Mackerel running yet?

I'm seeing reports of Kings being caught but I'm looking for some near shore action while the boat is under repair. Anything around Honeymoon island to Ft. Desoto?

Replies

• SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    edited March 15 #2
    Caught some Spanish last week right out of Pass a Grille.  They were also smashing bait around the gulf Fort Desoto pier if you’re on foot

Had good luck tossing a Gotcha plug.

Everglades 243
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,419 Moderator
    Caught a bunch off  spanish up around Anclote several weeks ago. 
  • BottomFedBottomFed Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Wacky warm winter. They're early this year.  Usually it's when the cedar trees have the new sprigs on them.  Mine are just starting.  Guess I missed out the last few weeks.
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,410 Captain
    Caught some Spanish last week right out of Pass a Grille.  They were also smashing bait around the gulf Fort Desoto pier if you’re on foot

Had good luck tossing a Gotcha plug.

Thanks. I was thinking of hitting that pier on Pass-A Grille. Lots of bait can form up there. If so I might also want to catch some bait and store it in the freezer for chum later this summer. Trying to lose weight and mackerel is good way to do it with healthy oils. I wonder if there are any up in North Tampa Bay by the CCC bridge yet. Last time I was catching them there, they were huge.