Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Pier Rod/ Reel Setup Suggestions

I've never pier fished since my primary saltwater fishing has been inshore wade fishing near FMB but this year we are coming to the Southeast coast and I'd like to give pier fishing a try.

What is a good reel size as well as rod length, and weight class, line pound test, etc. for fishing live bait?  I'm purchasing a conventional reel and am considering mono rather than braid but am definitely open to suggestions regarding line as this is totally 100% new territory for me.

I'm not looking for shark sized equipment but am thinking more in the line of kings or other fish in that size class.

"ANY" comments, ideas, and suggestions are not only appreciated but highly encouraged.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• TugasTugas Posts: 206 Deckhand
    When i fished piers I used 9 and 10 ft glass rods with torium and Trinidad 20/30s I used 30lb Momoi diamond mono ... noteale cheap options for rod are star delux 49 or crowder LB series .. I prefer the crowder since they can double as a true bottom fishing rod . They are more expensive than the star though 

I also kept a light spinner with 10lb braid for mackerels on jigs .. 
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 521 Officer
    edited February 2019 #3
    Tugas said:
    When i fished piers I used 9 and 10 ft glass rods with torium and Trinidad 20/30s I used 30lb Momoi diamond mono ... noteale cheap options for rod are star delux 49 or crowder LB series .. I prefer the crowder since they can double as a true bottom fishing rod . They are more expensive than the star though 

I also kept a light spinner with 10lb braid for mackerels on jigs .. 
    Thank you so much as this is good info.  I had seen the Torium reels and they look very nice.  I had considered them along with the Avet MXL5.8.

I was not familiar with the Star rods and will check them out.  My original thinking was to buy a heavy action Ugly Stik but I'm certain there are several better choices.

My guess is that pier fishing can be tough on equipment especially the rods considering all of the activity, moving around other anglers, and having the rods leaning against the rail.

I'm excited to give this fishing style a try.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,119 AG
    Another suggestion is head to the local pier and start looking at the setups people have and ask them what they're fishing for.   You might get some less than favorable responses depending on the person, but you're nice and chat them up you could get some great information.   Local bait and tackle shops as well, some will sell used equipment you might get cheap as well.   
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
    Another suggestion is head to the local pier and start looking at the setups people have and ask them what they're fishing for.   You might get some less than favorable responses depending on the person, but you're nice and chat them up you could get some great information.   Local bait and tackle shops as well, some will sell used equipment you might get cheap as well.   
    Thank you.  Good advice
    UPDATE: Tugas, although I haven't made a firm decision yet your recommendation of the Torium reel has me giving them serious consideration.  First, the reviews seem very good online, and secondly I used Shimano both spinning and bait casting exclusively during my tournament bass fishing years and loved them.  Thanks
  • pk911pk911 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    try going to the local tackle shops close to where you want to fish and ask them what should you use. the local shops have a lot of information regarding tackle, rods, reels, and where to fish. just my 2 cents
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 308 Deckhand
    I like the Thunnis, has the bait runner secondary drag... very versatile and the 8000 has enough power for just about anything....

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Bass tar I would call Lott brothers in North Palm beach and ge their recommendations.  Lotts has been around for a long time and they would provide great insight.  Finally, denepding on the time of year you are coming over could change the rod/reel setup. For example snook fishing in summer may want to use a different rig.
    Thanks so much!  These are all terrific recommendations and I'm looking into them.
  • 20psimr20psimr Posts: 115 Deckhand
    edited February 2019 #11
    I like the Thunnis, has the bait runner secondary drag... very versatile and the 8000 has enough power for just about anything....

Absolutely LOVE my Thunnus CI4 8000's. Pulled up a 9ft lemon that ate my dinner on 15-40 class spinner phenix rod I built and 30 lb braid. After that I have complete confidence in that setup to bring up anything around here, so I built a carbon copy. Just would prefer to not have to do that again haha! Arms were BURNIN!
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc