Home Fly Fishing

weeki wachee or any clear water fishing

SlickWillieSlickWillie GeorgiaPosts: 5 Greenhorn
hello everyone, 

i am a fisherman from georgia who occasionally dabbles in fly tying and fishing. we will be visiting florida soon and i want to bring my fly rod along for the adventure. 

being from georgia we have little to no clear water rivers or creeks that i have come across. my question is when tying flies for a clear water river like weeki wachee, rainbow or crystal river, should i keep the coloration and size natural or should i beef up the flies with a little more girth and color to make them more appealing?

Replies

• sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 655 Officer
    To some extent, it depends on the material you are using. Whether natural materials like bucktail or feathers, or artificial. Puglisi in his videos instructs to take as much material as you think you need, then take about half that. Most flies are tied with too-much material. I used to put flies in my pool to evaluate them a lot, and their silhouette in the water is very different than their silhouette on the vise. Additionally, tiers "pet" them into a perfect fish-shape: that's not how they look in the water.

I think silhouette is more important than color, and movement is more important than color. The least material that gives you the shape you want in the water is the answer.
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• SlickWillieSlickWillie GeorgiaPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    thanks a lot. i dont have a pool but i will for sure start tossing them in the bathtub to get an idea. i am guilty of tying with too much material. i have only been tying for about a year and its really enjoyable. i will look further into designs and try out a few different ones to see how i feel about them. Thank you again.