Home Off Topic

10mm pistols?

Replies

• Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
    edited March 2019 #32
    Actually, in real-world examples there's not a lot of difference in stopping power from .380 ACP through .44 Magnum. But there's really not a lot of examples for .44 Magnum, it's not really a popular carry gun.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,552 AG
    Actually, in real-world examples there's not a lot of difference in stopping power from .380 ACP through .44 Magnum. But there's really not a lot of examples for .44 Magnum, it's not really a popular carry gun.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866
    Hey! Stop dissing Dirty Harry!
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,446 Captain
    looks being secondary to performance, it looks good enough to inquire about.    I like the look of 1911s very much that is the kind of pistol I want.   But not if the caliber doesn't shoot well or the brand is garbage.   I've looked at dozens of 1911 and they all have varying details to them.   

brand is rock island.  I am not familiar with that brand either. 
    Didn't Rock Island supply 1911's to the military?
    stc1993 said:
    I read an article a while back about the phlilipinos hand making the .45 pistols.  No serial numbers or no trace.
    Probably sort of a one shot zip gun.

edited March 2019 #36
    Scoutboat said:
    stc1993 said:
    I read an article a while back about the phlilipinos hand making the .45 pistols.  No serial numbers or no trace.

They actually look like pretty good quality. Skip to about the 49:10 mark.

• dbourbondbourbon Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Orange county sheriffs department carries Glocks chambered in .45, at least last time I talked to one it was.

They are currently looking to go back to 9mm. They are also looking to have them with mini red dots on them. FWC has just (or will be) switching back to 9mm as well. That is the current trend with L.E. 40 cal. has dropped down tremendously in preference.

Too many female officers can't handle the recoil of .40.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,554 Admiral
    Scoutboat said:
    stc1993 said:

They looked just like the 1911.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    dbourbon said:
    Orange county sheriffs department carries Glocks chambered in .45, at least last time I talked to one it was.

They are currently looking to go back to 9mm. They are also looking to have them with mini red dots on them. FWC has just (or will be) switching back to 9mm as well. That is the current trend with L.E. 40 cal. has dropped down tremendously in preference.

All these departments switch calibers and pistols so often. One year they have sigs chambered in 40, next they have 1911's chambered in .45, then they have glocks chambered in 9mm. At this point they shojuld just let them carry their weapon of choice as long as it passes some tests and they can qualify with it. I know a few police departments do that around the country. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,470 Officer
    I have a Glock 10mm. With 15 rounds of Buffalo Bore hardened lead bullets it’s my go to sidearm when hunting and hogs show up. It will shoot all the way thru them, and leave my ears ringing.  I have a friend that has shot big boars with a 45 only to see them trot off. Now to get the accuracy needed to shoot hard lead ammo, I had to buy a different barrel. My standard load is a 200 grain XTP loaded with 7 grains of long shot. 
    stc1993 said:
    Scoutboat said:
    stc1993 said:

They looked just like the 1911.
    Yep, what you saw sure does.
    But I cannot imagine a Phillipino with hand tools, making a sophisticated 1911.
    Jim
    I have a Glock 10mm. With 15 rounds of Buffalo Bore hardened lead bullets it’s my go to sidearm when hunting and hogs show up. It will shoot all the way thru them, and leave my ears ringing.  I have a friend that has shot big boars with a 45 only to see them trot off. Now to get the accuracy needed to shoot hard lead ammo, I had to buy a different barrel. My standard load is a 200 grain XTP loaded with 7 grains of long shot. 
    It all depends where you hit them and what bullet is used.  The .45 Long Colt may be the best of them all.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,069 Captain
    Scoutboat said:
    It all depends where you hit them and what bullet is used.  The .45 Long Colt may be the best of them all.
    My 270 seems to work pretty good on them. So does my 17 if I put it in the ear hole. 
    edited March 2019 #45
    Scoutboat said:
    Yep, what you saw sure does.
    But I cannot imagine a Phillipino with hand tools, making a sophisticated 1911.
    Jim
    Did you see the video in my post? They have a machine shop, and the workers also have experience in legal gun factories. They are actual trained gunsmiths, and that region has been producing guns since the Japanese occupation. Here's the relevant part from the previous video:

Scoutboat said:
    looks being secondary to performance, it looks good enough to inquire about.    I like the look of 1911s very much that is the kind of pistol I want.   But not if the caliber doesn't shoot well or the brand is garbage.   I've looked at dozens of 1911 and they all have varying details to them.   

I believe Rock Island was a US Armory.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,036 Admiral
    stc1993 said:
    Scoutboat said:

I believe Rock Island was a US Armory.
    Rock Island Armory is in the Philippines . They make very respectable pistols
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
     https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Island_Arsenal

I was thinking of this one arsenal not armory.

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,017 Moderator
    After the April 11, 1986 Kendall Shootout, where 2 FBI agents were killed and 5 others wounded, the FIB gathered the most respected wound experts in the country, Military, Medical Examiners, ER Doctors, etc. and asked what was the best caliber to stop a person with one round.  There answer was it could not be fired from a handgun.  Their response was the best one could do was tissue displacement and bleeding.  With this in mind, the FBI shot a lot of different rounds under a lot of different conditions, thru light clothing, thru heavy clothing, thru sheet metal as used in automobiles, thru drywall, etc.  The results of this test was an altered 10mm.  The one on the market was too powerful.  The reduced charge did everything they asked for 90% of the time.  Once the round was developed, they asked various gun manufacturers to produce the firearm.  Smith won the contract to produce the Model 1076.  The gun holds 9 in the magazine and one in the chamber.
    It's a heavy firearm, not for concealed carry, but extremely accurate and I know, from personal experience, the round will blow the socks off a 9mm and is more accurate then a .45  1911.  A problem developed after about 2 years of this firearm in the field and they were all recalled, remanufacturered and reissued.  The original handguns were offered to the agents that they had been issued to at cost.  I believe I paid $250.00 for mine, with Tritium sights. I carried this firearm on duty, and since retiring, I have put over 10,000 rounds thru this gun with zero problems. 
    When asked by people who know my background, what is the best gun for home protection, I tell them a 12 gauge pump shotgun, but my 10mm is the gun I have in my nightstand
    The 10 is an awesome round, just a little too much for a lot of folks. 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    edited March 2019 #51
    Jack is right. 
     Normally all it takes is to rack the slide of a 12 gauge pump. 
     The sound will usually end all potential  hostilities. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,893 Captain
    I remember the first time I shot a .45.
    Braced for recoil.
    In fact, to me the standard .45 round is rather mild.
    I greatly admire my Ruger 1911 .45 but would consider a 1911 10mm for added challenge, trail/ kit/ boat gun.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    Jack is right. 
    Bingo!!!
    Mines already got a shell in the chamber. 
    pottydoc said:
    Scoutboat said:
    My 270 seems to work pretty good on them. So does my 17 if I put it in the ear hole. 
    That's what I said.  Shot placement is key.
    After the April 11, 1986 Kendall Shootout, where 2 FBI agents were killed and 5 others wounded, the FIB gathered the most respected wound experts in the country, Military, Medical Examiners, ER Doctors, etc. and asked what was the best caliber to stop a person with one round.  There answer was it could not be fired from a handgun.  Their response was the best one could do was tissue displacement and bleeding.  With this in mind, the FBI shot a lot of different rounds under a lot of different conditions, thru light clothing, thru heavy clothing, thru sheet metal as used in automobiles, thru drywall, etc.  The results of this test was an altered 10mm.  The one on the market was too powerful.  The reduced charge did everything they asked for 90% of the time.  Once the round was developed, they asked various gun manufacturers to produce the firearm.  Smith won the contract to produce the Model 1076.  The gun holds 9 in the magazine and one in the chamber.
    It's a heavy firearm, not for concealed carry, but extremely accurate and I know, from personal experience, the round will blow the socks off a 9mm and is more accurate then a .45  1911.  A problem developed after about 2 years of this firearm in the field and they were all recalled, remanufacturered and reissued.  The original handguns were offered to the agents that they had been issued to at cost.  I believe I paid $250.00 for mine, with Tritium sights. I carried this firearm on duty, and since retiring, I have put over 10,000 rounds thru this gun with zero problems. 
    When asked by people who know my background, what is the best gun for home protection, I tell them a 12 gauge pump shotgun, but my 10mm is the gun I have in my nightstand
    Accuracy is not paramount in a home defense weapon.
    Scoutboat said:
    So you spray and pray.  I hit what I aim at
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    Jack is right. 
    Or tell a guy with a gun where you are at so he knows where to shoot. If a bad guy is in my house, I want him to hear the gun after he feels it's presence. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    cadman said:
    Jack is right. 
    Or tell a guy with a gun where you are at so he knows where to shoot. If a bad guy is in my house, I want him to hear the gun after he feels it's presence. 
    If that was normally the case, but it’s not. 
     Most encounters are in broad daylight and open places. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    cadman said:
    Jack is right. 
    If that was normally the case, but it’s not. 
     Most encounters are in broad daylight and open places. 
    You carry a shotgun in open places? I definitely would not walk around with a shotgun. My .38 snub nose fits in my pocket, 

I thought this was home protection, which is usually at night and very rare in reality. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Scoutboat said:
    So you spray and pray.  I hit what I aim at
    Home defense situations occur at less than 20 feet.