Home Off Topic

Ever have your car towed for parking in the wrong spot

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,592 AG
edited March 2019 in Off Topic #1
I just had a car towed. He decided to park on top of the gas tanks and leave his car for several hours in spite of the signs saying we will tow your car. 

He actually took it pretty well, Said it was his fault. I have had some almost get violent over their car getting towed. If they would just read signs and ask someone on duty, we would tell them where to park and not tow them. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,356 Admiral
    Not much you can do, he was in the wrong.  I'm glad he took it well.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,592 AG
    We usually don't have a problem except during Gator home games when we get a few who think we are free parking. The part that really gets me is, they could likely get away with at the Puiblix across the street, but want to try it in my small lot

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    I’ll absolutely tow someone that’s parked in my spot at the office. 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    never had a car towed...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,541 Admiral
    Never had one towed either.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,554 AG
    cadman said:
    We usually don't have a problem except during Gator home games when we get a few who think we are free parking. The part that really gets me is, they could likely get away with at the Puiblix across the street, but want to try it in my small lot
    Have you ever tried grocery shopping at a Publix on a Saturday?  That place is a zoo! :trollface:

Captain Todd Approves

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,002 Admiral
    Most likely cause I park in Rural areas or 50 ft. away from cars in the supermarket lot. I like to have a clean Field of Fire around me if needed....winning...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited March 2019 #9
    Yes, it happened to me while out on the water once @ Gasparilla Marina in Placida.  There was no sign or marking on the spot my car was in.  Mercedes called me to inform me they thought my car was being stolen -- right in the middle of a good tarpon bite.  I arrived back at the dock in a huff and a puff only to find out they had towed my car to the back of the place.  Never kept my boat there again, and took my business down the road to Palm Island Marina.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,351 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    never had a car towed...
    In the mid 70's I was 20. Handicap parking spots were just introduced from what I remember. I pulled into one across from the Boca Mall office to fill out the service ticket for maintenance on all A/C.

Window down, motor running a cop in two minutes puts a ticket on my windshield. I tried to engage him in conversation but he ignored me every time and got in his car and drove off.

I lost it that he would not look or talk to me. I know I should not have parked there but I was young and it was new.

As he drove away I yelled a cuss word. How he heard me I do not know. Lol

I was arrested for saying a cuss word in a public place and my truck was towed away. That was my one time getting towed.

The girlfriend now wife bailed me out of jail.

Went to court and the judge said what? And thru it out. I owed the ticket for parking but being arrested was a waist of time. The court room was all laughing when I said what happened. Was always respectfully to cops.

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,021 Admiral
    Never been towed, but I've had a lot of tractor trailers towed and booted at my business. They think my parking lot is overnight storage. A boot removal is $600 and towing is close to $1200. That gets your attention. Never had any repeat offenders 
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • SC53SC53 Posts: 601 Officer
    Had mine towed once when parked in a Publix parking lot in East Orlando at 50 & 419. Met up with a buddy to fish. Came home and no truck.  Seems they had put up some very small, inconspicuous no parking signs around the perimeter of the huge lot that I didn’t see in the dark when I parked. Had to go to towing company on the other side of Orlando to get it. Can’t remember what it cost but it wasn’t cheap.  Found out it was that particular Publix manager that had the signs put up. Never parked or shopped at that Publix again.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,188 Captain
    I had my truck towed from my in-laws condo in Boca Raton.  I was staying there while working overnight in the area. 

I guess that huge condo lot does not allow pickup trucks of any kind. 

~$300 later and I got my truck.  It's pure BS
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    Guess you really love that office parking place!!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    edited March 2019 #15
    For what I paid for it, your dang right I do.  And my clients deserve a spot right out front. Not being taken up by people that want to go to the post office without having to deal with their mess of a parking lot
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    LOL!  Cad is on to me.  During Gator home games, I have a sign, "Park All Day $10".  I go from lot to lot parking one or two cars in each, then move on.  Usually get about $150 per game.

ANYHOW - First day of my Sophomore year at college - way back when I was 18- I parked in wrong spot on campus.  Got towed.  Went to tow yard and asked guy working on truck how to get my car back.  He said to go pay in office, then I could have my car.  I walked around corner, waited 5 minutes, went to car, waved to guy, and then hauled **** out of there at 100mph (69 Cougar). 

By the time I got back to dorm, cops were on the phone.  They asked me to come down to police station next morning to be arrested, or they could come get me right now.  I agreed to come in morning, so I did.  Went there at 8AM and said, "I'm here to be arrested".  They put me in jail, fingerprints, mugshot, etc.  Fed me McDonalds food for breakfast.  Wrote me a notice to appear and sent me on my way.

Went to court, towing guy told accurate account of what happened.  Judge found me Not Guilty of Criminal Trespass because there were no signs, it was a public place (business) and they never told me to leave.  Said I should have been charged with Theft of Services.  Towing guy was pissed!  I think the tow charge was only $50 back then.  Mom and Dad paid to have my arrest record expunged.
    23895.gif
    For what I paid for it, your dang right I do.  And my clients deserve a spot right out front. Not being taken up by people that want to go to the post office without having to deal with their mess of a parking lot
    Ahh. Yes it is a little different when you have to pay to park just to go to work.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

I live in Gainesville.

Roam towing capital of the world. Only happened to me once though, you gotta pay attention.

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    edited March 2019 #19
    Most likely cause I park in Rural areas or 50 ft. away from cars in the supermarket lot. I like to have a clean Field of Fire around me if needed....winning...
    I always park away from all cars... where no one else would park and when I come out there is always one or two cars parked right beside me... it is like their cars might get lonely. I dont get it.
    I always park away from all cars... where no one else would park and when I come out there is always one or two cars parked right beside me... it is like their cars might get lonely. I dont get it.
    I thought is was just me!!
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    Late 60s or early 70s I went to a concert in Atlanta and there was a long line of cars parked against a red curb so I joined them. Girlfriend I enjoyed the concert smoked some really good black hash and upon exiting found everyone one of those cars GONE. Had to take a taxi to a hotel and next morning find where my car was located take taxi there pay towing and overnight storage on the cars. Expensive lesson but we had an ounce of hash and said in the Peachtree Plaza so a nice time was had, just and new girlfriend was fun. expensive.
    Deo Vindice
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,351 Admiral
    Anyone ever try and park at The Orange Bowl to watch the Dolphins. It was usually illeagal or in a Cubans yard which was every time for me. 

There was always some idiot that didnt show up in time because cars were packed in.

The crowd would pick them up and move them. If you were lucky it was still on all four wheels.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,554 AG
    Quite a few times, but I was in no condition to keep driving.  Hell, I couldn't even say the alphabet while standing on one leg.

Captain Todd Approves

• saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Yes I have, cost me 236$ for them to tow it 3 miles to they're yard!!!!
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,413 Admiral
    no
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I had a friend that was from NY and his family made a living towing illegally parked cars. They owned a tow company and would just drive the streets of NY looking for a tow. I think they also had some kind of rule that you were not allowed to park on one side of the street or the other on certain days so that the street sweeper could sweep the street, easy money.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,045 Admiral
    I have never been to New York but I have been to London and Paris and I would think owning a car would be a pain in those large congested cities. Probably better to rent one when needed for traveling.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• DrivelousDrivelous Central FLPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    When I was a kid I parked in a NO PARKING lot near the beach.  My car was towed.
    I didn't blame anyone but myself.  That said, the tow company was  bunch of dirty bstards. Not cause they towed my car, but because they were just generally scum.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,413 Admiral
    Drivelous said:
    When I was a kid I parked in a NO PARKING lot near the beach.  My car was towed.
    I didn't blame anyone but myself.  That said, the tow company was  bunch of dirty bstards. Not cause they towed my car, but because they were just generally scum.
    Probably those guys from New York......yea....that's it, New Yorkers
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,032 Captain
    I had a rental car towed in Gaeta Italy, was parked in a regular parking space. 

Turned out the cop cop had a “No Parking-Tow Zone” sign he was carrying around. He’d walk up to a legally parked car, set the sign down next to it, write a ticket, and the tow truck driver was sitting there ready to snatch the car.

Took a bunch of arguing at the rental car place to get them to deal with the police, only reason they gave in was the car of the guy working there got towed off right in front of him.