Lane Snapper

So I was bottom fishing and caught what I thought was a red snapper...but wait has a black circle near the tail..and also has faint vertical silver and red stripes..maybe a lane but there is no yellow markings on the fish what so ever..so is it a lane or a red snapper?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• bluewater_feverbluewater_fever Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Sounds like a juvenile mutton. Did it look like this?
  • Jarhead JackJarhead Jack Posts: 42 Greenhorn

These are Lanes

Grady White Spirit 175
    115 Yamaha 4 stroke
  • GneFshnGneFshn Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Baby Mutton :smile:
    "Keep the faith. The most amazing things in life tend to happen right at that moment you are about to give up hope"
  • mako2567mako2567 Posts: 287 Deckhand
    Sounds like a juvenile mutton. Did it look like this?
    Nope..looked just like the lanes below without any yellow...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

These are Lanes
    Great batch of lanes...what I caught had zero yellow on it ..???..had the black circle just no yellow...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,440 Officer
    mako2567 said:
    So I was bottom fishing and caught what I thought was a red snapper...but wait has a black circle near the tail..and also has faint vertical silver and red stripes..maybe a lane but there is no yellow markings on the fish what so ever..so is it a lane or a red snapper?
    Red snapper........small ones have a spot that fades as the age.
    It is still visible as a "light spot" sometimes on some pretty large ones.  And red snapper sometimes show vertical "bars" or markings, even when huge.

Lane snapper have horizontal "bars" or stripes or markings.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

mako2567 said:
    Red snapper........small ones have a spot that fades as the age.
    It is still visible as a "light spot" sometimes on some pretty large ones.  And red snapper sometimes show vertical "bars" or markings, even when huge.

Lane snapper have horizontal "bars" or stripes or markings.

That is it...that's the fish..lol..I have caught Red snapper before and that's what I thought they where the black dot had me scratching my head a bit..I did also have a couple classic looking lanes, it was the red dot that got me..Thanks 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]