Marathon Rental?

Hey Everyone, 

Coming down with 5-6 guys for a week of fishing. Been looking at lots of different rentals. Coming down I believe May 18-25. Does anyone have any suggestions? Looking at maybe KCB, or Sombrero areas? In the FAQ there was mention of a forum member having a rental but the link doesn't work. Would love to give someone here the business. 

I think I've got the boat rental places sorted out from previous threads. I did want to ask if anyone had used Key Colony Boat Rentals before? They had some nice cats and the prices were decent but haven't seen them mentioned before.  

Thanks everyone, 
Doug 

Replies

• BonesmdBonesmd Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    This is available week of June 2 if you have any flexibility. Its the nicest unit at Indigo Reef. Check out the pics! Boat slip for up to 31’ boat just a few steps away. Bait freezer for fishermen,swimming pool,ice machine, water views from all the rooms. 

http://packandrelax.com/299510/#amenities-title

• UK AnglerUK Angler Posts: 252 Deckhand
    Ive used KCB for a couple of years. Their cats are comfy rides and are pretty good for the money. They are OK ( a bit tired), but both years we have had to get them out to do repairs on them which is frustrating when you want to go fishing. I'd use them again- but make sure everything you need is working before they leave (Lights, Livewell, Radio etc.)
  • rboyerrboyer Jacksonville, FLPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    My only suggestion to you...if you have to book through a rental agency is that you do not use AirBnb, VRBO, etc. Many times you can find the same house on a private rental agency website (premierkeys.com, etc.) and save a few hundred bucks...
  • MountainMMountainM Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thank you for the advice. I have been noticing this. I'll see what I can track down! 

Dolphin should likely be around by then not too far offshore right? Maybe some Wahoo, and should be able to find tuna at the humps?
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,835 Captain
    Humps if there is current, some of the wahoo head north
    Dolphin find the weeds or debris
    Grouper opens May 1st along with the deep drop fish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

Oh, does anyone have any advice... KCB, or Sombrero beach area? A couple of the guys probably won't fish every day and will be looking for beaches, and places to wet the whistle.  
    Thanks everyone so far!
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,835 Captain
    Either has bars and beach - so where ever you find the best house for you
    Cab ride for $6 anywhere between the bridges
    fishing same area from both places
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

One last question... for now! lol 

Looking at a World Cat 26.6 from Key Colony Rentals, it's got 175 suzuki's on it. Is it going to be a pig on fuel or not bad? Has anyone here rented this boat in the past? Going to try to get this firmed up this week. 
  • wvanglerwvangler Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Rented the 30’ Hydrocat from them. Late getting the boat ready - like 6 hours. Had a leak in the steering line that cost us most of day. Then had a problem with a fuel line collapsing that slowed one engine to no more than idle speed and ruined another day and a half. They acted annoyed that they had to come service the boat and refused to consider crediting us for the lost time. Once was enough. 
    MountainM said:
    One last question... for now! lol 

Looking at a World Cat 26.6 from Key Colony Rentals, it's got 175 suzuki's on it. Is it going to be a pig on fuel or not bad? Has anyone here rented this boat in the past? Going to try to get this firmed up this week. 

We had it last year. Its not great on fuel. But its a big boat that needs some pushing. Very stable  at rest if you have folks on board that have sea sickness problems. Its a bit slower than the kon tiki one (we had that the year before) and thirstier.
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 799 Officer
    If you’re serious about a boat rental look at Pro Gear. They deliver to Marathon. 

gruntking said:
    If you’re serious about a boat rental look at Pro Gear. They deliver to Marathon. 

Thats good to hear- we're using pro gear this year. Bit more expensive but I'm hoping the extra few quid stops me having to wait at the dock whilst something else gets repaired. I spoke to the owner when I was booking and they have all new electronics fitted this winter to the boats. If I can't catch fish with the level of kit available on the boat now- I ought to pack up fishing.
  • Perch6Perch6 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    UK, we have rented houses in KCB the last few years and love it. Whats nice is most rental houses come with a cabana club membership. Cabana club has a beautiful beach, Olympic pool, bar and is usually with in walking distance. Also in the community is Havana Jacks and Sparkys (best happy hour in Marathon). Not to mention easy access to the Atlantic and Gulf side.