Home Off Topic

Finally 100% out of debt since I was 22

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Nice. I wonder if your credit score will go down now that you are not paying interest to someone. I never figured how that worked. I would rather be debt free than worry about my score though.
    Congratulations.
    His credit score will likely go down a bit.  Mine did.

But the question is:  Who cares?

Unless you need to go into debt again then your credit score (much less the small drop in it) is meaningless.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,352 Admiral
    Credit score is important but in the same token overrated.  Borrowing money, if anything, is too easy.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    My goal is to die absolutely penniless.   
    Same here. 
    And, my last check I write to the IRS bounces. 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    cadman said:
    Nice. I wonder if your credit score will go down now that you are not paying interest to someone. I never figured how that worked. I would rather be debt free than worry about my score though.
    Congratulations.
    i am interested to see what happens. My credit score was pretty good already. Want to see if it goes up or down after 90 days. Might not change much at all. 
    I have not had a house payment since 2004. My credit score is about as high as it can get. 
     Pay off your credit card bill every month in full and your good to go. 
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    AC Man said:
    My 83 year old mother that lives alone in her house got a telemarketer call and he wanted to help her with her credit score. She told the guy I don't need credit I'm old and I have money. LOL. I worry about her being taken advantage of so this cracked me up. She has no debt and money in the bank, and at 83 I would hope so.
    I am the same way. I have never checked my credit score because I don't really care what it is.
    In my experience lenders will let me borrow 2-3x more than I want too.  So **** my credit score.  Clearly it isn't an issue.  I particularly hate it when a bank attempts to talk me into buying a bigger house than I want.  Being told I could afford more isn't a good business practice.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,536 AG
    edited March 2019 #38
    kellercl said:
    In my experience lenders will let me borrow 2-3x more than I want too.  So **** my credit score.  Clearly it isn't an issue.  I particularly hate it when a bank attempts to talk me into buying a bigger house than I want.  Being told I could afford more isn't a good business practice.
    Bbbbbut Mmm Mary, don’t you understand? You have to buy a bigger house to help finance the people who would never qualify for a mortgage prior to the renewed community Reinvestment Act.
    dave44 said:
    kellercl said:
    Bbbbbut Mmm Mary, don’t you understand? You have to buy a bigger house to help finance the people who would never qualify for a mortgage prior to the Affordable Housing Act.
    That and a lot of money is made off compounding interest, so this country wants me to constantly be in debt.  No thanks.  And frankly I would love to see a mandatory 20% down on anything that is financed in this country.  If a person can't afford 20% down, they can't afford what they are planning on buying.  #harshreality

Don't get me started on the whole PMI BS.  

-Walter Payton
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,579 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    My goal is to die absolutely penniless.   
    My grandpa did that. Had money when he retired at 65 and had less than $1000 in the bank when he died. But he had a blast and traveled after he retired. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,187 Captain
    It honestly scares me talking with ~30 yr olds. (Family and friends) 
    i have some  in laws that are so far in debt it's scary. And it's almost all unnecessary borrow/spending.  New cars, exotic vacations, house remodel etc..
    It honestly scares me talking with ~30 yr olds. (Family and friends) 
    i have some  in laws that are so far in debt it's scary. And it's almost all unnecessary borrow/spending.  New cars, exotic vacations, house remodel etc..
    Agreed.  A few years back I recall wondering how people were able to afford all the luxury items/services they are purchasing...  as it turns out, they can't.  Which is why the average person has no savings, little retirement and has credit card debt.    

-Walter Payton
    Very smart girl Soda, clearly some great parenting going on there.  

-Walter Payton
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,241 AG
    I'd love to take credit, but maybe she just saw some of the mistakes I made and didn't want to make them.   So leading by bad example?   LOL
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    Lol, sometimes kids learning from the mistakes of others works really well.  Lord knows I have made quite a few in my life.  And still due make mistakes.  

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    Lol, sometimes kids learning from the mistakes of others works really well.  Lord knows I have made quite a few in my life.  And still due make mistakes.  
    Luckily Tarp didn’t see that.
    From a grammar correction perspective?  Or from he doesn't make mistakes perspective?  

-Walter Payton
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,038 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    From a grammar correction perspective?  Or from he doesn't make mistakes perspective?  

Probably both. Dew, due, or do. You would be in deep doo doo with Tarp.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

edited March 2019 #50
    kellercl said:
    Yes. But not making mistakes is an old wives tale he started himself.
    He just wants to be paid his do's.

-Walter Payton
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,540 Admiral
    I saw that Keller.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,038 Admiral
    doo doo doo doo doo doo

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited March 2019 #54
    It's bad form to start a sentence with a preposition, Keller.

But sometimes I do it two.  

:)
    Lol, well played.

-Walter Payton
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,351 Admiral
    edited March 2019 #56
    There is personal credit score and business score. I'm glad I have the highest business score because when I need a new truck I am good to go. I would be sick if business credit was keeping me moving forward. Always need credit and finance every truck 100%  and take the deprecation. 

As far as home life no debt is king!
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,523 Admiral
    Just sold 3 houses and the business. Bought a house and land paid for. Credit score went up 26 points once the mortgage was off. I don’t know what it will do in the next few months. The only debt i have left is a small truck loan and a small tractor loan at good rates. 
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    I am the king of debt.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,930 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    I am the king of debt.
    Lol. I was wondering if I was the only one. Nothing wrong with properly leveraged debt.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,351 Admiral
    jcbcpa said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    I am the king of debt.
    Lol. I was wondering if I was the only one. Nothing wrong with properly leveraged debt.
    Unless it is the wife going hog wild with the credit card.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,250 Captain
    jcbcpa said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    I am the king of debt.
    There is nothing wrong with it other than interest payments. Personally I prefer not owing anyone anything.