Mosquito Lagoon Advice

Hello everyone, I am a new member here. I will be going to New Smyrna beach next week and I am looking for advice on catching redfish. What rigs should I throw? Where in the lagoon should I be fishing? I fish from a kayak with predominately spinning gear. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,657 Admiral
    throw topwaters early then switch to flukes or paddletails when the sun comes up.   shrimp under a popping cork will work for trout if the reds aren't biting.   you can often see reds tailing but if you get close they'll spook.   fish dropoffs and cuts if you can find them and be patient and quiet on the paddle. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • byrnesm1byrnesm1 IndianaPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Soda Popinski, thanks for the tips!
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 823 Officer
    I second what he said. Watch for big black drum as well. This time of year they like to cruise the flats in large schools. One second there wont be anything and the next there will be black tails popping up all around you. Ive caught these guys on artificials but generally they are scavengers have some crab, cut mullet, or publix ready to go. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • sp00n-sp00n- Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    I second what he said. Watch for big black drum as well. This time of year they like to cruise the flats in large schools. One second there wont be anything and the next there will be black tails popping up all around you. Ive caught these guys on artificials but generally they are scavengers have some crab, cut mullet, or publix ready to go. 
    They like Publix subs too?!
    sp00n- said:
    They like Publix subs too?!
    I typed publix shrimp, I wonder why it didnt go in there lol. But I mean, who in the SE doesnt enjoy a nice fat publix sub...
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • zamogzamog Posts: 302 Deckhand
    lagoon is dead 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,537 AG
    zamog said:
    lagoon is dead 
    well....very ill anyway...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • CharlotteCharlotte Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    If the lagoon is so dead why are there a million boats out there fishing every weekend???
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,383 Captain
    edited March 21 #10
    Bc they like to go fishing lol millions of boats out there fishing, not much catching. For the amount of boats out there you would think they would catch more fish. A lot of people wont drive over an hour to fish a perfectly thriving ecosystem and just keep fishing the south ML and north IRL. I find it funny when people act like the fishing is even below average in that area. It's been awful for many years....sad state to see what has become. Used to be 6-7 ft crystal clear grass flats and now you cant see your toes in 6inches of water. Was nothing to catch loads of fish or see multiple schools of hundreds of reds in one morning. Go north or west for better fishing and less tourists.

My buddy from New York said hes heard mosquito lagoon is amazing fishing and one of the best in Florida lol the reputation from 20 years and more ago is what still sucks people over and the fact many people dont like to admit their home waters are a cesspool. I used to limit out on trout and redfish from the canals in the area, now can barely catch a pinfish.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,657 Admiral
    i don't think it's completely dead, but I stopped fishing it 4 years ago.   So did a buddy of mine who fished it for 40 years.  For me it's easier and quicker to go out to the west coast.   Especially if i'm not catching fish. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Its not completely dead yet, but it will be very soon if we dont all start doing something. I know I didnt get to see it at its prime like yall did but I know that its gone down hill from even when I started fishing it which was about 15 years ago. Its really sad to watch. When I do fish it I never keep anything I catch because I feel bad for taking the fish because of the shape the lagoon is in. 
    Several years back...when it first started to tank down by me...I noticed that the old retired guys who just like to fight fish...switched over to bass fishing. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    The mosquito lagoon, looking at the map  - is huge. Are there some parts that are better, fishing-wise? Where would you go to try, if you DID have to fish it?
    edited March 25 #15
    Wherever the water is not dark brown, milky, soupy, filled with manatee saliva floating at the surface. In all honesty, it's a colossal waste of time in the south lagoon
    In a month, we are going to be up in the more northern part, Three Sisters Island/Bottle Island area for a long weekend, kayak fishing. I hope that isn't so far south that it is a waste of time.
    Well considering that is the very northern end it shouldn't be so bad 
  • bustinbustin Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    I was born and raised in Central FL and am 54 now, have fished the lagoon from the Tail to Brown's Bay since I was a little kid. Went to South FL to become a Captain in '80's and came back to Central FL in mid '90's. It wasn't looking too good then, but still managed to find some good fish.

So, last weekend my wife and I took our high school aged daughter with her friends over to NSB. Wind was a bit too cold for she and I to sit on beach. We decided to head down to JB's and rent a kayak and a paddleboard.  We paddled North of JB's. I had heard about the decline of the lagoon, but saw it first hand that day. Oyster beds all dead, only grass was that red algae moss. Literally saw only a handful of mullet. Water was murky green and could not see bottom until less than a foot at best.

We have not learned as I saw well manicured St Augustine lawns right up to the edge of the water and new big homes going in and mangroves being cut for new docks.
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    There there still fish there if you know where to find them. But over the years it has most definitely taken a turn for the worse. Just an FYI, when the IFA tour comes through there this year....you’ll see almost every team weighing fat reds....so it’s not all gloom and doom.
    Flounderman is correct.....

It is the same down here in the middle Indian River. There are still some nice fish around. Just less of them and more spread out.
    The days of 30 - 40 - 50 trout a man are gone down here....and will not be back until the grass returns..if ever. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • questianquestian FLPosts: 28 Greenhorn
    Is there any seagrass in Ft. Pierce? Where's it start at going south?
  • bustinbustin Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    Bynesm1, those last posts are totally correct. Sorry, my post was probably too gloom and doom - these guys on this forum are good fishermen and they tell it the way it is. Given the rare opportunity I find to fish these days, I am either offshore or around the inlet. These guys know the lagoon and Indian River better than I do. You can find fish, listen to these guys and apply the fishing skills you already have. As your post was a long time ago, I hope you did well and enjoyed being out on the water!