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,193 Captain
    I use the firestick "unlocked" with kodi.  I can watch pretty much anything I want, but the quality is sometimes bad and the streams can be iffy.  

Streaming sports is the biggest problem for me. 

You can watch YouTube videos for how to "unlock" it and download kodi, exodus, etc.. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    One with the kodi program?  Are those still available?  Haven’t heard much about it lately 
    That is because services like flixify.com and flixtor.to = Same thing but you don't have to buy anything.
    How do you stream it a TV without buying a device to do it?

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

The last couple of yrs tv's have gotten so cheap. A 32" smart tv less than $200
    My TV is a smart TV, but I don't remember a web browser. It is about 6 years old though. 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    My TV is a smart TV, but I don't remember a web browser. It is about 6 years old though. 
    It probably has it if it's hooked to the internet.
    stc1993 said:
    cadman said:
    It probably has it if it's hooked to the internet.
    I am going to study it when i get home. Maybe I just missed it. It has a bunch of apps type channels like the Roku. 

Mini Mart Magnate