Home Off Topic

MOVING..

Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,302 Admiral
 To my Retirement house in far North Florida. It's smaller than my current home and I'm trying to downsize , get rid of the junk from 30 years in my current home.
The Bride won't throw away anything..nothing.

Flower vases , Clothes she never wears , old shoes. pots and pans that have been sitting in the cabinets for years . 
We have 15 Coffee cups...there's 2 of us..

Last time she left town I cleaned out a lot of stuff , She was not happy.
Why do some folks think if every cabinet is not Slap full  we need more stuff.

Think I'm gonna haul it all up there and put it in her room...
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• dave44dave44 Posts: 10,091 AG
     To my Retirement house in far North Florida. It's smaller than my current home and I'm trying to downsize , get rid of the junk from 30 years in my current home.
    The Bride won't throw away anything..nothing.

Flower vases , Clothes she never wears , old shoes. pots and pans that have been sitting in the cabinets for years . 
    We have 15 Coffee cups...there's 2 of us..

Last time she left town I cleaned out a lot of stuff , She was not happy.
    Why do some folks think if every cabinet is not Slap full  we need more stuff.

Think I'm gonna haul it all up there and put it in her room...
    Good thing she has her own room to put it in. 😂
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,698 AG
    Tread lightly, think about the consequences.  If it keeps her happy, no real harm in having some extra stuff (junk) around.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,725 Admiral
    I agree with all of the vases and cups and stuff but on the other hand, my wife wanted me to throw out my table saw and a bunch of other tools and stuff that she says I hardly ever use. You gotta just roll with it to keep mama happy. 
    If you really don't want it, you could box all of the glassware together and during the loading process, accidently trip and drop the box breaking much of it. Chit happens and hopefully she will understand. Probably not though.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    You don't own your stuff, your stuff owns you. You only have so many cubic feet in your home, what's the benefit of filling it up with junk?

It took a while, but Mrs. Twisted has seen the light and now loves that we don't have any clutter.

Image result for does it bring you joy

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,302 Admiral
    I'm not putting my Table Saw in the freakin Dining Room..
    My stuff pretty much lives in my Shop or on the back porch..not the Closets and Bathrooms.
    Look at all the room in this Bedroom...Let's pile it up and walk around stuff we never use.
     Cabinets , Let's fill them up with Martha Seward cookbooks and Wine  glasses that say 2002 ..Yea I care about that.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,354 Officer
    I am going through the same exact situation as we speak and momma is gonna deliver our second child soon, so I have nesting and not wanting to part with anything too. I can't explain it, I just keep packing and carrying.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,654 Captain
    Listen to conchy then suffer..
    Or just do exactly what she wants, the way she wants, then suffer.
    You choose.
    I prefer the accidental accident myself. You will still pay but I always get just a little satisfaction out of Breaking something.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,077 Admiral
    Stand up for your self and put your foot down, throw that crap out, or has your man card been revoked?
    who wears the pants around there anyway?

• FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    Hold on to it. I might buy some of it from you when I marry my lady friend and we get a place.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    edited March 2019 #11
    One of my current issues is the Gal I'm buying the place from is a Knic Knac fool. There are 3 miniature Christmas trees in the house now. Big Bunny Rabbit dolls standing 3 ft. high in the Dining room. 
    Christmas Wreaths on every door .Special Plate collections hanging on walls and filling up the Kitchen...Not a flat spot without some crap on it. Wind Chimes , 5 on the front porch alone ,2 on the back.
    She's leaving it all behind...Thanks :#
    All new. She must have spent Thousands.
    It's like Crack, We Need some more Stuff....
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    People visit and comment that our house looks like a model home, they don't think it a compliment, but I do.

Her walk in closet, she can do as she likes, though I notice she's not letting it get too cluttered.

As far as tools, everything organized on peg board or tool cabinet, gave away duplicates.

Though I did try to tell the Mrs. that she can buy as many shoes as she likes, just throw away a pair every time she brings a new one in. I thought it was a workable system 'till I looked in her trunk.  

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,129 Captain
    Sadly, 1or2 boxes fell off the moving truck...

but, it sounds like your wife will just purchase more stuff..  

Relax and just go with it 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,725 Admiral
    One of my current issues is the Gal I'm buying the place from is a Knic Knac fool. There are 3 miniature Christmas trees in the house now. Big Bunny Rabbit dolls standing 3 ft. high in the Dining room. 
    Christmas Wreaths on every door .Special Plate collections hanging on walls and filling up the Kitchen...Not a flat spot without some crap on it. Wind Chimes , 5 on the front porch alone ,2 on the back.
    She's leaving it all behind...Thanks :#
    All new. She must have spent Thousands.
    It's like Crack, We Need some more Stuff....

Maybe you can offer  to teach her to shoot. Imagine the fun you can have plinking all of those plates and knic knacs.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Gary SGary S Posts: 1,808 Captain
    You might want to check out eBay. Some of those ceramic christmas trees are sought after. Maybe  even a big bunny. Teach the wife a new hobby and she might become a eBay queen.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I remember at one point thinking we needed two houses; one for her and one for me! She Mari Kondos now and I just keep my mouth shut. Leave my stuff alone and I leave your stuff alone. It's working! Don't sweat the small stuff. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,226 Admiral
    Call that show Hoarders.  Make some money off of it at least. 
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 8,786 Admiral
    I love hoarders.  

They are my favorite renters.  I get money in the mail from them every month.

generic photo … not the ones I own

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • tagtag Posts: 8,859 Admiral
    I started dejunking my house by first getting rid of the wife. 
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,789 Captain
    edited March 2019 #21
    tag said:
    I started dejunking my house by first getting rid of the wife. 
    That's kinda what happened to me, except for wife kept the house and most of my stuff. 
    I did get my boat though.

I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 5,615 Admiral
    edited March 2019 #22
    You got to ask yourself....."is it worth it?".
    If the answer is yes. Then forget about it....No......really  ...let it go.
    But .....if it troubles you that much....then push the envelope and see what she does. You're actually doing her a favor....saving her from herself.

The worst thing you can do is let it bug you.....resentment will make the rest of your life miserable.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    Man yall have such high regards for marriage...I cant wait...
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 1,808 Captain
    Just so you know Matt, marriage is leading cause of divorce.
    Now She wants me to dig up the Freaking Banana Trees and load up the 8 foot around Staghorn Fern. 
    They'll look good in the front yard you know.
    Never mind it's the Big Bend and it Freezes in Winter.
    You can wrap them in Blankets when it's real cold.
    Yea Sure...
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,077 Admiral
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 5,615 Admiral
    edited March 2019 #28
    Now She wants me to dig up the Freaking Banana Trees and load up the 8 foot around Staghorn Fern. 
    They'll look good in the front yard you know.
    Never mind it's the Big Bend and it Freezes in Winter.
    You can wrap them in Blankets when it's real cold.
    Yea Sure...
    Sell the staghorn and tell her you moved it.
    If she asks about it, tell her it was stolen and we should have sold it when we had the chance.
    I'm thinkin it's worth a few hundred....

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,831 AG
    Just moved into a house we built. 25 years together. I took 5 full truck loads to the children's lighthouse and 4 loads to the dump. Gotta clean up and get rid of things. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 6,835 Admiral
    I heard Busch Gardens buys the staghorns $500.  Don't know if it's true.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,138 AG
    TRT, your wife and mine could be twins.
    EVERY spot must have something in it, on it, covering it.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.