Venice in May

Hello. First time posting on here. My wife and I will be staying in Venice, near the south Jetty in May. Lord willing, we hope to get plenty of fishing in. Are there any nearshore and offshore charters/Captains that you recommend? On days we don't use a charter, are their any opportunities for beach/pier/jetty fishing in that area for that time of year? Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Replies

• TermiteTermite Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Fishing opportunities everywhere!! I'm from Michigan and go to Venice almost every year. I'll be there in a few weeks and I'll let you know what was working for me. I fish the jetties, the beach, Sharkies pier and beach, Casperson's beach and the ICW. As the water warms you should do a little better, I fish a lot from shore so hopefully, I can give you some intel. Are you going to be able to take any tackle with you? 
  • OHanglerOHangler Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks Termite, I wasn't sure about the fishing in that area-so your response is very encouraging! Yes, I will have tackle and medium action St Croix 6' rod. We will be there, early to mid May. What species do you find along the beach, pier and jetties? 
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,167 Captain
    Tarpon, snook, tarpon, jacks, tarpon, mackerel, tarpon and tarponssss!

Sharks too if you want.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    I've never caught a tarpon, but I have caught ladyfish, bluefish, jack crevalle, flounder, snook, trout, redfish, seabass, snapper, sheepshead and a few other creepy things that I wasn't sure what they were ;)

Kmagnuss, what would be the best way to target tarpon from shore? I have access to a boat but it's hit and miss as to whether it's running or not so I always plan for shore fishing. 
    Tarpon from shore is doable but pretty difficult.  You need to get your baits out past the sand bar.  A kayak would make it much easier.  If you have to be shorebound I'd try getting out to the very end of the Venice Jetty and tossing out a cut mullet or ladyfish as far as you can... preferably at night.  Use a set up that will hold a minimum of 300 yards of line, 500 would be better.  Sit back, take a nap, and wait for the clicker to go off.

-Mag

All of these were taken in Venice except the puffer, he was caught on the east side.
    Mag, thanks for the tips. I'm planning on fishing the surf at night quite a bit this year. Would it be better to fish off Sharkies pier to try for a tarpon? Second thought, I'm sure that the pilings would be a problem and landing it would be impossible. 
    I'm sure that getting a bait out in range of a tarpon would be easier at Sharkys but man I have no idea how you'd ever get it to shore to get the hook out.  Maybe if you used really heavy line and leader but a thin wire hook you could straighten the hook when you got it to the pier but I don't really love that idea for the fish's sake.  I've never caught a tarpon from shore except for land locked juvis and juvis from the dock by my house so I really don't know how the logistics would work out on an adult.  It's crazy enough on a boat... I can't imagine trying to do it on a busy pier 30' up in the air.
    Yeah, I pretty much dropped the idea as I was typing it...LOL. It's funny how something pops up in my head and sounds great then when I actually say it (or type it) it sounds so stupid ;) 
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 116 Deckhand
    Ive hooked multiple tarpon from land above 100 pounds but yet to land one since every time ive hooked one that big its been on a 4k or 5k size reel in structure. I do think if I wanted to actually chase big tarpon ( which I do but always change plans for snook ) Id... 
    1. use artificial but artificial at night has a sharp learning curve should I say?
    2. Drop a 12 inch or 16 inch ladyfish/mullet as far as I can put it and chill but don't be deadset on putting your bait far out make sure to observe the water and structure/current depending on the spot

I hooked all my big tarpon on accident snook fishing but i'm confident I could get it done on purpose but id listen to whatever Kmagnuss says instead of my rambling.

I hooked all my big tarpon on accident snook fishing but i'm confident I could get it done on purpose but id listen to whatever Kmagnuss says instead of my rambling.
    Diego,
      Thanks for the tips, I solved my tarpon problem by booking with Capt. Mag and I will continue to concentrate on snook for the rest of my trip. 

OHangler, 
      I pm'd you, if you like I have an excel file I keep my saltwater shopping list on I can email you. Not necessary but over the last 10 years or so having to travel light I have things narrowed down a bit.
  • OHanglerOHangler Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate your help.
  • frankiezfrankiez Posts: 394 Deckhand
    edited May 15 #14
    Joe Miller (Fishgaloreoffshore.com)  or Bob Breton (https://www.flafishingcharter.com) are 2 of the top guys I recommend for offshore. They both will put you on the fish. Never been disappointed with either of them.