Sarasota Bay

Any folks fished Sarasota Bay recently ? My wife and I are decent trout fisherman , we fished out usual spots last Friday in Sarasota Bay and did not get the first bite , did not see any bait fish in the bay . Tide was rather static but it seems Sarasota Bay is still suffering from fish kills of red tide .

hope someone has better updates . 

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 680 Officer
    I was there a week after Christmas. It was a dead zone. Even most of the grass was dead. I think it's going to take a while for it to recover. 
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 245 Deckhand
    There's fish around but It needs to warm up a bit more and needs some more bait fish to show up. 
  • idlerickidlerick Posts: 229 Deckhand
    I had the same experience a few weeks ago. Zero strikes in areas I usually catch 20-50 fish in a day. Not even a ladyfish or a mackerel. No cormorants, no pelicans, no dolphins (normally I'd celebrate that, but in this case they knew more than I did). Complete dearth of bait fish and crabs.
    I did see a couple of dolphins off the Ringling wall on Monday, so maybe that's an encouraging sign. But I'm afraid it'll be a few years before we're back to normal on trout and other flats fish.
    :)
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Not sure where you guys are looking but I ran out of New Pass Sunday last weekend and it was more stacked with bait than I have seen in a very long time. Along with dolphins, birds crushing bait etc. 
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 723 Officer
    jbsrq said:
    Not sure where you guys are looking but I ran out of New Pass Sunday last weekend and it was more stacked with bait than I have seen in a very long time. Along with dolphins, birds crushing bait etc. 
    I think offshore vrs inshore is the difference here...

Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke - Skini Rennie
    RennieRae said:
    jbsrq said:
    I think offshore vrs inshore is the difference here...

Do ya think?? Your exactly right.
    It's going to take a long time with dead Sea grass.
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 245 Deckhand
    I fished the beach yesterday and remembered why I hate fishing with bait...catfish catfish catfish. Got spined good in my hand for good measure (forgot how uncomfortable it it). I know sheepshead have been around but they weren't around yesterday.
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 213 Deckhand
    I'm not talking about offshore. Literally all around the New Pass bridge was completely stacked with bait/dolphins/birds etc. Hell the docks off New Pass Grill and Salty dog were holding tons of bait 
  • FlatsWreckedFlatsWrecked Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Thanks for feedback , I will try the flats and potholes near New Pass .