Home General Fishing

Transducer Mounting - Placement ?

haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,408 Captain
I have a Lowrance 9 ti that came with what seems like a very flimsy piece of plastic used to mount to the boat. Any video I have seen shows a metal bracket. Would this be a custom piece, and is this plastic thing reliable? 
I'm also wondering about the placement of the transducer considering my boat is a tunnel hull. The previous owner had a much smaller unit and had the TD mounted right above the tunnel and directly behind the motor which doesn't seem right. Does the tunnel require different placement than the conventional 1 foot to the side of the motor? TIA

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    It's not the same thing, but I suspect it's similar... on my last 3 Action Craft flats boats they've had 'pocket tunnels'.  I have mounted the transducer off to the side of it and not directly in front of the motor and it's been fine.  I personally wouldn't mount it right in front of the motor... it could cause turbulence and aeration or cavitation... it could be fine, but why risk it.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,274 Officer
    I have the Lowrance "3 in 1" transducer on my boat. It has the non-metal mount, and I have not had any problems with it at all. But I don't fish real shallow where it might hit bottom, even though it does have the friction adjustment like the metal mounts that allow it to tilt up if you hit something.
    Mount it off to the side.so you will have undusturbed water flow to your prop.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • HooknCooksHooknCooks OrlandoPosts: 83 Greenhorn
    My H-Bird comes with a plastic piece too and I've not had issues with it. 
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,517 Captain
    Mount the transducer where it conforms to the hull shape.  Not above or lower, so that the sound waves aren't impeded by turbulence.  Too low, like salty dog says, it may hit bottom.  Too high, it'll pick up hull turbulence.  I would not mount it in the "tunnel".

• haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,408 Captain
    Does this look right? This is where the former owner had the TD.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yAcwWRVI9ImRXXswWsAuXqkXMQZlD80m 
    edited February 2019 #7

Off to the side of the tunnel is good. I can't tell about the transducer height from just the mount. The actual face of the transducer needs to be slightly below the bottom of the hull.... maybe a quarter inch or so. Otherwise when up on plane there will be an air gap between the transducer and the water and you will not get a reading.. Hold a yardstick as a straightedge along the bottom of the hull to check it, and move the tranducer up or down as needed and then tighten it at that height. If your new transducer isn't adjustable for up and down, Hold it in place at the right height and mark the screw hole locations with a pencil.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

• haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,408 Captain

Off to the side of the tunnel is good. I can't tell about the transducer height from just the mount. The actual face of the transducer needs to be slightly below the bottom of the hull.... maybe a quarter inch or so. Otherwise when up on plane there will be an air gap between the transducer and the water and you will not get a reading.. Hold a yardstick as a straightedge along the bottom of the hull to check it, and move the tranducer up or down as needed and then tighten it at that height. If your new transducer isn't adjustable for up and down, Hold it in place at the right height and mark the screw hole locations with a pencil.

I was concerned about the step in the hull.
    Mount it on the step, where the previous one was. If you mount it farther back on the actual transom there will not be a good water flow across the face of the transducer while running.

• biglarbiglar Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Every time this subject comes up, my High Horse comes charging out of the barn and I just gotta jump on board with my 2¢ worth:

I "never" screw "anything" to the transom of a fiberglass boat.  Screws don't hold well and especially, don't seal well, leading to water intrusion.  At the lower transom, that's a disaster.

Get a 1" - 1½" thick piece of hardwood sufficiently large to mount the transducer to - where-ever you decide to mount it.  Epoxy that piece of wood to the transom and use thickened epoxy to fair it to the bottom, then mount your transducer to that.  Easy to replace if necessary, holds rock solid, lasts forever and won't leak.  This is a very important step - don't fool with it.  Do it right.