Juvenile tarpon

SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
Hi, complete newb at fly fishing. So yesterday I was fishing a brackish pond and there were tarpon blowing up on minnows but wouldn’t hit anything I threw at them. What flies by would you guys throw in this situation?

Replies

• bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 126 Deckhand
    white clouser minnow. I've thrown a lot at them, but never had more consistent success than with white clousers size 2. Good luck, they'll make your head spin sometimes.
  • SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    white clouser minnow. I've thrown a lot at them, but never had more consistent success than with white clousers size 2. Good luck, they'll make your head spin sometimes.
    Okay thank you, how heavy of tippet would you recommend?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,470 Captain
    Here's what we use down at Flamingo for babies up to around ten pounds.... 
    My version of the Crystal Schminnow in size #4 or  a bit larger - size #2... note the weedguard...

This is my own original - the Speedbug - the head is soft foam - the hook is a #1... We fish these like they were small mnnows - tiny pops and splashes working slow... 

The only leader we ever use for small tarpon is straight 20lb fluorocarbon - no bite tippet (classic Poor Boy leader, heavy butt section about four to four and a half feet long with a loop in one end - then a four or five foot section of 20lb leader with a loop in one end is looped to loop to the butt section ... 

Hope this helps... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 244 Deckhand
    Bobs schminnow is a go to but when they are keying in on those tiny minnows in brackish water I'd try it in #6 or even #8  in olive. An easy tie.
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
    Hard to beat a gurgler. Keep it small though. Topwater bites from little **** are the best. Could also use a schimmow or a all white wooley ****. 
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 126 Deckhand
    All great suggestions. I use clousers instead of schminnow types because you can cover more water, and different depths in the water column. As for tippet, I normally go for 25lb fluoro. You could probably get away with 20, but it's risky with anything more than 24(??) inches. I think between 25 or 30lb fluoro is a good bet.
  • SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    managed to jump a few in the ep minnow and got my first snook on fly, thanks everyone!
  • Randy RichterRandy Richter Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Would agree with those that have mentioned gurglers.  I've had great luck getting the babies to look up.
  • zzzzzzsplashzzzzzzsplash Posts: 499 Deckhand
    Fun stuff.  Does anybody have a spot or general suggestion of land based locations for juvenile tarpon and snook?  PM's accepted.  I do some boat fly fishing around Jupiter but haven't had any luck finding a place to throw the fly from land.  The beach is usually too crowded or too windy, and most spots along the ICW and rivers don't have a good access or clearance for an amateur fly thrower.