Home General Fishing

Grunts/Pinfish??

I’m in Pompano now, and headed out to the Jetty today like I normally do. Usually I am able to come out here and catch some Grunts(French and Bluestriped) for bait. Not a sign of any all day. Do they only hang around during certain seasons? Or maybe it was just bad day for them.

And if that doesn’t work out do you guys think it is possible for me catch any Pinfish in this area. I’m not really sure where to find them, since I’ve never caught any off of the Jetty before.

Thankyou

Replies

• eggystareggystar Posts: 84 Deckhand
    no season for grunt that i am aware of.Probably the tide.I would not concentrate on pinfish in broward county you would be better off trying to catch mojorra try a number 4 sabiki with pieces of shrimp.You have to understand you are fishing in a fished out area some days its hard to even catch bait.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 553 Officer
    I ended up finding a bunch of both today. Underneath the docks, and under the bridge in the inlet. I didn’t have an aerator on me so I just kept replacing the ocean water every 30-45 minutes. By time I left they were all dead but two Pinfish.
    i was only out there 2 and half hours. I would have assumed they would have all been more hardier than that! 

Anyway, that sucked cause I wanted to use them for bait tonight.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the bucket had something in it before hand.
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 265 Deckhand
    I used to use an old 48 qt. ice chest with a pair of D battery powered aerator.
    I could keep a dozen finger mullet or 3 dozen pilchards alive in that setup for 12+ hours without problem.  
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,456 Captain
    What you need is what we used to call a down bucket (simple plastic bait bucket that floats with a thin rope to hang it in the water and keep your bait lively (no aerator needed) we also used a down net (a net bag with a floating ring)... for the same purpose.

What you'll quickly learn is that it's easy to end up with so much gear that it turns into a production - going fishing on foot - but a down bucket is a necessity for piers, bridges and jetties if you want to use live bait... You can also add a bridge gaff (great big weighted treble hook to your "down rope" so that you have a bait bucket on one end and the gaff on the other... pretty handy if you're on foot....

One of these days I may finally sell off all of my old pier fishing gear... Haven't used it much since the early eighties but it's still hanging up on the wall and ready to go....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    That is Very Cool Bob, Thankyou for sharing all of this!👍  This is what I need to get. I m going to hunt something down tonight.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    edited February 2019 #7
    You can find one anywhere that sells bait or tackle, you won’t have a problem. Don’t  over load it, just a few depending on size. It’s probably not an issue now, but another thing that keeps baits alive longer is cooler water. If your are using a bucket with or without an aerater, you can put some ice in a ziplock or a freezer pack to keep the water cooler. Ziplocks because ice has chlorine and will kill your bait......Go get em GRS.... make your time in sunny Florida count. Post up a report
    You should have been here yesterday
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,253 AG
    Use saltwater to make your ice... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    You can find one anywhere that sells bait or tackle, you won’t have a problem. Don’t  over load it, just a few depending on size. It’s probably not an issue now, but another thing that keeps baits alive longer is cooler water. If your are using a bucket with or without an aerater, you can put some ice in a ziplock or a freezer pack to keep the water cooler. Ziplocks because ice has chlorine and will kill your bait......Go get em GRS.... make your time in sunny Florida count. Post up a report
    Thankyou Saltygatorvet. The warm water in the bucket could have also probably been the reason they died, so Thankyou for these tips! 👍
    edited February 2019 #10
    I’ve always caught the Grunts for bait before, and never caught a Pinfish for some reason. But after finally catching some today, I was surprised by the little chompers(teeth) they got going on. And no matter what, they wouldn’t open their mouths for me to pull the hook out. That took some coaxing. Just a new little saltwater learning experience. Fun for me. 

I heard that Gulp Baits work for these small fish. Which I didn’t believe at first. So I bought these Florecent yellow Gulp Salmon Eggs. Perfect sized little Baits. And they tore them up! 

Everything ate them. Not only Grunts and Pinfish, but I couldn’t keep off the wrasses and sergeant major’s either which got annoying.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    duckmanJR said:
    Use saltwater to make your ice... 
    Good idea, but you can’t use tap water. I guess if you have access to seawater. I’m not worried about ice menting and lowering the salinity, it’s the chlorine from melted ice( tap water). 
    You should have been here yesterday