Home Off Topic

Cable alternative?

mrblugilmrblugil Posts: 834 Officer
edited March 2019 in Off Topic #1
Anyone try the Livewave that's supposed to be better than cabal and lots cheaper,I have Spectrum and just got bill for  $196 and I didn't order anything different than last month,which was $186,about ready to pull the plug

Replies

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    I dont deal cabals. They are too politically oriented and dangerous.
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 372 Deckhand
    I dont deal cabals. They are too politically oriented and dangerous.
    Better stick to coteries.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    Time to put the cabosh on the cabal!  

Captain Todd Approves

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    A consideration: Call Spectrum and ask to cancel your service.  They will transfer you to a different department and likely give you a significant discount.  They did for me.   Good luck.
  • mrblugilmrblugil Posts: 834 Officer
    Geeze where are all the English majors today,I meant CABLE thankS TARPONATOR GUESS i'll try that
    edited March 2019 #7
    Yer welcum.  :)

Please let us know how it works out.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,069 Captain
    A consideration: Call Spectrum and ask to cancel your service.  They will transfer you to a different department and likely give you a significant discount.  They did for me.   Good luck.
    We did the same thing with Centry Link. Got a 30% cut on our bill. We got tired of even paying that, digital antenna Amazon Fire, Netflix, Hulu, etc for the rest it’s not completely free, but it’s about $130.00 a month cheaper than our cable bill was. It does suck during CFB season though. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,026 Admiral
    I have two red Solo Cups wrapped in Aluminum foil nailed to the roof...hope this helps...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,104 Moderator
    mrblugil said:
    Geeze where are all the English majors today,I meant CABLE thankS TARPONATOR GUESS i'll try that

Corrected it for you mrblugil.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• mrblugilmrblugil Posts: 834 Officer
    thanks for helping a very old man
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,555 Admiral

I was thinking about getting a antenna for a house that I hardly use because it made no sense to pay over $180 for something I never really used.  I got the idea from a friend that lives in Miami who said he gets tons of channels over the airways with a digital antenna.  Yeah, a lot of them broadcast in Spanish but its free.

I opted to get a bare minimum package from Xfinity on a promotion they were running, $71 for internet and basic cable.  When I say basic, it is really just some local channels.

The promotion was for a year at that price.  Going to really have to look at my bills come August then time to look for another deal or plead with them to keep the existing plan.

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    mrblugil said:
    Anyone try the Livewave that's supposed to be better than cabal and lots cheaper,I have Spectrum and just got bill for  $196 and I didn't order anything different than last month,which was $186,about ready to pull the plug
    Livewave is another crappy antenna that promises the moon and won't deliver. There is no antenna that will get you cable channels unless they broadcast over the air. Any antenna will get over the air channels, just buy one from 
    Home Depot, Walmart, etc. 

THERE IS NO ANTENNA THAT WILL TURN YOUR HOME WIRING INTO A GIANT ANTENNA! this scam is old and from the 70s when another company claimed to be able to do that. It doesn't work. 

Don't believe the claims of 100 mile range, they aren't possible in 99% of the applications. The digital signal isn't strong enough. The most you will get is 40 to 60 miles in the right area with little interference. But you will pick up quite few channels. 

I have one exterior pole mounted antenna on the living room set and get over 20 over the air channels, The bedrooms use indoor antennas and get 10 in one and 12 on the other. 

I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime and a Roku with its many channels. I have yet to get bored, but I don't watch a lot of TV and like old TV shows I can get on Netflix and Prime. I found the Real McCoys on Prime the other day. 

As stated above, college football season is the only time I miss cable, but I can still get quite a few games on the ESPN channel on Roku, you just have to watch one of ESPNs alternate broadcasts of a game like the sky cam version. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,419 Officer
    King_Me said:

I was thinking about getting a antenna for a house that I hardly use because it made no sense to pay over $180 for something I never really used.  I got the idea from a friend that lives in Miami who said he gets tons of channels over the airways with a digital antenna.  Yeah, a lot of them broadcast in Spanish but its free.

I opted to get a bare minimum package from Xfinity on a promotion they were running, $71 for internet and basic cable.  When I say basic, it is really just some local channels.

The promotion was for a year at that price.  Going to really have to look at my bills come August then time to look for another deal or plead with them to keep the existing plan.

We dumped direct tv a month or so ago. They offered to cut price by 30% but we still opted to cancel.
    Hulu is now offering local live tv so we wnt that route for $45. Few days later we get e promotion from Xfinity, appears they are getting into the streaming game too.
    Between Hulu and prime we dont need anything else. 
    Prime series currently watching is Tin star and Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Both pretty good thus far!
    Jason :USA
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,554 Admiral
    I cut the cable about a yr ago. Our tv has a built in digital antenna we get 5-6 channels from Columbus Ga.  But none from Albany where I live.

I do miss the crab fishing show & the tuna fishing show.
    1outlaw said:
    King_Me said:

We dumped direct tv a month or so ago. They offered to cut price by 30% but we still opted to cancel.
    Hulu is now offering local live tv so we wnt that route for $45. Few days later we get e promotion from Xfinity, appears they are getting into the streaming game too.
    Between Hulu and prime we dont need anything else. 
    Prime series currently watching is Tin star and Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Both pretty good thus far!
    This is really all I need as I already am a subscriber with Amazon Prime and Netflix.  All I need is a internet connection to stream from.  Will look into other options when the Xfinity subscription ends or nears the end.
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    stc1993 said:
    I cut the cable about a yr ago. Our tv has a built in digital antenna we get 5-6 channels from Columbus Ga.  But none from Albany where I live.

I do miss the crab fishing show & the tuna fishing show.
    I will fill you in,,
     more rough seas, some crab pots are full, some not so. A new guy gets cussed out for not keeping up. 
     One boat is catching its fill of tuna and laughing at the other boats. (All in deep obnoxious yankee accents) Another captain is pissed because he doesn’t like the price at the dock and claims he will win next year!
     There, your all filled in.  ;)
    What's redneck drawl for "you're"?  I'm curious.

;)
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,876 Admiral

;)
    Yure? Maybe....?
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,026 Admiral
    Ya'll kinda covers you..or the entire Family..Or whoever's standing there in Swinging Range..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,837 AG
    I havent had cable in 10 years. I use an antenna but never watch those channels that it has, probably 30 or so.

But I can watch anything thats aired on cable and anything on DVD, blu rays Netflix, whatever, for free. Even live sports. Its easy but you have to be younger than a boomer to figure it out
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,295 AG
    I have been very happy with DirecTV for the past 20 years.   but i'm ready to cancel it and just go with netflix to save money.   We'll see.   
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    rock_fish said:
    I havent had cable in 10 years. I use an antenna but never watch those channels that it has, probably 30 or so.

But I can watch anything thats aired on cable and anything on DVD, blu rays Netflix, whatever, for free. Even live sports. Its easy but you have to be younger than a boomer to figure it out

A friend of ours(or was a friend) deals with these boxes that can get literally everything available by streaming from the internet  He use to come over to the house and hook it up and kind of tease us on what it could do.  I never could break out the $150 for the purchase of the box.

I think you can only get them on the black market.   

• SC53SC53 Posts: 604 Officer
    We just we recently cancelled cable, kept internet of course.
    Had Prime, added Sling TV blue & orange plus their heartland ( Outdoor & World Fishing channels among others) and DVR package for $40 a month.  Got an RCA HD antenna from Best Buy for $35 and pick up all local channels.  Great picture!
     Couldn’t be happier.
    rock_fish said:

Even baby boomers can figure it out, we just don't like breaking the law .

Had to discipline an employee streaming illegally at work when I got a notice from Cox Cable about illegal downloads on my internet. 

Mini Mart Magnate

King_Me said:
    rock_fish said:

A friend of ours(or was a friend) deals with these boxes that can get literally everything available by streaming from the internet  He use to come over to the house and hook it up and kind of tease us on what it could do.  I never could break out the $150 for the purchase of the box.

I think you can only get them on the black market.   

Bought mine at Walmart. Used it to watch one or two things. You can also get legal apps on it as well.
    Just wasn't worth the risk to me. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    People have demonstrated that they are happy to pay what ever the cable/satellite companies demand, pay per view, HBO, STARS, Hulu, you name it, are all at extra charge and the masses can't pay enough for that crap. I remember when they first ran cable down our street back in the 80's it was $9.95 a month for basic and the promise of no commercials and all kinds of lies. People fell for it hook line and sinker and still are happy to pay up. It is our own fault.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    200 channels and still nothing to watch. 

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,552 AG

;)
    Funny that some people run around correcting other people but don’t have time to correct themselves? Or is their hubris creating a blind spot?
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 790 Officer
    I have used youtube tv for about a year, it gives me all the tv i need.  Combine it with net flex and prime, about $65 a month.  We are not die hard tv watched and some times I wonder why I subscribe to net flex most of their  movies suck, that is my opinion and Prive is to a whole lot better but with free shipping, prefer to shop local, but can get stuff I need quicker and things not available near me.
    As long as I can watch Sanford &Son, Seinfeld and Columbo. I’m happy.