Wade Fishing NE FL

prknprkn Posts: 27 Greenhorn
I’ve been trying to find good areas to wade in the Jacksonville/St Augustine area but haven’t had much luck. It doesn’t seem as popular here but I’m boatless so I’m trying to find any way I can to get to fishes. I was wondering if anyone has any spots they’re willing to share for wade fishing in this area. 

Replies

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,533 Captain
    Talbot Islands State Park
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • prknprkn Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Vilano area
    I’ve seen people talk about wading here. Where exactly can you wade? 
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,390 Officer
    I usually fish near the rocks on the ocean side but I hear people wade fish near the bridge on the icw side also
    I usually fish near the rocks on the ocean side but I hear people wade fish near the bridge on the icw side also
    I've seen people fishing near the bridge as well but not sure how they get there. I'm not too familiar with the area so do you need a kayak/boat to get there from the Vilano boat ramp or can I park some where and walk there?
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,390 Officer
    Not sure to be honest as I have never fished that side. Im pretty sure there is a fishing pier over there that I assume has parking. 
  • JustDaveJustDave Jacksonville FlPosts: 194 Deckhand
    FloridaOD said:

Many miles of shoreline between fort George inlet, Nassau sound, and Talbot Islands. This entire area is in the same stretch up A1A and offers sand bank, bridge and surf fishing. There are also walking paths (pull offs) between fort George inlet and Nassau sound that will allow you faster access to the southern edge of the sound without having to walk all the way from the boat ramp parking lot. I have caught some very large trout sneaking back on a summer afternoon and throwing hard baits. Good luck and make sure you take some good bug spray (I use Maxi Deet by Sawyer).

Oh yeah if your short on time I have caught plenty of fish just before and after work stopping at any of the bridges just west of 295 and Heckscher drive exit.

1995 Stratos 2500WA Twin 2013 200HO ETECS! 
    JustDave said:

Many miles of shoreline between fort George inlet, Nassau sound, and Talbot Islands. This entire area is in the same stretch up A1A and offers sand bank, bridge and surf fishing. There are also walking paths (pull offs) between fort George inlet and Nassau sound that will allow you faster access to the southern edge of the sound without having to walk all the way from the boat ramp parking lot. I have caught some very large trout sneaking back on a summer afternoon and throwing hard baits. Good luck and make sure you take some good bug spray (I use Maxi Deet by Sawyer).

Oh yeah if your short on time I have caught plenty of fish just before and after work stopping at any of the bridges just west of 295 and Heckscher drive exit.

I've definitely done my fair share of fishing on those bridges when I lived in Jax! I've never been past Huguenot though so I think this weekend I might try closer to Nassau sound and I have some locations marked off near ribault club too 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,533 Captain
    Ribault area provides shoreline and some wade area. 
    The shoreline immediately across is the southern terminus of Talbot State Park, there is a parking area there, access to shore and wade areas.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • biggamebiggame Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    Vilano beach bridge is a excellent place to wade. You can park on the west side of the bridge along the road or park in camachee cove marina and walk along the bridge to the water. There’s a small creek you have to cross but at low tide it’s a couple of inches deep and hightide it’s just below your hips. I use to fish there a lot on foot before I got into kayak fishing. I have caught just about everything under and around that bridge. I caught my biggest flounder under that bridge at 14lbs also snook , tons of trout, reds, sheepshead that are their right now. I even caught a 28 inche gag grouper and yes it was a gag and not a Goliath. I use to climb up the second pillar and fish all night and day.
    edited March 2019 #12
    FloridaOD said:
    Ribault area provides shoreline and some wade area. 
    The shoreline immediately across is the southern terminus of Talbot State Park, there is a parking area there, access to shore and wade areas.
    This was actually where I was going to try next time I'm in Jax! I was going to park at Ribault club and just walk down the shoreline.

biggame said:
    Vilano beach bridge is a excellent place to wade. You can park on the west side of the bridge along the road or park in camachee cove marina and walk along the bridge to the water. There’s a small creek you have to cross but at low tide it’s a couple of inches deep and hightide it’s just below your hips. I use to fish there a lot on foot before I got into kayak fishing. I have caught just about everything under and around that bridge. I caught my biggest flounder under that bridge at 14lbs also snook , tons of trout, reds, sheepshead that are their right now. I even caught a 28 inche gag grouper and yes it was a gag and not a Goliath. I use to climb up the second pillar and fish all night and day.
    Do you normally walk south of the bridge along the shore and how far out can you usually go? Also do you have to swim to get onto the pillars or is it shallow around them? I'm just asking a lot of questions because I'm not the strongest swimmer so I'm cautious about trying new areas. But I've been itching to try it out but I think I might have time this weekend and I want to get out there!
    You can walk south for about a half mile. It ends up where all the boats come out of vilano boat ramp. There’s a small line of rocks you can fish off of. It’s a good spot for sheepshead and reds. If you want to fish there go early because this time of year boats fish the end of the rocks for sheepshead. I usually fish around the bridge. The right side of the bridge is where the old bridge used to be. Fish the old pillars for flounder. The first pillar of the new bridge is the one I normally fish from. At low tide you can walk right to it in a couple of inches of water. I jump up on the piller using a cooler to stand on so I can pull myself up. At hightide if you want to get up or off your going to be swimming. The current does rip through there at a higher tide. I suggest you go at low tide. That way you can check things out a little better. The sheepshead are around the first and second pillars. Fish the first pillar of the new bridge on the right side on a high incoming tide for sheepshead. They are spawning this time of year and a lot of the time they are spawning in a lot shallower water than most people think. Don’t get too close because they spook easily. Night time can be very productive under the bridge. The lights of the bridge attracts bait. The flounder and trout hang in the shadow line of the bridge to ambush bait. What I use to do when fishing off of the first pillar at night. I would bring a tent and beer and just fish all night and leave at low tide.

biggame said:
    You can walk south for about a half mile. It ends up where all the boats come out of vilano boat ramp. There’s a small line of rocks you can fish off of. It’s a good spot for sheepshead and reds. If you want to fish there go early because this time of year boats fish the end of the rocks for sheepshead. I usually fish around the bridge. The right side of the bridge is where the old bridge used to be. Fish the old pillars for flounder. The first pillar of the new bridge is the one I normally fish from. At low tide you can walk right to it in a couple of inches of water. I jump up on the piller using a cooler to stand on so I can pull myself up. At hightide if you want to get up or off your going to be swimming. The current does rip through there at a higher tide. I suggest you go at low tide. That way you can check things out a little better. The sheepshead are around the first and second pillars. Fish the first pillar of the new bridge on the right side on a high incoming tide for sheepshead. They are spawning this time of year and a lot of the time they are spawning in a lot shallower water than most people think. Don’t get too close because they spook easily. Night time can be very productive under the bridge. The lights of the bridge attracts bait. The flounder and trout hang in the shadow line of the bridge to ambush bait. What I use to do when fishing off of the first pillar at night. I would bring a tent and beer and just fish all night and leave at low tide.

Wow thank you for all of this. I’m going to head there early this Saturday, probably two hours before low tide and try out both the bridge and those rocks you mentioned! I really appreciate all the info. Depending on how brave I feel I may try the pillars. Without getting too close and without climbing on the pillars, you can still cast around those first two pillars for sheeps right?
    Yes, the first pillar you can fish from shore at any tide but the second pillar you can wade to at a lower tide. It drops deep around the first pillar on the right side so if you wade to the second pillar don’t get too close to first or you might be swimming. At low there’s a sandbar in between the first and the second pillar and it’s only around a foot deep at low. The sandbar drops about 4 before the second pillar. If you need bait flip over rocks under the bridge and you should be able to find some mud crabs. Don’t use the purple ones they are baby stone crabs and are illegal to use as bait. The bigger the crab the better. They are aggressive this time of year. Good luck!
    biggame said:
    Yes, the first pillar you can fish from shore at any tide but the second pillar you can wade to at a lower tide. It drops deep around the first pillar on the right side so if you wade to the second pillar don’t get too close to first or you might be swimming. At low there’s a sandbar in between the first and the second pillar and it’s only around a foot deep at low. The sandbar drops about 4 before the second pillar. If you need bait flip over rocks under the bridge and you should be able to find some mud crabs. Don’t use the purple ones they are baby stone crabs and are illegal to use as bait. The bigger the crab the better. They are aggressive this time of year. Good luck!
    Thank you for everything, I’ll look for some crabs and pick up some live shrimp from the bait store by the boat ramp too. I think I’ll also bring some artificials to try out
  • TwinTurboJoshTwinTurboJosh Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    How'd the excursion turn out?
    edited April 2019 #18
    How'd the excursion turn out?
    Not too shabby! I got there in the morning and people were already fishing in the area and I didn't grab my waders so I decided to try out some other spots with no luck so I came back later in the day and waded out between the old bridge and the new bridge. Threw a paddletail on a 1/4 oz jighead and caught 3 trouts and some blues late in the afternoon, about an hour after high tide. Definitely worth coming back to, I might stop by on my way home to Jax this weekend and spend some more time scouting it out

I think it would be even better if I could get out there early and at low tide, I tried to Saturday but I was coming from 1.5 hrs away. 
  • YozhYozh Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Just saw this post.  I wade fish under the Vilano Bridge too and wade up at Fort George inlet quite a bit after work in the evenings when the tides align. I really enjoy wade fishing and have a kayak, but end up paddling to places to wade fish. Fort George has been a great producer for quality flounder, trout and redfish. It can get overrun with bluefish, but those can be fun in their own right. With wade fishing I feel you really get a sense of how to fish the water and use the tidal flows to get the best natural presentation. I’m trying to expand the waters I fish and appreciate the insights given by others in the post. If anyone wants to go wade fishing and explore some new water let me know, I’m available in the evenings or if my wife lets me ... early Saturdays. Fish on! 
    Yozh said:
    Just saw this post.  I wade fish under the Vilano Bridge too and wade up at Fort George inlet quite a bit after work in the evenings when the tides align. I really enjoy wade fishing and have a kayak, but end up paddling to places to wade fish. Fort George has been a great producer for quality flounder, trout and redfish. It can get overrun with bluefish, but those can be fun in their own right. With wade fishing I feel you really get a sense of how to fish the water and use the tidal flows to get the best natural presentation. I’m trying to expand the waters I fish and appreciate the insights given by others in the post. If anyone wants to go wade fishing and explore some new water let me know, I’m available in the evenings or if my wife lets me ... early Saturdays. Fish on! 
    Hey man! I would love to join you wade fishing one of these days. I’ve never wade fished fort George before, I don’t know any spots there. I was planning on heading out to vilano this weekend or Friday evening 
  • YozhYozh Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Went to Vilano for an hour yesterday morning before work. Ended up with 2 flounder, one that was 20 inches. Let’s plan a trip to Fort George some evening, either next week or the week after. It’s been great fishing up there lately. I’ll message you my contact info
  • BrownwaterBrownwater Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    edited August 2019 #22
    Well, guess I was fortunate enough to grow up a true jax River Rat, and waded every day most of my life...rain or shine, so I probably know I few spots if you don’t mind tryin out the St Johns? Always a nice brackish mix of Reds, Bass, Trout, seasonal schools of jack, lady’s and nice recent tarpon runs