2018/2019 Duck Season (Pic Heavy)

Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,096 Officer
edited February 11 in Northeast Fishing Reports #1
Joined forces with Guanagator for the most memorable duck season I've had in my 11 years of chasing these birds. We both shot multiple new species and collected a few bands along the way. We logged over 5000 miles together this season hunting every corner of the state from the panhandle to the everglades. Sad to see the season go but excited to pull the fishing gear back out!

My first Cinnamon teal

Capt Chris Herrera from Palm Coast

Guanagator and I

Gulf Coast Redheads with Guanagator

Bluebill banded in Liverpool, Illinois that either Guana gator or I shot, we're not sure since we didnt notice it until we were picking up our birds. 

We both shot our first surf scoters on this trip. 

Banded bluebill and surf scoter

My first Fulvous whistling duck

My Blue Winged Teal that was banded in Manitoba, Canada

Until next year!

Replies

• GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 379 Deckhand
    Best season yet by far, good times and great memories. 
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,096 Officer
    edited February 11 #3
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,037 Officer

Nice season.  Great photos!

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,451 Officer
    Nice
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • no peekinno peekin Posts: 796 Officer
    Looks like an awesome season to put it mildly.
    BIGFISH ROOFING. 570-1973. ccc1330441
  • StayinLazyStayinLazy Posts: 462 Deckhand
    Killin it Joe!!
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 714 Officer
    Dang!  Thanks for sharing
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,137 Officer
    nice!!  havn't done any Duck hunting here in Fla...  did some in LA when I was there 10 +years ago but you make it look like we are missing something good here... congrats boys!!

Pretty lucky seeing bands 2 weekends in a row.

Made a trip to the Mississippi flyway.  
    Gauge had a great first season, he’s confused why we’re sleeping in on weekends now. 
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,037 Officer

Great photos thanks for sharing!

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

• JoyTimeJoyTime Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Man, you guys killed it! Great times. Thank you for sharing. Makes me want to go

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 702 Officer
    Pretty sad a little creature can fly almost a thousand miles only to be shot dead by a man who goes by buttlovin
    we need more internet money
    Pretty sad a little creature can fly almost a thousand miles only to be shot dead by a man who goes by buttlovin
    thats mr. buttlovin to you
  • shamlin32shamlin32 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Nice man. Looks like a lot of fun.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 619 Officer
    good stuff!
  • markleverette88markleverette88 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Awesome season for yall!
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,305 Admiral
    NICE SEASON !!

THOSE GULF REDHEADS ARE BIG BIRDS !!.......LOOKS LIKE....
    Sea Snake said:
    NICE SEASON !!

THOSE GULF REDHEADS ARE BIG BIRDS !!.......LOOKS LIKE....
    Thanks, Steve! And yeah, those are the biggest birds we shoot around here. They're literally twice the size as the blue winged teal. 
  • BustinEmBustinEm Low CountyPosts: 247 Deckhand
    Nice birds fellas! Hard work pays off.
  • MaysportMaysport Posts: 198 Deckhand
    If you put in 5000 miles, you deserve the nice bag you got!
  • LAsportsmanLAsportsman Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Great pics/season! Every year I say I'm going to give up trying to find ducks in Florida, then I see a post like this. Thanks for keeping the hope alive!
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 170 Deckhand
    For all of you duck hunters or aspiring ones. I'm going to give you a tip that is different from most you'll read about and is more than 40 years old. I'll give you the place, the almost specific location and some other pertinent info.
    !) the Place: Area 2 in Merritt Island NWR - south end of Mosquito Lagoon.
    2) The Almost Specific Location: Ponds right next to the old railroad dike. That's as far south as you could legally hunt back then.
    3) Technique: A mixture of ****, widgeon, pintail and teal decoys with a few seagull decoys mixed in.
    4) Time of Day: This is the most important factor and it's not at dawn. You can start early but YOU'LL PROBABLY SHOOT MORE DUCKS AFTER 10 AM -- THIS NOT A TYPO ERROR!!! The people up north of us used to sky bust until 8 or 9 AM and we'd only shoot a few ducks then. One day I took a high school buddy of mine (Wade Hastings) to a pond right across the canal - I didn't have a boat and we could wade across the canal there - and we decided to shoot until about noon. We didn't have much luck but after the shooting stopped up north of us, at about 10 or so ducks started regularly coming into our spread from south of the dike, where hunting wasn't allowed. From then until noon was one of the better days I had so far that year. We shot several widgeon and teal. The ducks felt safe after all of the shooting up north stopped for a while and they would come right in to the decoys. This became my go to spot when conditions were warm , no wind, etc., in other words, not great duck hunting conditions. I let the guys at the check station know what I was doing so they wouldn't come looking after me. I hunted there basically every weekend and several weekdays so we knew each other pretty well. Sometimes they even recommended a spot or two for me based on what they saw out in the marsh!. those were great times for me and I hope the rules and conditions haven't changed too much. You might want to try this spot and technique sometimes. Good luck with your hunting and God Bless you all!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,384 Captain
    edited March 25 #29
    Restricted area now. No ponds near the railroad you could have hunted in the last 20 plus years and probably 1/1000th the ducks you used to see.
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 170 Deckhand
    I hunted there in the late 70s. How far up did they make the restricted area? I drove the dikes to the north about 4 or 5 years ago and don't remember any part of that being restricted but it was to the north a few miles. I entered at the radar building(?) I believe. Oh, well I was just trying to be helpful. Maybe my strategy would work in other areas there. I never tried it in other areas.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,384 Captain
    Well any pond near a railroad in area 2 is a restricted area
     Unless you have your areas mixed up. No hunting south of the beach road, that's the southern end of area 2