Home Off Topic

10mm pistols?

Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,243 AG
Are they worth owning vs a 9mm or something else?  I've seen a 1911 10mm that i think looks kind of cool, might be cheaper than owning a .45 ammunition wise but i'm not sure.   Anyone own one?   Opinions?   
Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  

Replies

• PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 294 Deckhand
    Yep. I have a Sig 10mm. I like it.  I like the round as well the .45. 
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,413 Admiral
    You you say it looks "kind of cool"?
    Why don't you wait until you see one that is "totally cool" and buy that one?
    Hope this helps
    Best of luck in your endeavor....sincerely
    author
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,243 AG
    edited March 2019 #5
    looks being secondary to performance, it looks good enough to inquire about.    I like the look of 1911s very much that is the kind of pistol I want.   But not if the caliber doesn't shoot well or the brand is garbage.   I've looked at dozens of 1911 and they all have varying details to them.   

brand is rock island.  I am not familiar with that brand either. 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    edited March 2019 #6
    If you want a 1911 get a .45 acp. 10mm ammo is more expensive and harder to find. Not much better balistics. 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,243 AG
    If you want a 1911 get a .45 acp. 10mm ammo is more expensive and harder to find. Not much better balistics. 
    Thanks man that's the info I was looking for
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,021 Admiral
    I have several 10mm and carry a Glock 20 everyday. It's a horse of a cartridge and Buffalo Bore makes some very nasty ammo for it. I use the heavy stuff for hiking. 

10mm offers much higher capacity and better feed control that a 45
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
    edited March 2019 #9
    10mm is a fantastic round, especially if you hand load. Factory 10mm tends to be on the weak side but hand loading really brings out the beast in this caliber. And if you already load .40 you can use the same bullets and powders, but 10mm uses large pistol primers.

Someday I would love a 10mm carbine, just not that fugly Hi-Point one!
  • lilwoodylilwoody Posts: 1,120 Officer
    10mm is the most powerful cartridge for of the standard size auto pistols that has ammo easily available. I personally prefer revolvers for a pistol that is going to deliver over 500 ft/lbs of energy. If I were to get a auto that is in the standard magnum revolver power range I'd go with either 10mm or my first choice would be the 460 Rowland.  I also wouldn't consider either if I did not reload.  
    "Those who will trade freedom for security will have neither".
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    10mm is a bad*** round. So is .45acp. 10mm is incredibly powerful for a handgun round. However it is much harder to find and it is more expensive. It is slowly gaining popularity but IMO it isnt worth getting until ammo is much more widely available. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,002 Admiral
    Remember , A 10 pound every day Carry ends up staying in the Truck most of the time.....just sayin..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    edited March 2019 #13
    Remember , A 10 pound every day Carry ends up staying in the Truck most of the time.....just sayin..
    The op asked about a full size 1911 and 10 mm vs a .45. I’m sure he is aware carry guns are available, but he’s asking about a full size combat or target pistol. No one wants to protect their home or shoot at the range with a .380 or 38...just sayin’
    This isnt a 10mm buuut

If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    That looks a little like my freedom arms 454 casull 
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    I like my Ruger .480
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    I found the recoil of the 10mm to be too snappy.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,442 Captain
    The .45 ACP was proven to be the best man stopper before most if not all of us were born.
    You don't know snappy.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Perhaps.

But compared to 9mm, 45 cal, 40 cal, 357 Sig, I do.

10mm is snapper than them all, quite similar to 357 sig, another round I don't like.

Was simply too hard for me at least to control shooting rapidly.

What did you mean, Scout?
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,543 AG
    edited March 2019 #21
    Snappier. Or Red Snapper. I thought my wife’s .357 was pretty mild.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,060 Captain
    Scoutboat said:
    The .45 ACP was proven to be the best man stopper before most if not all of us were born.
    Actually, no. I’ve seen a number of studies done on it, and the 357 mag is at the top of the list for one stop shots. They don’t include stuff like the Casull, or Smith 500. Probably because very few people have been shot by either. 
    I agree. .45 is more of a push than a snap. And if a few extra rounds makes you feel better, you can get a hi cap 1911 like a para ordinance. Or go to the range and practice. I’ve never felt unprepared with a single stack 1911
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Wasn’t the 10mm and .40 originally designed for the FBI and other federal law enforcement?
     But neither one was popular with them?
  • mara5mara5 Posts: 159 Deckhand
    You'll love the 10. Ballistically it is slightly above 357 mag. It is considerably more powerful then 45 acp. Underwood, Buffalo Bore, and a few others are easily available on the net. These manufacturers bring out the real potential of the 10. It packs a hellava wallop. Enjoy.
  • mara5mara5 Posts: 159 Deckhand
    johnpowers; you are somewhat correct. The 10 has been around for a long time. The FBI began to use it as there main weapon, BUT the females had trouble with recoil, and some of the men. ERGO the .40 was developed and became the FBI's weapon of choice.
  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
    Yes, .40 was developed as a "10mm short" round. It's just a shorter 10mm case that uses a small pistol primer instead of a large pistol primer. 

That's also the reason most factory 10mm rounds are so weak compared to what they could be, when the FBI used it they demanded it be loaded that way to make it more manageable. Then they realized "hey why not just shorten the case so we can use smaller frame pistols" and the .40 S&W was born. But the legacy lives on in weak 10mm factory ammo.

If you want to shoot 10mm it's really worth it to load your own ammo, otherwise you're basically shooting .40 S&W rounds.
    For many years, the 45 ACP was the standard issue cartridge for our military.  For good reason, as displayed in the Philippines.  As we progressed in the NATO alliance, the 9 MM gained popularity, along with the fact that female soldiers could not deal  with the recoil of the .45. ACP.
    The .45 ACP remains as the best "man stopper" due to the large frontal area of the bullet, despite its lower velocity.

Orange county sheriffs department carries Glocks chambered in .45, at least last time I talked to one it was.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,060 Captain
    Scoutboat said:
    For many years, the 45 ACP was the standard issue cartridge for our military.  For good reason, as displayed in the Philippines.  As we progressed in the NATO alliance, the 9 MM gained popularity, along with the fact that female soldiers could not deal  with the recoil of the .45. ACP.
    The .45 ACP remains as the best "man stopper" due to the large frontal area of the bullet, despite its lower velocity.

Scout, when the 45 was our military’s side arm, we didn’t have 10mm and .40 cal rounds. And .357’s didn’t come in semi auto. Do a search, there are a number of rounds that are better “one shot stop” other than .45 acp. The .357 is usually the best. However none of them consistently have rach even 50% in stopping someone with a single shot to center mass. So ya need to double tap the bad guy no matter what you’re shooting. The best for one stop shots was a shot gun. No suprise there. Most of the stuff I read didn’t take bullet selection into account. The results could easily change with switching the type of round used. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,541 Admiral
    I read an article a while back about the phlilipinos hand making the .45 pistols.  No serial numbers or no trace.