9 miles out.

po28derpo28der Posts: 265 Deckhand
Made it 9 miles out today with shrimp and squid. I think I caught everything today. Porgies, ring tail, sheep heads, black drum, croaker, grunts, and even snapper. It was ruff out there today but it was nonstop fishing. The bait of choice was shrimp. Squid did not do very well. And all the bait shops on Heckscher where out of fiddlers.  I did learn a lot today considering this was my 2nd trip past the jetties on my boat. First I see why bluewater, contender, regulators cost so much. I would have never considered going past the jetties in my old boat. Next the fish finder does not lie. If your not marking fish don’t drop a line. Pull up anchor and reposition. Have several baits. And more then you think you need. If they are hitting your going to go through some. Also have several different kinda hooks. I was losing bait. Switched hooks and started to pull ring tail. Then the drum showed up. But I did not have an other rod rigged up so I kept fishing with the smaller hooks. And I lost a real nice one at the side of the boat. Next if your marking fish sit for a while. Something will soon happen. It was funny I would catch the different fish in waves. So next time I am going to have more bait. And rods hooked up with small hooks and bigger ones. Thanks for all you guys share. 

Replies