A little help!

BmikeBmike Miami Lakes Florida Posts: 6 Greenhorn
Hi guys and girls any suggestions on places to take my recent project 16ft Jon boat. (Fresh or saltwater) 

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,377 Admiral
    I'd put a prop on it first..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • BmikeBmike Miami Lakes Florida Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Lol!
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,045 Officer
    holiday park
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,140 Captain
    That’s a perfect rig for sheltered waters anywhere from fresh to salt waters.  Run out of water - jump out, lift up the bow a bit and drag it back to where you’re floating again...

If you want to fish the shallow waters around Flamingo... you’re going to need a pushpole.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Thanks that’s what I had in mind.
    A 16' jonboat - rigged with casting platforms like yours is a great first skiff for Flamingo (most that I knew powered them with a 40hp motor...).  If you do get that pushpole... you don't need a poling platform at all (unless you just have to have one...).  A solid, sturdy cooler (Yeti, Engel, etc) in the 60qt size makes a great poling platform, mounted and secured just in front of your motor....

My first serious fishing skiff was a 16' aluminum Starcraft (all those years ago).  It never had a poling platform - just a cooler to stand on, when needed.  We fished it everywhere from Palm Beach to Key West (and only had to put it back together three times...). I was hard on skiffs all those years ago - but I was also a lot younger then...

Look around a bit and consider joining a fishing club near you.  It's a great way to hook up with other guys - who fish everywhere... The one I was with from 1976 to about 1982 was the Tropical Anglers Club (and they're still around...).  Much of what I do as a full-time guide was learned with them...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • rule303rule303 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Could be a bumpy wet ride back to the ramp on saltwater. I would try the numerous canals first...

Good luck!
  • Grumpy?Grumpy? Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    I recommend key largo.
    Blackwater Sound and little black water sound.
    Use the boat ramp at Caribbean Club 10 bucks.
    Look at a chart you can get into North Nest Key and ENP. I had a 12 ft. Aluminum boat for years and enjoyed doing that
    Thanks that sounds good.
    I will be testing the boat next week for stability and power I think it may be way under powered but at the same time I was concerned about the weight. I wanted to keep it as light as possible. The deck is all framed out with aluminum and 1/2” plywood treated with fiberglass to protect from the elements. I will post the results of the testing.
    edited March 10 #12
    You'll find it's definitely under powered - on the plus side an under-powered jon boat means a much longer lasting hull...
    Running hard in a "tin boat" means lots of hull slap - which directly translates to metal fatigue (and the resulting cracks... in the aluminum panels). 

If I ever went down the aluminum hull road again - it would be an all welded (no rivets ever...) hull with a bit of thickness in the aluminum skin (instead of the commonly used .080 skin it would be a minimum of .100 skin or better the way hard used commercial aluminum boats are set up...)

With my old 16' riveted hull Starcraft we had to re-build it three times in 8 years (but i swear, I was younger then...).  We sure caught a ton of fish with it between 1976 and 1982,   Here's a pic from that era with a very nice bonefish (11lbs on only six pound line at Key Biscayne).

Aren't boats fun?
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 704 Officer
    Big or small we can break them all. They sure are fun to run - though.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,419 Moderator
    edited March 10 #14
    One bit of caution, if you are in Flamingo, DO NOT DO, AS BOB SUGGESTS, JUMP OUT TO MOVE YOUR BOAT OR YOU WILL BE UP TO YOUR CROTCH IN MUD.
    A push pole is well worth the investment.  No need for a carbon fiber pole, a fiberglass pole will do.  Get at least an 18' or 20' pole
    You're right Jack -- it's been so long since I poled around in Florida Bay that I forgot to mention that small problem... Lots and lots of places in the interior and along the Gulf coast where you really can jump out and get un-stuck... Particularly over towards Chokoloskee (where I've been out of my skiff pushing hard -on a falling tide, of course on more than one occasion....). Thank heavens it's mostly Florida Bay where you step out into three to four feet of mud (with all kinds of nasty sharp bits of shell to remind you how much you never want to do that again....).  My baptism in that area was around 1974 if I remember correctly - the mud actually almost claimed one of my shoes that day.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • stebfishstebfish Posts: 163 Deckhand
    Ran a 12' john boat with a 15 hp merc at Flamingo for years. Ran it all the way out to Shark River several times. Had an oblong live well and cooler that both went gunnel to gunnel. ran out of gas once. never go more than half a tank from the boat ramp! caught a ton of fish in that thing. It would fly with just me in it. Caved the hull in and opened an 18" gash in the bottom coming back across a  Florida Bay chop one afternoon. came in the marina wide open at 4 pm. Everybody screaming for me to slow down. Ran it up on the boat ramp wide open! That was all she wrote!
  • ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 101 Deckhand
    Bob, did you guide Tom Selleck to that 11lb bonefish???
    Now you're getting personal... in fact I haven't been able to grow either mustache or sideburns in about 20 years now... My first skin doctor took care of that.  As you can see from that old photo we were pretty casual about the sun all those years ago... Nowadays I'm scheduled to see the dermatologist every six months.  You don't want to know how many I've known that were taken down by melanoma over the years...

These days I'm covered up like a desert raider out on the water - and in long sleeve shirts, long pants, gloves,  and full face covering - even in the middle of August...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • JWTJWT Posts: 460 Deckhand
    edited March 12 #19
    You'll find it's definitely under powered - on the plus side an under-powered jon boat means a much longer lasting hull...
    Running hard in a "tin boat" means lots of hull slap - which directly translates to metal fatigue (and the resulting cracks... in the aluminum panels). 

If I ever went down the aluminum hull road again - it would be an all welded (no rivets ever...) hull with a bit of thickness in the aluminum skin (instead of the commonly used .080 skin it would be a minimum of .100 skin or better the way hard used commercial aluminum boats are set up...)

With my old 16' riveted hull Starcraft we had to re-build it three times in 8 years (but i swear, I was younger then...).  We sure caught a ton of fish with it between 1976 and 1982,   Here's a pic from that era with a very nice bonefish (11lbs on only six pound line at Key Biscayne).

Aren't boats fun?

we also had one during the same time period, it was the 18. we had to rebuild it a couple times. replacing the floor & re-setting rivets. bucking rivets inside the hull with a pneumatic hammer on the outside will make you lose your hearing! that boat is still going strong in Kodiak Alaska............... welded hulls are definitely the way to go tho! 
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 455 Deckhand

My 16 starcraft. Completely redone 2018. I've seen or heard of another one till now
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,419 Moderator
    edited March 14 #22
    My first boat in Fla was an 18' Aluminum Starcraft, center console that went everywhere from the Islamorada Hump to Key West, and  the Marquesas, to the Flamingo flats.  High enough gunnels to brave the ocean, yet light enough to pole Snake Bight.  Poled it from the bow.
    Sweet
  • flatsrangerflatsranger Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    I'd put in one of the many Miami canals... Ie: Snapper Creek or Blue lagoon and bring a bucket of wild shiners... plenty of Peacock action right now. 
  • Grumpy?Grumpy? Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Check out Alan Jackson. 
    Little Bitty.
    Big boats big egos.
    Zero fun