Help, Shore Fishing Spots in New Smyrna Beach and Mosquito Lagoon, NEW to Fishing.

PaneraiLoverPaneraiLover New Smyrna Beach, FLPosts: 2 Greenhorn
Hello everyone,
I am pretty new to Bass and Saltwater fishing. I grew up fishing perch and pike in freshwater when I was little with barber or of the boat with my grandfather and then just gave up fishing as I got older.

Then a friend of mine send me some YouTube videos of Bass fishing in FL and I got a excited to try myself as I live on a large men-made FL lake in my development here in New Smyrna beach that is full of bass I heard. I bought a Shimano 2500 Sienna reel for $30 and Berkley Cherrywood HD 6'6 M rod for $25 on Amazon and caught a 17" bass with first cast on Texas rig with Zoom black with speckles warm, I was hooked. Spent months on and off watching and following some YouTube channels as to how to fish, lures, knots, rigs, bait, etc. While doing that I went out a few times to the real world and tried to fish St. John river canals in New Smyrna and Port Orange but no fish. We tried to go to popular parks with fishing ramps like Buena Vista Park by North Causeway, no fish. Riverside Park by South causeway, no fish for me there either. I did speak to people there fishing and they also had no luck there in general, some might say they caught 1 fish and that's it. Which was surprising to me in general. They did tell me they come here late nights, very early mornings and also catch on dead cut mullet or live shrimp with poor results. I also tried Swoop Site Boat ramp twice with also no luck, just a few bites by what seemed to be small blue on DOA fake shrim lure as half of lure was bitten off. My father in law caught tons of fish there same time 2 years ago and had no bites this time with me and he was very puzzled too.

I did catch 3 Blues 14-18" by NSB jetty on the North side of the jetty facing Ponce Inlet jetty with $30 walmart combo that I bought trying to surf fish, which was exciting as I caught them by the structure. Then we went a few times since in the morning 8 or 9am or so and caught no fish. I did see folks catch at the end of the jetty so maybe we did not cast far enough even with 10ft surf rod I since got as it was low tide. Not sure.. 

So after doing some reading on here and another forum I began to realize that there is just less fish in general compared how it used to be from all I read about red tide, green and blue algae and hurricane Irma affects in last 3 years. I read some people even given up going to Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon completely as water is brownish and not very clear. So is that what it is? Plus, with me I have no boat and can only do shore fishing, unless I can get my friend to go out on the boat and if so, would you suggest for us to go to ML north or Indian River North? Or don't bother? I was going to try shore fishing by Apollo Beach Ramp # 5 off of A1A as you can surf fish there and shore fish in the Lagoon. I was planning to get there 6:30am and through top water and jigs in the Lagoon and cut bate or Fishbites shrimp flavor on pompano rig or regular drop down rig with 3oz sinker with cut frozen mullet. 

I also was just suggested River Breeze Oak Hill peer to try which is very close to me for reds etc.. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Thank you. Great forum and full of info.

Replies

• MCDOOGLESMCDOOGLES Grand Rapids, MI / Saint John's, FLPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    I also grew up fishing freshwater fish.  I usually fish up closer to Ponte Vedra but make it down to NSB every now and then. I would start getting into surf fishing if I was you. To start you could just buy some pompano rigs from a local tackle shop. Tip them with a fishbite and shrimp, put on a 2 to 4 ounce pyramid sinker on. Cast it out and wait. There is obviously much more to it, but thats a good start. Once this water warms up a bit you should be catching fish.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    The fish are still out there... Don't fall into that mindset that's there are no fish... most of the people that tell you that werent catching much from the get go or werent telling you the truth...i for one won't tell a soul where i'm catching fish from shore...now my GF will tell everybody, even what bait we were using.. thats why i sneak out without her LOL  :*
    real fishing locals IMO won't say chit... but if you catch them on a good day and let them talk hell even offer them a cold soft drink or beer... then my friend you might get some real info and as far Youtube vidoes.. most of them are JUNK don't believe everything you see...Here's a tip> if lures or cut bait arent working, try fishing with live bait...shrimp/pinfish or any other bait fish you can catch on your own... also what type of rigs are you using.. if you are using store bought leaders..(wire) leave that crap at home and start making your own... forget all the metal hardware and do line to line knot when you can... or just one swivel>mono leader>hook...You might also want to start a fishing log..and write down a few things> Time of day>tides>location>baits/lures>Moon... fill it up with as much info as you can remember for that day and do it everytime you go fishing...(this will help you down road) go to some of your areas at low tide and look for holes and other things where fish might hold then fish them again during high tide...Put in your time in areas that hold fish..give an area a chance before quitting on it...and for godsakes don't fall for that BS ..."Well there were fish here yesterday... it's call Fishing for a reason... plenty of day's i went home without catching what i was after, but i target certain fish... as far as catching something.. hell you can get your rod bend anytime you go out there...oh and as far as people just catching fish at the end of the jetty...LOL.. most fish are right at the shoreline when you are fishing the beach... in fact most people try to cast too far you can catch croakers/whiting and even some big boys like snook and redfish a stone throw away from shore... and if you want to try for something to really pull your line... walk out there waist deep and cast out a chunk of cut bait and hold on... the Blacktips/bullreds should be around NSB
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • PaneraiLoverPaneraiLover New Smyrna Beach, FLPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    edited February 26 #4
    Thanks guys for the input. I make my own rigs and buy only well reviews lures in general. We went out Sat morning to the beach and were on the surf at 6:40am as sun was coming up. I rigged up a pompano rig with size 2 circle hooks and used Fishbites orange Shrimp flavor and threw spoons, top water poppers on the side with my other rod. Nothing. Maybe there was no fish on that spot, not sure.

We called it a day by 8:30 and left New Smyrna beach south to Carnival national Seashore, parking lot 7 where there is Fishing doc on the mangroves of the lagoons, 1st time there, beautiful place. There were a few folks on small boats and canoes and 1 was wade fishing. 1 said they caught 2 blues. They soon were gone as the wind picked up. I had a few bites which felt like small fish on my DOA fake shrimp lure but in general I did not see any fish in the water just manatees. Water was brown with very slight visibility. The pass was $15 and good until next Sat so we are going to try to get to this same spot at 6:30am and try again. If it will be slow we will drive to Ponce Inlet Jetty and try to fish there as the jetty has a peer on it and goes out pretty far vs NSB jetty that you have to climb rocks on.

Any thoughts?