Skip to main content
Home Tropics

Favorite Short Flat Lure for Western Bahamas

probate-rprobate-r Posts: 419 Deckhand
So this year I'm going to try to do a little more trolling (or so I hope) in the Western Bahamas both out of West End and down south of Bimini.  My trolling spread is a little outdated and I'm trying to put together a couple new lure spread combinations to compliment the rigged bally/ lure combinations I run off my long and short riggers riggers.  I'm looking for a relatively large lure to run off the short corner line of my boat.  Looking for something pretty aggressive in its action, and something most likely in the 12-18" range as it will be the largest lure in the spread and run off of a 50 class rod.  We usually don't troll in bad/ rough weather so I would expect conditions to be in the light to moderate sea state (less than 3-5' seas).  With that size lure, I'm looking for a lure that would be appealing to anything from moderate size dolphin up to the smaller blues we might encounter.

As a side, I'm hoping to get proficient at running a holographic strip teaser off that side of the boat, with the intent to have this lure running behind and chasing the strip teaser.  

So whats your favorite short corner lure in your spread?

Tight Lines,
Shawn
Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"

Replies

• mike923mike923 Posts: 275 Deckhand
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,719 AG
    1st if you are going to pull a strip teaser try this
    Image result for mylar strip tease mann stretch 50 teaser dredgeit makes it come alive (thats cable it is on )
    as for the lure a softhead  wide range or a BB abaco prowler 
  • mike923mike923 Posts: 275 Deckhand
    Dragon bait I like the looks of that but curious why would you run the prowler in that position.  I agree with probate-r on more action and the prowler doesn't provide that. Don't get me wrong I do love the prowler in all sizes but its on the long rigger every time.  Needs to have an angle head to get more action on the corner.  The 1656 angle is great in this position(a little big for where he is fishing) and the Mini 1656 or the RPP are my choices or similar from other vendors.  
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,719 AG
    It has worked well for us 

• probate-rprobate-r Posts: 419 Deckhand
    Ok, so I'm stepping up and ready for some constructive criticism.....   :#

Since the wind is blowing and I'm not fishing right now, I figured I'd start the planning for this summer.  As I started out this thread, I'm trying to upgrade my Bahamas trolling spread.  I usually run a 5-6 line trolling spread, with 2 flat lines, 2 rigger lines, a long shotgun and sometimes a second bait behind the strip teaser that I run off the low rigger position.  THis is my every day dolphin/ billfish spread.  Tuna is a whole different category and not relevant here for this discussion.  Whats your feedback. criticism for the below 5/6 line spread?

Starting from the teaser position.... I mistakenly bought a large angled head Santos lure on ebay not paying attention to the actual size...., as I meant to buy one a lot smaller.  However, I think I like it as a teaser/ marlin bait right behind the strip teaser as it looks like a 5lb dolphin pushing bait.  Its huge, but I'd leave it in the spread just for the action/ commotion since i have an extra rod holder and can run the 6th line.  This is the optional 6th line....

Short flat is a Black Bart Mini 1656 angled face. in dolphin color.  Going with the dolphin pushing bait scheme on this side of the boat ... its behind the teaser and large lure... lots of action and motion up close with the angled face.

Long Flat is a Black Bart Eluthera Plunger.... again an angled face, mid sized dark lure this time to better stand out against/ silhouette against the white prop wash.  Lots of motion/ action on the lure.

Short rigger would be a flat face plunger or maybe a cupped face plunger.  Less motion but still good bubble trail.

:Long Rigger would be a ballyhoo' Islander combo, or skirted ballyhoo.

Shotgun would be either a Halco 190 or a smaller straight running, easy to catch, lure.  Might look to put a tuna jet here.

Ok, so where's my flaws in my thinking of the setup?  Thoughts on running the very large lure behind the strip teaser?  I appreciate the collective feedback of this forum as I learn a lot from the discussions!

Shawn

• privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
    that spread looks great. one option to consider is the Black Bart Tuna Candy in flying fish. that lure on the short rigger always gets hit for us. best of luck
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,736 Captain
    A few things I would do differently.

Staggering your spread increases hour chance of fouling lines.  When you make a a tight turn towards the "short" line it drops back and the "long" line gets pulled forward while being pulled together by the turn.  Put them at the same length and that can't happen.

For the shotgun I'd always go with a quite running lure.  It's back there to catch the lazy fish so it should be easy to grab.

Lastly, I've never had any luck with that Iilander Hula Hood lure.  I'd go with an IIlander Jr in front of a Large 'hoo.

Lastly (I lied about the first lastly) a word on teasers.  I LOVE teasers but for marlin fishing I use them almost entirely for bait and switch.  That means I have to see when a fish is on the teaser and I have to have a way to bring it (and the fish) to the boat before pulling the teaser and watching the fish make a 360 and crush a lure/bait that's been slipped in behind him.  For that reason I'm not a fan of strip teasers/dredges unless you have a tall enough tower to see a fish behind it and an electric reel and rigger set up to pull it away.  Otherwise the fish will stay focused on the dredge, you'll likely never see it, and it will loose interest and leave.
  • pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 769 Officer
    Marlin Magic Ruckus or a mini Ruckus , I haven't tried the mini yet , will be picking one up soon . The larger one usually gets hit very aggressively .

Joe Yee super plunger works really well too .

1656 mini slant and flat , have caught many dolphin on these as well . 

Moldcraft Super Chugger  and SR and Magnum wide range 

Pick up a Zuker Mean Joe Green as well 

It appears you have your hooks set in 12 o'clock position which is great . You should consider running tag lines when fishing lures , it will raise your hook up ratio by reducing your drop back . 

I would suggest at least one flippy floppy thing run off of your outriggers , 2 would be better . You can run the line through the first outrigger eye , or mount a pulley further up . You want your teasers out in the clean water . 
  • probate-rprobate-r Posts: 419 Deckhand
    Thanks pje, intrepid and privateer for the suggestions.  All you points are well taken....

I've never run tag lines before... we just run a double clip or single clip with teaser (off my deep drop reel) setup usually, but you have inspired me to look more into tag lines.  Time to enter the time warp wormhole that is Youtube to learn about taglines!
  • pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 769 Officer

See the outrigger clip at top , with the return weight to bring tag line back down after it releases . We use snap swivels to attach to clip . The tag line is same length as the halyard , by using these you eliminate all of that drop back , a lot quicker hookset . Easy to make , and really easy to figure out and use ... 
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,847 Admin
    edited April 2019 #14
    Our standard spread is very simple:
    Moldcraft Wide Ranges on the short flat lines, and either Billy Bait Mini Turbo Slammers or cedar plugs on the long 'riggers, with a bird and a small dolphin or tuna lure long down the middle.
    We've pulled them even and staggered and never had much difference in hookups, but we find less fouled lines when we stagger them by a wave. Don't know why, Intrepid?!
    For a teaser, we pull either a small squid daisy chain, or this bad boy:

httpswwwpakulacomimages20190213hippy-doctorjpg

K.I.S.S.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!