cooking scallops

smooth movesmooth move Posts: 438 Deckhand
the scallop topic in general fishing got me fired up. we love scalloping. it's a family thing from gathering, to cleaning, to cooking and eating. not many activities can compare for family fun. we have only cooked them in olive oil and butter. what are some of ya'lls favorite recipes?

le se' bon ton roulet

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,644 Moderator
    I cook them in EVOO with garlic and serve over pasta or cook them in a paella
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,972 Captain
    Fresh scallops are excellent sashimi, or an outstanding addition to ceviche. They need little cooking, less than one minute over medium heat. Fried scallops are a waste of tasteful protein.
    F the feds
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,434 Officer
    I cook them in EVOO with garlic and serve over pasta or cook them in a paella
    We add some onion and pesto.
    Ritual is to catch, clean, cook and gather around a platter with 4 of us armed with a fork. Quickly followed by deep sleep.
    Great meal after a long day of dealing with dorks.

"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 204 Deckhand

Light seasoning of  pepper, ginger powder.  A little EVOO and mirin in the pan and a dash of soy sauce.  Sautee over medium heat for about 1 minute.

We then made sushi rolls out of them, or you could do salt, pepper, bread crumbs and butter in the individual shells and bake them.

• Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    x2 on ceviche - they make an excellent ceviche...  

Fritters (hush puppy mix + Everglades + onion)  basic recipe from MikeHels (long time member)...

and though some fear it ;) - scallops are delicious fried - dip in egg wash then favorite coating.  :)
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,461 AG
    x2 on ceviche - they make an excellent ceviche...  

Fritters (hush puppy mix + Everglades + onion)  basic recipe from MikeHels (long time member)...

and though some fear it ;) - scallops are delicious fried - dip in egg wash then favorite coating.  :)
    x2 on light frying,, hope this year finds you and yours well!

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:

x2 on light frying,, hope this year finds you and yours well!

Thanks Art!  We are enjoying the days that are given to us...been buying more fish than catching tho - luckily I know of a good fish house. ;)  Hope you and yours are well also. :smile:

I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• Bucknuts34Bucknuts34 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    1. wrap scallops in bacon and cook on grill till done. Need to use toothpick to hold together
    2. franks redhot and use 1 cup  and mix with 1 cup apricot preserves heat on medium heat until mixed well.
    3. Let mixture cool for a few mintues and pour over cooked bacon wrapped scallops
    4. Delicious
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 438 Deckhand
    thanks. now i have more ideas than scallops. Lol!
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,453 Captain
    I like them blackened, fried, or sautéed with fresh garlic, cilantro, and butter. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,137 AG
    blackened and finished with a white wine cream sauce and then the whole thing poured over grilled mahi or your favorite grilled fish.   save a little sauce for the angel hair and a bottle of pinot grigio. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.