When nothing else works, deep drop

Been targeting Yelloweye and Vermilion off Miami.  Haven't heard much else and at least these fish are EXCELLENT eating.  Current was strong this weekend making it a little tough but with hard work managed enough for 4 people to catch dinner.  As to the rigs, I'll just say I like to keep things simple as with all the fishing I do.

Replies

• FishFactsTVFishFactsTV Miami, FLPosts: 23 Greenhorn
    Thats a lot of fish.  Seems like it would be a lot of work without electric reels.
    Check out my page on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/fishfactstv
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,593 Captain
    Nice catch.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,128 Captain
    Good job. I do, however, take a few minutes and try to send baby Snowies back down with a deep model Seaqualizer. Especially the ones where their eyes haven't bugged. So far I haven't seen any float back up. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• xeniaxenia Posts: 363 Deckhand
    I had mine somewhere in my cabin, and by the time I got to it I didn't think it was going to make it.  We also had a silky shark come up behind the boat a couple times, so most likely he would have gotten to it anyway.  I was not targeting snowies at all, and felt bad this one got hooked.  I should have had the seaqualizer ready to go before starting, but it just didn't occur to me.  I had my venting tool which I use on short YE, but we didn't get any shorts this time.  Verms and porgies just go straight down no problem.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,128 Captain
    edited February 12 #6
    Xenia, in a recent thread you wondered why there weren't any reports. You just gave a good one and even included a screenshot, (which I wouldn't have done) and the responses are minimal. I just don't think there are many hardcore offshore fisherman here anymore. Just a handful. The few reports on the forum are mostly inshore stuff from the left coast or a few from the Keys by Captains promoting their business.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• xeniaxenia Posts: 363 Deckhand
    I figured if I'm going to complain about the lack of posts, I might as well post when I go out.  I tried to give some helpful information (species, depth, current, area) without giving the exact location.  I also implied that fishing for other species is somewhat slow, which is why I went deep dropping.  You're right, I would have expected more discussion from a post like this but I guess there's just no interest.  BTW, next time I go deep dropping I'll have my seaqualizer ready before the first drop.  I really wasn't expecting a small snowy from this spot.  Luckily there is no size limit, but there's no need to catch one that small.
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 669 Officer
    Xenia, in a recent thread you wondered why there weren't any reports. You just gave a good one and even included a screenshot, (which I wouldn't have done) and the responses are minimal. I just don't think there are many hardcore offshore fisherman here anymore. Just a handful. The few reports on the forum are mostly inshore stuff from the left coast or a few from the Keys by Captains promoting their business.

It could get better but it will take time. People are gun shy to say or post here because somebody will have some BS to say...IMO.  Xenia doesn’t seem to let it get to him.  It’s a shame there is some ssa backwards moderation.

All that said GREAT little box of fish. There is nothing like hearing the reel go off while trolling but the fact is bottom fishing is what I’d prefer to do.
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report. I can't speak for other Anglers, but personally I have neither a boat at the moment for offshore fishing, let alone deep dropping. I do enjoy the pics and reports though, please keep the coming.
  • TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 204 Deckhand
    Nice work, thanks for the report. There are a few of us still around that do appreciate you taking the time to post up👍👍