First Slam in A While

Got a late start today, but got to my spot on the SS around 2:10pm. A few boats around so I headed south. Water temp was 78-80 degrees. Incoming tide till 5ish and still kind of low. Wind out of the WSW and nice given it was kind of warm. Floating grass is already becoming somewhat problematic. Fished the 3" RT mullet in shadflash shad all day, except for a number of casts with a Whopper Plopper 110 in bone. I did have one red follow the WP, but turned away at the boat. Hooked up with my first fish, a small snook, at 2:30pm. Nine minutes later another one. Decent 23.5" snook at 2:44pm. Fifteen minutes later another small snook. His brother at 3:04pm. A bit of a lull in which I tried to lift a rat red into the boat, but he got off. Struggling a bit, but finally got back on the small snook train at 3:46pm. All these small snook are around 18-21".
Another small snook at 4:01pm. Went down in size to a snooklet at 4:08pm. Another snooklet at 4:29pm. Water looked good here with a bit of a stain. A fat healthy snook of about 21" at 4:33pm. Next cast a snooklet. Another dink at 4:43pm. Paralleling the mangroves with a little bit of shade. Felt a subtle tick and set the hook at 4:50pm. The fish was running at the boat. Reeling fast to catch up. Not sure whether she was big or not so I loosened my drag. The fish took off for open water and was peeling drag. This fish had some weight. I turned on the tm to follow her. She didn't jump so I was thinking redfish. She rolled near the surface and I saw a glint of copper and the white of her belly. It was a red, but still couldn't gauge the size. She made a very long run back for the mangroves. I jumped to the back of the boat and tightened my drag. Kept her about 10 feet short. Now floating grass is bunching up on my line and obstructing my view of the fish. My rod tip is bouncing from the violent head shakes. She comes back towards me and it is a tug of war for at least a minute. She peels drag and I reel it back in. I am just holding on now trying to tire her out and hoping she doesn't come unbuttoned. Finally, she is closer and I get a good look. It is a big red. She dives under and around the boat. Finally, she surfaces and the grass slides down the line onto her head. Another couple of mini-runs and I grab the net. Reaching, reaching and finally I am able to slip the net under her. I was spent.
She is a tank! She comes in at 31 3/4" and weighs 11pounds. She kicked hard when I put her back in the water and swam off in good shape. The fish gods must have said ok, that is enough for you right now cause I didn't catch another fish, a snooklet, until almost an hour later at 5:46pm. Three minutes later a rat red on a point. Seven minutes later another small snook. Had a nice bycatch of a small flounder at 5:57pm. Six minutes later I was shocked to hook into an 18.5" trout to complete my slam. Another snooklet at 6:09pm. Another one 4 minutes later. Another lull before I caught another small snook at 6:50pm. Another at 6:58pm. Snooklet at 7:04pm. Another at 7:22pm. Finished with the WP, but no joy. I headed for the ramp. It was a great afternoon on the bay.
Snook - 20 (23.5", 10 smalls and 9 snooklets)
Reds - 2 (31.75" and a a rat)
Trout - 1 (18.5")
Flounder - 1 small one
Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release

Replies

• fishonfishon Posts: 961 Officer
    Nice report. I’ve been gone a while.  Bass Fishin lately. Nice to see your still catching and postin! Thanks Tomm
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 275 Deckhand
    Great report and awesome Red!
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,271 Officer
    Thanks guys!
  • ez3puttez3putt Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Great report Dave.  I just spent the last two days with out of state guests a little further south.  Worst two days fishing in years.  Congrats on the slam.  Surprised you even acknowledged the trout...oh yeah, you needed it for the slam.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,991 Captain
    Well done sir! Awesome fishing for sure! 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 194 Deckhand
    Beautiful Red there Dave!  Awesome story as usual!  Company coming in on Thursday, but I will get a couple hours on the water tomorrow morning.

Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • MBC223MBC223 Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 22 Greenhorn
    That is a great red.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,332 Captain
    Wonderful!  Great picture.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,271 Officer
    Thank you gentlemen! She was a beauty.