Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Take a soldier fishing

does anyone have info regarding programs for captains to take soldiers/vets fishing? Trying to volunteer to do this out of POI but not getting any response. 

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 889 Officer
       This is one of those great sounding programs that has/have
    some flaws.They raised large sums of money,but
    when you ask where the money went you get a blank stare.If
    you wish to donate money and ask for a financial statement,good
    luck in that request.
       This was started by a former Collier Co.sheriff and wife.They
    did so well,they didn't need that job anymore.
  • Paucan6005Paucan6005 Port of the islandsPosts: 95 Deckhand
    Thanks. Ya not donating money but would donate fishing trips.

• Joe SnookJoe Snook Posts: 468 Deckhand
    Paul, its tough to get into you fish the soldiers for ione day thats all you have to donate. Not sure about the finances associated with it but i do know they put up 160 soldiers at the Ritz, Naples beach hotel and various other High end resorts
    southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com
  • Paucan6005Paucan6005 Port of the islandsPosts: 95 Deckhand
    Thanks Joe. Ya trying to do what I can and give back a little but it’s not happening. But maybe if they do a big event with lots of captains.i can pitch in... hey a vet with a vet has to be a solid day right? 
    edited April 2019 #6
    they have over 60 captains right now and a captains waiting list to get in to bring soldiers out. you can get yourself on the list i'm sure. im not speaking on their behalf this is just how i understood it when they bring it up. contact them
       5 or so years ago i saw the event going on in goodland when it was really small and kept trying to get ahold of someone and finally did then that year they called me to have me put soldiers on my boat. it has blown up to incredible proportions since then 
    southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com
  • ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Paducan, take a look at freedom fighters outdoors. Theres a contact number on there for Capt Vinnie.  He`s a great guy that might be able to help you out. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 3,050 Captain
    Why do you need a event? Just look around, I'm sure you can find a vet who would love to spend a day on the water.

i would imagine that all you have to do is look up the tax records if youre concerned about where the money goes but i would suggest going to the event, the whole event from day one and its pretty obvious that what they do for the troops takes a whole lot of money to make this event happen. Not to mention all the time it takes to put it all together, I really hope they do make some money from putting it on i would say they have earned it 100 percent! i would guess anyone that actually has an issue with this organization has never been a part of it in the later years and see how much good it does for our soldiers and would agree that the soldiers want for nothing nor would someone taking a salary make this event any less  spectacular.  like i said before i know nothing about the finances and couldnt care less all i see is an event for our troops that is bigger and better than any other ive ever seen. 140 troops all put up in the best resorts in town for the weekend, free booze and food all weekend and a day out on the water with some of the best guides in the county. I encourage anyone who can do it bigger and better then go ahead and do it, go ahead paul is here anxious to donate his time so youre off to a great start. if not maybe you can just help support what is already in place