Atlantic Surf Casting

AllAbootTrootAllAbootTroot Derbyshire UKPosts: 1 Greenhorn
hi Guys, new member here looking for some advice...

I’m travelling from the UK last 2 weeks of April and am staying in Palm Coast, a little south of St Augustine.

We’re a party if 16 and im gonna be taking a charter/day trip out with the other, non angling, members of the group, but as I’ve taken a house on the beach, I’m wondering if it’ll be worth surf casting in this area?

I’d like to know what permits/licences I will need?
What species I could expect at that time of year in that area?
What baits and set ups would be effective?
Is it worth spinning lures? Etc

ive 40yrs experience shore fishing in the UK (although I niwvprefominantly fly fish for Trout) but have never fished in the US before so would gladly take advice on tactics, gear, good angling stores, too.

Any advice would be gratefully received 👍🏻

Many thanks 🎣🐟🐟🐟

Replies

• MCDOOGLESMCDOOGLES Grand Rapids, MI / Saint John's, FLPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    It will be worth bring your fishing equipment for sure. The standard double dropper rig with some shrimp on it should catch you some fish.  There will be whiting and some pompano around then.  I usually bring an assortment of 2 oz to 6 oz leads.  I actually use the same Sonik Vader X carp rods to surf fish as I do carp fishing up north in Michigan. I suggest watching Bama Beach Bums youtube channel if you wanna learn about surf fishing over here. He does most of his fishing in Alabama on the Gulf side but the tactics are the same, and so are the fish pretty much.
  • MCDOOGLESMCDOOGLES Grand Rapids, MI / Saint John's, FLPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    edited March 20 #3
    The rods are 3.25 lb test curve rods, 12 ft. You will need a non resident saltwater license. Feel free to message me if you have more questions. 
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    I'll second what Mcdoogles just said. Standard surf fishing rigs work well. 
    I moved over to the US from the UK and use my 12ft carp rods for surf fishing. Sounds like you already have some shore fishing rods so just bring them over. Might as well bring a spinning rod and lures, metal casting spoons work well. 

You can find out information and licence etc from here https://myfwc.com/license/recreational/saltwater-fishing/

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,806 Captain
    Check out the threads by Larrypompanoman in this forum. He is a guru regarding NE Florida surf fishing. He also has some good stuff on UTube. Hope you have a nice holiday.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• tankardtankard Posts: 6,952 Admiral

Having been quite successful a few times in that exact area, (and being a native Floridian ;) I can tell you there is absolutely no need for those long rods. Standard inshore tackle works just fine, 7' is all you need really.

Unless you want to catch sharks, and I don't, if you're casting past the first trough you've gone too far. All the good fish are right there at your feet. That's where the wave action is that stirs the bottom so they find the food.

And for the love of All That Is Not Tourist, stay far away from those ridiculous beaded wire leaders. As in all fishing, the less terminal tackle the more bites you get. I generally have either 12lb mono or 20lb braid with a 1 or 2oz EGG sinker, stops at a swivel, and 18" to 2' of 25lb mono or so. Small shortshank hook. Sand flea or peeled shrimp have worked best for me.

Bring a sandspike only for keeping your rod out of the sand. If you are actively fishing, hold it! You can feel the subtle difference between a bite and wave action, but you can't see it.

• tankardtankard Posts: 6,952 Admiral

Oh, and I've caught reds, smaller black drum (perfect eating size), whiting, pompano, trout, etc.

A few cats and other trash fish of course, hard to avoid entirely using bait. As said above casting spoons and bucktail jigs are effective too.