Best Tarpon Rod

Ethan2101Ethan2101 Evansville, IndianaPosts: 1 Greenhorn
Does anyone have any recommendations on the best tarpon spinning rod. I would match it up with my Van Staal Vs-x 200 reel. Normally fishing of the piers at Destin and Panama Also if you have any recommendations on someone who makes custom tarpon rods that would be great to

Replies

• Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    If your gonna spend money on a staal it’s only right to get a custom 8’6 or 9ft rod
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,938 Captain
    And if you're gonna go custom, Matt Sewell out of Cape Coral make a helluva nice rod.  
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,419 Moderator
    Off the rack tarpon rods are, in no specific order are the Shimano Terramar 8'XH TMSX80XH  , the Loomis Pro Blue 8' PBR963S and the Daiwa Saltist inshore 8' XH STIN80HXS   Probably teh most popular is the Terramar

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,289 Captain
    If your gonna spend money on a staal it’s only right to get a custom 8’6 or 9ft rod
     If you were my friend I'd try to talk you out of it. And I'm a rod builder. For the type of fishing you're talking about, a no fault warranty would be pretty important to me. Let's face it, if you're tarpon fishing from a pier you'll be surrounded by imbeciles. The 9' mh mojo surf from St. Croix is a good option, it's a 70/30 split 2pc, 5 year warranty, and you won't have to stab the guy who trips over it and breaks it.
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 91 Greenhorn
     If you were my friend I'd try to talk you out of it. And I'm a rod builder. For the type of fishing you're talking about, a no fault warranty would be pretty important to me. Let's face it, if you're tarpon fishing from a pier you'll be surrounded by imbeciles. The 9' mh mojo surf from St. Croix is a good option, it's a 70/30 split 2pc, 5 year warranty, and you won't have to stab the guy who trips over it and breaks it.
    You are right and I know its stupid but personally id send it and get a custom. Also is it really pier fishing if you don't get into an altercation with some pier rats?
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,289 Captain
    You are right and I know its stupid but personally id send it and get a custom. Also is it really pier fishing if you don't get into an altercation with some pier rats?
      I didn't say it was stupid, just that I'd try to talk you out of it. Questionable decisions keep life interesting. I have a good friend that makes 5000$ pocket knives for a living, he has customers that use them for box cutters. 5000$ heirloom quality box cutter. A 900$ pier rod isn't that weird.