Home Off Topic

Bought some more goat today.

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I have had both and I don't think goat and lamb are similar in taste, lamb has a strange taste, goat is different.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    bicyclist said:

Very good for premade Thai curries. One even has Cobia as the first ingredient.  Some hotter than others. One can mixed with 1 or 2 cans of good coconut milk and veggies, chicken, fish etc. Great meal with rice in 30 minutes.

Hmm, I should stock a few cans when I want flavor up something.  

Captain Todd Approves

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,136 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    bicyclist said:

Very good for premade Thai curries. One even has Cobia as the first ingredient.  Some hotter than others. One can mixed with 1 or 2 cans of good coconut milk and veggies, chicken, fish etc. Great meal with rice in 30 minutes.

Hmm, I should stock a few cans when I want flavor up something.  
    I like Thai Kitchen curry, it's in a bottle so no can taste
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited July 2019 #35
    The future is food cans lined with some sorta poison (in CA) that does not contaminate the food taste. Where have you been?
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    surfman said:
    I have had both and I don't think goat and lamb are similar in taste, lamb has a strange taste, goat is different.

There is a difference.

Lamb is succulent and delicious, goat is tough and....meh it's ok I guess.

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    Branched-chain fatty acids.  
    Lamb has it.  Just sayin.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.

Is this what makes lamb so delicious and succulent?

The fat on lamb rib chops is sooooo good

That's what culinary scientists say.
    Like a lot of things, some people react very favorably to them, others the opposite.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    tankard said:

Pretty much the only fat that tastes bad is venison IMO. My favorite is probably smoked mullet fat.
    Tyler Durden once made me the most delicious chicken and french fries, but he refused to tell me what kind of oil he used t deep fry it

Captain Todd Approves

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,820 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    Tyler Durden once made me the most delicious chicken and french fries, but he refused to tell me what kind of oil he used t deep fry it
    coconut oil
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    edited August 2019 #43
    bicyclist said:
    tankard said:

Pretty much the only fat that tastes bad is venison IMO. My favorite is probably smoked mullet fat.
    i had bear once in my life and that was the worst fatty meat ever. One of the few foods i will not eat again. 

i got to buy some more goat this weekend. BBQ this time maybe

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,430 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    Did Tyler and Todd get on fairly well?
    I suspect they did.....
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    bicyclist said:
    tankard said:

Ever tried smoked whitefish?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I like curried goat and BBQ goat and lamb. They do taste different. Had a Jamaican restaurant that did a great job on curried goat!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    bicyclist said:
    tankard said:

Ever tried smoked whitefish?
    No, I'll keep and eye out. Is it something like cold water stripers? They are really tasty on the grill.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,105 Admiral
    There is a fish called Milk fish (Bangus in Filipino) that has a high belly fat content even more than Mullet. I don't usually care for them because of their feather bones but the smoked bellies are high fat and really good.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,554 Admiral
    cadman said:
    bicyclist said:
    tankard said:

i had bear once in my life and that was the worst fatty meat ever. One of the few foods i will not eat again. 

i got to buy some more goat this weekend. BBQ this time maybe
    Cadman your going to turn into an old goat you keep going.
    Escolar...in small quantities. 😐
    IMO Hamachi is at least as good as escolar and won't give you the squirts.
    Intentionally eating things that give one the squirts is just odd. 

Well, look who does just that...

Only if you do it wrong...
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    bicyclist said:
    I just googled that fish. Why would anyone eat one of those just to get sick later on? I don't care what it tastes like, 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,105 Admiral
    edited August 2019 #56
    cadman said:
    bicyclist said:
    I just googled that fish. Why would anyone eat one of those just to get sick later on? I don't care what it tastes like, 

Taste like butter. I've eaten quite a bit at a time. Maybe 8+ pieces of Sashimi and never got the chits. I think you need to eat a bunch unless you have a digestive disorder.

Tankard is right though, Hamachi is just as good, not quite as buttery but probably my favorite Sashimi fish except for really fatty Tuna belly.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

My favorite sushi is mackerel, but **** it has to be fresh.  

Yeah I know all sushi has to be fresh, but there are places that aren't quite as fresh as others.

Captain Todd Approves

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,136 Admiral
    When you say fresh, you meant fresh from the freezer, right
    In order to be sold as sushi it must have been frozen first
    Sure.  Fresh as in the closest to being fresh caught and handled properly.  I can't imagine the taste of mackerel varies much and sometimes it's delicious and sometimes it don't taste right.  I assume it depends on how the fish got from being caught to my plate.

Captain Todd Approves

edited August 2019 #60
    bicyclist said:

The Problem with Escolar

Escolar cannot metabolize the wax esters naturally found in its diet. These esters are called gempylotoxin, and this is what gives the flesh of escolar its oily texture. The downside is that these esters are are very similar to castor or mineral oil, and when full portions of escolar are consumed, they can cause gastrointestinal symptoms. To be frankly and bluntly specific — and I’m sorry for this — consumption of escolar causes explosive, oily, orange diarrhea. People have reported that the discharges are often difficult to control and accidents can happen while passing gas.

Yea that's toxic.........I'll just have the salad...thanks.

https://www.thekitchn.com/use-caution-when-eating-escola-66602
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,931 Captain
    bicyclist said:

The Problem with Escolar

Escolar cannot metabolize the wax esters naturally found in its diet. These esters are called gempylotoxin, and this is what gives the flesh of escolar its oily texture. The downside is that these esters are are very similar to castor or mineral oil, and when full portions of escolar are consumed, they can cause gastrointestinal symptoms. To be frankly and bluntly specific — and I’m sorry for this — consumption of escolar causes explosive, oily, orange diarrhea. People have reported that the discharges are often difficult to control and accidents can happen while passing gas. Yea that's toxic.........I'll just have the salad...thanks.

https://www.thekitchn.com/use-caution-when-eating-escola-66602
    Too much  mullet roe when drunk can cause the same thing. Somebody told me that anyway. lol
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)